Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking 7970 ghz and crysis 3 keeps closing in about 30 min

Last response: in Overclocking
February 25, 2013 6:59:42 PM

Hi i overclocked my sapphire 7970 ghz vaporx 3gb to between 1180 and 1225 coreclock and 1600-1700vram. Also oc my cpu 3570k to 4.5 ghz and runs prime95 between 1.28 and tried up to 1.315 on air. Still when i play crysis 3 it plays for about 30 min perfectly then it says crysis 3 encountered an error and closes. Could it be the clocks are off or a driver needs updating? I updated the ccc to 8 and 13.2 beta and updated inteldrivers and mobo bios. Could a sound card or something elses drivers be doing this? Should i reinstall crysis? It plays 3dmark at p10225 fine no crashes. No system shutdown crashes. The gpu temps max at 65 maybe a few deg. higher. The cpu gets to about 70c on the most demanding parts, usually its 55c. Set my gpu fan to custom speeds to make sure it stays cool. Its really annoying. Brand new build. Other games and heaven play fine. I did have guild wars2 crash but i think i fixed that with lower gpu clock and higher cpu volts. I will try some more scenarios tonight to try to narrow the prob down. Maybe reinstall crysis overnight. Crysis 3 looks amazing on 1440p btw. The rain and lighting shadows ect are amazing. Very bright detailed and colorful. When i turn msaa off it seems to be fine.on ultra 1440p I get 20fps with msaa x8 and 50fps with no aa.
February 25, 2013 7:07:40 PM

The driver finder websites show i have 10 out of date drivers but they charge $30 to install them for you. Arrrg
m
l
March 2, 2013 1:16:24 PM

Those sites are usually BS so i wouldnt bother with them
m
l
Related resources
March 2, 2013 3:43:24 PM

What kind of motherboard do you have?
m
l
March 2, 2013 6:42:37 PM

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-GD65.html

Maybe helpful but if you click the link and the download tab and scroll to the bottom MSI offers a software to maintain drivers. Unlike other ones that are scams and charge you.

"Live Update 5 is a powerful update tool with user-friendly interface, provides an automatic scan and download for your MSI products. Using this service to keep your system in the most updated environment."

Utilizing this can rule out other driver issues.
m
l
March 3, 2013 2:56:16 PM

Thanks. I have live update 5 but it mostly wants to download audio and video programs and antivirus software. I did use it to download the few drivers it let me. So i guess it must be an overclock issue or i need to redownload the game i guess. Ill try adding volts or clocking less. Then ill redownload game if that dont work and let u guys know
m
l
March 11, 2013 1:26:00 PM

I have the same problem with my Geforce 680! All other games and programs run perfect overclocked, but with even the slightest hint of overclocking Crysis 3 shuts down after a few minutes - temps are in fine (between 68-71 when Crysis 3 crashes). Crysis 2 does the same thing too! Most infuriating...
m
l
!