Sign in with
Your question

Modifying 120mm fan for antec 902 case to cool gtx 470

Last response: in Components
June 17, 2010 7:17:35 AM

So i recently bought a a Antec 902 case for my new rig i also bought a COOL MASTER hyper 212+ cpu cooler for my 17 930
I also have a Gtx 470 wich gets hellla hot and i want to add the 120mm fan on the side vent for another intake fan as it will blow directly on the video card
but here is where my problem lies if you look at the first link at the top corner of the fan slot the CPU cooler has those little gold things sticking out into the tip top portion of where the fan would go you can click the second link and see what im talking about

So my question is can i modify a 120mm fan to fit in there like can i just saw off that top corner since it doesn't need to be drilled into place its being held by clamps that are on the case

Could anyone offer any suggestion and a good 120mm fan that isnt very loud but provided good cooling id greatly apprecaite it tHANKS !

http://images02.olx.com.ph/ui/4/72/04/67766804_2-Pictur...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...
a c 144 ) Power supply
June 17, 2010 5:22:23 PM

I like these:
Scythe S-Flex SFF21D
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Scythe S-Flex SFF21E
Scythe S-Flex SFF21F
Scythe S-Flex SFF21G

You can choose the model that gives you the best compromise better airflow and noise. I chose F's for my TRUE several years ago.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
June 17, 2010 6:05:00 PM

Those are good but not slim. I use Gentle Typhoon.
m
l
June 17, 2010 7:19:18 PM

to be totally honest i dont think a slim would work i think i cause the piece of my cpu cooler is sticking out pretty far its almost touching the side of the case id rather just get a good quality 120mm fan thats not too loud and good rpm for my GTX 470 and im just gonna Saw the corner off i mean that is possible is it not ?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 18, 2010 10:55:40 AM

That's why I didn't buy the Antec 300 back in the day, got the CM 590 instead. The PSU intake is messing with the airflow of the video card fan. And the Nvidia 4XX are kinda hot.

One of your cages has support for two fans - one in the inside, can you put that cage with two fans at the bottom? In the middle it won't fit IMO, the video card is too long and you need plenty of air down there where the PSU/GPU are located.

You can get a cheap 120mm fan and try sawing it but just the inside, keep the outer edge (near the panel) intact. Check for vibrations if it works.
m
l
June 18, 2010 11:52:00 AM

I have the 902 and I can see what you mean, is the gold things touching directly into the fan blades? or just the sides of the fan. From guess work it looks like its touching in the fan blades.

If it is just touching the sides of the fan, you could saw the front corner off the fan (ensuring you leave the back corner there so you can still attach it to the side of the case).

And to stop the PSU messing with the gpu airflow, you could cut a hole in the bottom of the case like i have done and flip the psu the otherway round and prop the case up using long doorstops or something. I also added a little mesh to the new hole to try and block dust.

Just a pre warning though, the steel plate at the bottom of the case is a lot stronger than i anticipated and it burnt out my drill =\
m
l
June 18, 2010 12:24:22 PM

As that case has got a top exhaust fan couldn't you reseat the heat-sink so that the fan draws air from bottom, through the heat-sink and then out through the top? That would get the heat pipes out of the way. Don't know if you can turn that heat-sink 90 degrees, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can
m
l
June 18, 2010 3:15:40 PM

ijb said:
As that case has got a top exhaust fan couldn't you reseat the heat-sink so that the fan draws air from bottom, through the heat-sink and then out through the top? That would get the heat pipes out of the way. Don't know if you can turn that heat-sink 90 degrees, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can

i my self was actually thinking that but i dont think ill be able too cus these crap on the side of the cpu to the left and right meh i dunno i would have to look into it im not 100% sure

As for the CPU cooler and the fan if you look at my picture where im holding the dust blocker to the case its just the very top corner thats being touched by the heat sink so i'm trying to find a good 120mm fan that i can just Saw the corner off of and it will fit fine. I need the airflow bad cause im currently playing with no side on my case and my GPU never goes over 81c which is what i want cause before if i played crysis or battlefield for extended periods it would be 95-100c
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 18, 2010 4:23:48 PM

I have the same case and problem. I bought an Antec fan too, stuck it in the side and was sorely dissapointed when I couldn't close the stupid case. However, I grabbed that inside bracket it came with and mounted it right in the middle so it blows directly down the backs of my GPUS. Works pretty nicely. Here's a pic... you can't exactly see the fan but you can see the edge of the bracket directly behind the 5850s. It's the 3 sorta squareish things sticking out... I wish I could lower it by a couple inches but it's impossible... but yeah, it seems to work alright. It's a 3pin and I connected it to the mobo but it has a molex adapter as well.

m
l
June 18, 2010 5:52:45 PM

hmmm i haven't really considered the inside fan cus it looks like its gonna be such a tight fit but im assuming the 5850 are about the same size as a 470 and u got 2 to boot soo ill take a look into that i might install both inside and on the outside cus i either want to upgrade to a 480 or get a second 470 for sli and call it a day not sure yet if i get 480 im prob gonna upgrade to a antec 1200
m
l
June 18, 2010 6:17:57 PM

i also dont really know what i should be looking for in terms of how fast these fans should be air flow etc id prefer my fan not to get loud as $%@$
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 18, 2010 6:50:40 PM

Yeah the 5850s are a tight fit with the rear PCIe 6 pins, but with side pins you have about 1.25" to spare. I'm wondering with a side fan, if it would be better to have to blow out as opposed to in, so that it shoots all the hot air around the gpu out... it would probably be good to try both ways. And yeah cfm I dunno I mean obviously the higher the better but with faster fans you're getting a lot more noise. IMO around 50cfm and as low RPM as possible...
m
l
June 18, 2010 8:42:57 PM

Lol Question as well is that a sound card inbetween your two video cards ?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 18, 2010 9:06:56 PM

dooms87 said:
Lol Question as well is that a sound card inbetween your two video cards ?

Yep an AuzenTech Bravura 7.1. It used to be underneath but I needed that PCIe slot for the GT 240, so it fits nicely in the middle lol.
m
l
June 18, 2010 9:08:53 PM

yeaaaa i was thinking about that cus realtek 889 is meh ok bud i like some better audio but thats not on the top of my todo list im trying to see if anyone can lend me a 120mm fan so i can better gauge if i need a slim 1 for my case and a regular one for the inside
m
l
!