Best low priced photo printer

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
December 4, 2004 9:07:25 PM

There are lots of $100 photo printers, some with scanners.

Can anyone recommend a good one? Epson, HP, Canon? I mostly print up
to 8x10.

Currently I have an Epson Photo 700 - and can't find a local shop with
the color ink.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 12:38:37 AM

One choice might be the Epson R200.

Bill Crocker

<tim@tpg1.com> wrote in message
> There are lots of $100 photo printers, some with scanners.
>
> Can anyone recommend a good one? Epson, HP, Canon? I mostly print up
> to 8x10.
>
> Currently I have an Epson Photo 700 - and can't find a local shop with
> the color ink.

Anonymous
December 5, 2004 11:35:23 AM

Bill Crocker wrote:
> One choice might be the Epson R200.
>
> Bill Crocker

We have the Epson R300 (like the R200 but you can also print directly from
the memory card without a computer) and we've been delighted with the
quality and ease of use. About GBP 99.

David
December 5, 2004 1:05:15 PM

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 08:35:23 -0000, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@invalid.com> wrote:

>Bill Crocker wrote:
>> One choice might be the Epson R200.
>>
>> Bill Crocker
>
>We have the Epson R300 (like the R200 but you can also print directly from
>the memory card without a computer) and we've been delighted with the
>quality and ease of use. About GBP 99.
>
>David

I have the R300, and I like it a lot. But it's over the $100 point.
The R200 is essentially the R300 with the ability to print without the
computer not there. And it can be had for under $100 (Fry's
Electronics just had it on sale for less than $100).
http://shop3.outpost.com/search?search_type=regular&sqx...
OK, so it's only a nickle under, but that counts! :-)

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

David J Taylor wrote:

> Bill Crocker wrote:
>
>>One choice might be the Epson R200.
>>
>>Bill Crocker
>

> We have the Epson R300 (like the R200 but you can also print directly from
> the memory card without a computer) and we've been delighted with the
> quality and ease of use. About GBP 99.

Only $79 US (with the purchase of a new Macintosh. ! <s>)

What paper do you recommend? I am printing only on Ilford Classic Pearl,
but would like to expand my repertoire, esp. if it's a not-expensive
paper with a decent profile available.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

John McWilliams wrote:
[]
> What paper do you recommend? I am printing only on Ilford Classic
> Pearl, but would like to expand my repertoire, esp. if it's a
> not-expensive paper with a decent profile available.

Epson Photo Paper 194gm/m2 weight produces excellent results - about GBP
0.15/sheet or less in the UK. Just for casual photo printing, mind -
nothing fancy.

David
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 9:29:53 PM

"Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in

> One choice might be the Epson R200.
>
> Bill Crocker
>

> <tim@tpg1.com> wrote in message
>> There are lots of $100 photo printers, some with scanners.
>>
>> Can anyone recommend a good one? Epson, HP, Canon? I mostly print up
>> to 8x10.
>>
>> Currently I have an Epson Photo 700 - and can't find a local shop
with
>> the color ink.

And an excellent choice at that. I got mine at Sam's Club for $89.xx.
Very pleased with the results so far.

Mike
December 9, 2004 9:29:54 PM

In article <Xns95BA6ACAFE850mikejwilcoxintelcom@10.7.208.6>,
mike.j.wilcox@intel.com says...
> "Bill Crocker" <wcrocker007@comcast.net> wrote in
>
> > One choice might be the Epson R200.
> >
> > Bill Crocker
> >

> > <tim@tpg1.com> wrote in message
> >> There are lots of $100 photo printers, some with scanners.
> >>
> >> Can anyone recommend a good one? Epson, HP, Canon? I mostly print up
> >> to 8x10.
> >>
> >> Currently I have an Epson Photo 700 - and can't find a local shop
> with
> >> the color ink.
> >>

> And an excellent choice at that. I got mine at Sam's Club for $89.xx.
> Very pleased with the results so far.
>
> Mike

As the owner of several Epsons and several Canon printers, I can HIGHLY
recommend the following:

Canon i650
Epson r200
Canon Pixma i4000.

Though the i4000 is only a 4 color printer, it seems to do as good a job as
the other printers! I'm amazed...

On Glossy paper it is VERY hard to see a difference from the Epson r200 or
the Canon i650 when comparing prints (on the same brand/grade of paper) from
the ones from the i4000.

The i4000 is currently around 149 dollars (US) and the r200 is 99 dollars
(US) but since the ink for the Epson is a bit more expensive (and you have to
deal with "chipped cartridges) the Canon Pixma 4000 makes comparable prints.
You can only see a difference under STRONG magnification (sometimes not even
then)

Perhaps its got to do with the size of the dots or the drivers' algorythm.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.