Sign in with
Your question

Interesting, Frustrating Wireless Adapter Issue. Thoughts?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
April 30, 2010 3:13:35 AM

I have three computers using wireless adapters in my home. The one in my PC never works right. When I'm surfing the web the speed will suddenly decrease to almost nothing. Signal strength is always "excellent," even when reporting 1 mbps speed. It's like it hits a brick wall. Progress bar moves on a video, for example, then just stops. The interesting part is that right click and repairing fixes it, initially. I have a 10 MB connection with my ISP. While the problem is going on speedtest.net will show 0.32 Mbps downstream. Immediately after repairing it will go back to 10.2 or so. But a few minutes or seconds later it will hit that brick wall and crawl along until resetting again.

Any ideas what could cause this? I have been through two routers and all of the settings changes I could think of, and the connection has done this the whole time. I've changed the antenna position, moved the router around, tested it with a cable, and no luck. The router and PC are in adjacent, interior rooms, btw. Other computers work, no problemo.

I'd appreciate any insight.

Adapter - Linksys Wireless G-PCI
Router - Linksys by Cisco
April 30, 2010 5:31:07 AM

davamp said:
I have three computers using wireless adapters in my home. The one in my PC never works right. When I'm surfing the web the speed will suddenly decrease to almost nothing. Signal strength is always "excellent," even when reporting 1 mbps speed. It's like it hits a brick wall. Progress bar moves on a video, for example, then just stops. The interesting part is that right click and repairing fixes it, initially. I have a 10 MB connection with my ISP. While the problem is going on speedtest.net will show 0.32 Mbps downstream. Immediately after repairing it will go back to 10.2 or so. But a few minutes or seconds later it will hit that brick wall and crawl along until resetting again.

Any ideas what could cause this? I have been through two routers and all of the settings changes I could think of, and the connection has done this the whole time. I've changed the antenna position, moved the router around, tested it with a cable, and no luck. The router and PC are in adjacent, interior rooms, btw. Other computers work, no problemo.

I'd appreciate any insight.

Adapter - Linksys Wireless G-PCI
Router - Linksys by Cisco

Hello and welcome to Tom's.

If you're in the UK, I suggest changing all the ADSL filters and checking that you have one in every telephone socket in the system and that includes burglar alarms that can ring the police, Sky boxes - everything.

Also, as the PC has a PCI card, it might benefit from an extended aerial that can sit above the level of the PC in case the tower itself is helping to block the signal.
May 1, 2010 2:02:29 AM

Saga Lout said:
Hello and welcome to Tom's.

If you're in the UK, I suggest changing all the ADSL filters and checking that you have one in every telephone socket in the system and that includes burglar alarms that can ring the police, Sky boxes - everything.

Also, as the PC has a PCI card, it might benefit from an extended aerial that can sit above the level of the PC in case the tower itself is helping to block the signal.

Thanks for the advice. I have cable, so the filters aren't needed. I'll look for a antenna, certainly can't hurt.
!