AMD phenom clock 1055T stays at 4?

stv_yip

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7
Chip: AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

I noticed that CPU-Z displays the core speed as 800 MHz, Multiplier x 4.0 and bus speed at 200 Mhz.

Is this normal? I have tried setting the clock multiplier at 14 but windows XP still shows 4.

thanks

triplebug

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Yeah, this is normal. You got Cool 'n Quiet enabled.

AMD Cool 'n Quiet
Cool'n'Quiet is a CPU speed throttling and power saving technology introduced by AMD with their Athlon 64 processor line. It works by reducing the processor's clock rate and voltage when the processor is idle. The aim of this technology is to reduce overall power consumption and lower heat generation, allowing for slower (thus quieter) cooling fan operation. The objectives of cooler and quieter result in the name Cool'n'Quiet. The technology is similar to Intel's SpeedStep.

stv_yip

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010

Thanks...could this be disabled somehow?...:)

I agree with loneninja. Sure you could disable it, but why? Your CPU will ramp up its speed when you do something CPU intensive. Start something like Prime95 and check the CPU speed. It should be at its rated speed. Cool 'n Quiet just makes your system use less power and run cooler when it's sitting idle, but still allows for full CPU speed when needed. Cool 'n Quiet is NOT a bad thing.

stv_yip

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Thanks guys...I can't find the cool N quiet, but i've managed to set the clock multiplier to x14. So FSB 200MHz x 14 = 2.8 Ghz.

Another thing is I've set the Windows XP Power Options to Home/Office Desk. THen only the true multiplier is shown. Begs the question if you choose lesser power schemes, does the CPU slows down?

I've also tried setting the FSB to 230Mhz...and now I've got 3.2 Ghz. Tried setting it to 250 but XP jammed up.

triplebug

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010

Just leave cool N quiet ON, its unharmed, save power and cooldown your processor like intel speedstep do.

tom's reviewed phenom ii x6 days ago, take it as reference before you try anything.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclocking-phenom-ii-x6-efficiency,2633-7.html