alishaan

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I want to put a new GPU in this systems as the onboard nvidia is not cutting it. Please give me some recommendations on which GPU should i buy.

My budget is ~$120
Games: NFS Shift, GT4, Halo 2, Far Cry and maybe crysis (if it can run it)

Following is the system description:
Motherboard: Gigabyte M61SME-S2 Rev. A1, Bios Version F4
CPU: AMD Athlon64 X2 4000+ 2.1 GHz
2 GB RAM
Windows XP (will be installing Windows 7 Professional 64-bit)

I really appreciate your response. Many thanks.

What PSU do you have (brand/model, not just watts)?

Your CPU is two tiers below a 4850e, which bottlenecks a HD4670 at 1440x900; there's likely little point in getting anything stronger than that with your rig, or perhaps a HD5670 if you have no future upgrade plans but still want DX11.
Neither of them require a PCIE power connector, and will run even on a 300W PSU (unless it's a Bestec, in which case your mobo doesn't have long to live anyway; see the jonnyguru review "Best of the Bestec").

arges86

Distinguished
you may want to try OCing your CPU some, as that will help w/ any bottleneck from your graphics card. I was able to increase my Athlon X2 by 400 Mhz fairly easy.

being a fan of Nvidia i hate to admit it, but the HD5670 is prob. your best bet w/ what you have

The HD 4670 would be more than enough. I would like to recommend the more expensive 5xxx series cards, but frankly it would be a waste of money. Start saving up for a new build and a new monitor. A great 19020x1080 gaming build and monitor can be had for as low as $1,000, and that would give you a good future proof build as well.