Windows only shows 4GB instead of 8GB

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I have an MSI Big Bang Fuzion motherboard

if I install RAM in slots

A1/A2 then Windows reports 8GB

If I put ram in slots
A1/B1 then the BIOS reports 8GB, but Windows 7 64-bit only reports 4GB (I tried with Ubuntu 10.10 x64 and it also reports only 4GB)

My question is
1) If I put memory in A1/B1 (dual channel mode), should I have 8GB of total RAM in Windows, or only 4GB? (I assume it's 4GB BUT they are running in Dual mode (4GBxDual Mode)

All slots are working A1/A2/B1/B2, I've tried them all

Thanks for your response

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Well the computer feels slower in Dual Channel than in Single Channel

Here are the problems that I have

1)
58185465.png

10937836.png

However, on CPU-Z, it reports correctly

60798890.png

Windows doesn't use real time readings. And overclocking may reduce the speed of the ram; your motherboard may automatically adjust the ram settings to keep the system from crashing due to the overclocking. If you feel the system is faster in single channel mode, then run it that way. When all four ram slots are filled, the command rate changes from 1t to 2t to accomadate using all four slots. There's all sorts of factors in deciding on your cpu and ram settings. You'll just have to experiment with the bios settings. I decided to manually overclock my cpu to 160 fsb to get my new ram running at full speed; but suprise, my old 1098 mac pro ram is also running at 1600 without a voltage increase. Now my whole system feels faster, and my ssd speed also increased. Don't know if it will remain stable, but I'll keep using it until I have problems.

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Well the thing is 8GB Single Channel feels faster

but I do want to know what's the root of the problem

is it the motherboard?
is it the memory?

Or is it something in the technology that I don't understand?

Check your ram speed in both pairs of slots to see how fast it's running using cpuz. I can't be of more help; not worth getting another board or changing ram; your ram is plenty fast. I'm telling you that you need to try various settings and see what works best for your board and ram. I had to manually set my cpu fsb at 160 to get my old ram running faster. I have a program by msi in the bios that tests the ram before selecting the fastest cpu fsb to use; it didn't work in my case; I had to force it using manual settings. Find the cmos jumper (to reset the bios) as your system may not post if you get too aggressive with the timings or cpu fsb. Good luck.

All the screens but the ones I/we need.
1. De-select the Maximum Memory.
2. Need the CPUz {SPD} tab
3. Resource Monitor - my assumption is 1. 4GB+ as H/W reserved or 2. Worst isn't registering in the BIOS.
4. What CPU and what exact BIOS changes for your OC.
5. What slots are sticks installed; install per manual.
6. Bent CPU pins are a huge cause of 'missing' RAM especially with P55/LGA 1156 MOBOs.

For now, Load Optimized/Defaults in the BIOS.

Probable causes: 1. Incompatible RAM, 2. Incorrect BIOS {incl bad OC}, 3. Incorrect Slots, 4. Bad Sticks, 5. Memory Mapping, 6. Bent CPU Pins, 7. Rare - partitions with 32-bit OS.

There's no point in running Memtest unless the BIOS can 'see' all 8GB; if the 8GB is showing-up in the BIOS then run 2 passes.

Change per illustrated:
Boot_OPT.gif

Post the Resource Monitor image below:
RM_7PRO6GB.gif

Windows asessment can also be used once you get everything set up the way you like and find an overclock setting that works. Your scores won't change alot; mine only went up an average of .2 points, except for the onboard graphics, which rose .5 points.

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
with the 8GB in A1 and A2 windows sees that and runs in dual channel mode correct.?
or A1 and B1.?

Slot 1 and 3

BIOS says 8GB, but Windows and Linux display 4GB
CPU-z displays 8GB

Slots 1 and 2
BIOS, Windows, Linux, CPU-Z display 8GB

So I can run 8GB in Single Channel, but in dual channel it drops to 4GB

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

I can swap the RAM again and see what happens

I will launch Resource Monitor this time

Again, BIOS sees 8GB, Windows and Linux see 4GB

When I post, BIOS displays

8000MB OK - Dual Channel

or some number close to that

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
The main problem with this motherboard/CPU combination will be in the future, if I ever need 10GB of RAM, or 12GB, or something like that

HOWEVER I want to find the cause of this problem

Thanks everyone for helping

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
did you set it back to maximum memory in 'msconfig'.?

Yes
I unchecked the box that says 'Maximum Memory' in MSCONFIG

I also checked the box that says "Make all boot settings permanent"

This is with

8GB DDR3 Dual Channel @ 1066Mhz

Everything Failsafe defaults, except RAM voltage running at 1.65V

do you think running at 1.60V will make a difference?

In all honesty, I think Intel for some weird reason is giving a lot of users a lot of problems with RAM

Maybe next generations solve this problem, from what I understand, this is the first time the memory controller is inside the CPU

Anyway, here is my last screenshot:

64166630.png

CPU-Z displays 8GB (Dual Channel), BIOS displays the same
Windows displays 4GB

The other 4GB are Hardware Reserved

No idea what the heck that means :)

All the screens but the ones I/we need.
[strike]1. De-select the Maximum Memory.[/strike]
2. Need the CPUz {SPD} tab
[strike]3. Resource Monitor - my assumption is 1. 4GB+ as H/W reserved [/strike]or 2. Worst isn't registering in the BIOS.
4. What CPU and what exact BIOS changes for your OC.
5. What slots are sticks installed; install per manual.
6. Bent CPU pins are a huge cause of 'missing' RAM especially with P55/LGA 1156 MOBOs.

I still need items 2, 4, and 5.

In the meantime since the RAM is visable in the BIOS, rule-out faulty RAM. Create a bootable Memtest CD/DVD {ISO/zip} and run at least 2 passes. http://www.memtest.org/

It means the the BIOS and/or CPU Memory Controller cannot process the RAM as I mentioned before -

I'm 'trying' the get you through the process of determining which is the cause...

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
What other screenshots do you need?

I think it might be bent pins (on a microscopic level), because I checked it and it looks fine

Are the pins ultra sensitive or something like that?

I bought this mobo as an open box so it could be a possibility