Need help with GPU ?

I want to put a new GPU in this systems as the onboard nvidia is not cutting it. Please give me some recommendations on which GPU should i buy.

My budget is ~$120
Games: NFS Shift, GT4, Halo 2, Far Cry and maybe crysis (if it can run it)

Following is the system description:
Motherboard: Gigabyte M61SME-S2 Rev. A1, Bios Version F4
CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 4000+ 2.1 GHz
2 GB RAM
Windows XP (will be installing Windows 7 Professional 64-bit)

I really appreciate your response. Many thanks.
6 answers Last reply
More about need
  1. What's your PSU? What's your monitor's resolution? Without either of those, we can't really help you too much.
  2. What PSU do you have (brand/model, not just watts)?

Your CPU is two tiers below a 4850e, which bottlenecks a HD4670 at 1440x900; there's likely little point in getting anything stronger than that with your rig, or perhaps a HD5670 if you have no future upgrade plans but still want DX11.
    Neither of them require a PCIE power connector, and will run even on a 300W PSU (unless it's a Bestec, in which case your mobo doesn't have long to live anyway; see the jonnyguru review "Best of the Bestec").
  3. Sorry for the Incomplete information, I have Corsair 500W PSU and the monitor resolution is 1280 X 1024. Hope this helps and many thanks for your responses.
  4. you may want to try OCing your CPU some, as that will help w/ any bottleneck from your graphics card. I was able to increase my Athlon X2 by 400 Mhz fairly easy.

being a fan of Nvidia i hate to admit it, but the HD5670 is prob. your best bet w/ what you have
  5. The HD 4670 would be more than enough. I would like to recommend the more expensive 5xxx series cards, but frankly it would be a waste of money. Start saving up for a new build and a new monitor. A great 19020x1080 gaming build and monitor can be had for as low as $1,000, and that would give you a good future proof build as well.
  6. Thank you all for your responses, I'll go with HD 4670. Once again I appreciate all your help. Thanks.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt GPUs Systems Product