Automatic OC on my 3570K???

N8man3

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hello everyone!

I just finished building my new PC. I bought an i5 3570K cooled with a corsair h100i, Asus Maximus V formula, 16GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 (1333 MHz), Corsair Gold 850w PSU, GTX 690, and a NZXT Switch 810 to house it all.

I was planning on overclocking in the future, but decided that for now I would just see how everything ran at stock settings. Therefore I DID NOT ALTER ANYTHING IN THE BIOS!!! I REPEAT I CHANGED NOTHING IN THE BIOS!! I downloaded CPU-Z and ran it with and without prime95 and noticed something peculiar. Here is what it said:

Intel Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Core Voltage: 1.336V (WHATTTT?!?!) this is at idle and stressed with prime 95
Clocks Core Speed: idle = 1600 MHz; prime95 blend = 4600 MHz (WHAT AGAIN!?!?!)
Multiplier: x16 @ idle and x46 with prime95
Bus speed: 100 MHz

I'm a noob at overclocking. I've never done it. I am slowly accruing more and more knowledge everyday so that I can overclock in the future. HOWEVER... even to my noob eyes this looks like and overclock to 4.6GHz!!! WHYYYY!!!! I didn't change anything in the BIOS.

After I saw this I went into the BIOS to investigate. Below is a list of everything I saw.

Synchronizing Target CPU- Turbo Mode Speed: 4600MHz
Target DRAM Speed: 1333 MHz
CPU level up: disabled
Ai overclock tuner: manual
BCLK/PEG Freq: 100.0
Turbo Ratio: Manual
Ratio Synchronizing control: Enabled
1-core ratio limit - 46
2-core ratio limit - 46
3-core ratio limit - 46
4-core ratio limit - 46

Internal PLL voltage: Auto
CPU Bus Speed:DRAM speed ratio mode - auto
Memory Freq: auto
Xtreme Tweaking: Disabled
EPU power saving mode: Enabled
EPU setting: Auto
Intel Speed Step Tech: Enabled
CPU Ratio: auto
Turbo Mode: Enabled
Extreme OV- disabled
CPU voltage: 1.340V (manual mode) manual voltage: 1.330V
DRAM: kinda fluctuates around 1.5V (auto)
CPU PLL voltage: 1.819V (auto)
PCH voltage: 1.056V (auto)

Again my noob eyes tell me this is overclocked and overvolted. ADDITIONALLY I have experienced a couple BSOD upon stress testing with prime95 AND while in idle (browsing the internet). If this is an overclock, its obviously not stable.

Can someone please confirm if this is actually overclocked. Why would it automatically overclock when I didn't even tough the BIOS. I realize the ASUS Maximus V boards have an auto-OC feature but I am pretty sure you have to activate it yourself.

Would you recommend that I decrease the clocks to 4.4 or 4.5GHz and keep this voltage. Temps were around 70C during p95 and maxed at 74 on one of the cores. Or should I raise Vcore to make 4.6 stable. Or should I see if I can start from scratch. Do you think 1.336V is too high? I've seen some people achieve 4.5GHz while staying under 1.3xx V.

I'm sorry this is kind of a long post and there are a lot of questions I would like answered. In a nutshell: Is my CPU OC'd? If so, what would you recommend I do to make it stable (raise voltage or decrease clocks?)? Are voltages too high already? What would you change in my bios settings to optimize the OC?

Thank you all and any input will be greatly appreciated!

Rue22

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
from what I read it looks like it was set to 4.6 if its manual. go to default on the oc tuner I don't know how that mobo is set but should be 3 settings like mine if its using the asus interface. the 46 isn't a stock speed.reset the settings to default see what happens. I don't think the voltage is high if you custom built your pc off a website and had it shipped oc'd some manufacturers oc at higher voltages.

N8man3

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

I bought all the parts from newegg.com and put it together myself so I'm a little baffled by the clocks and voltages. I'll see if I can reset the settings to default.

fkr

Splendid
in reading and in my own experience the auto tune feature seems to work pretty well. It gets about 90% of what I could get on my own as far as overclocking. Even use their overclock numbers and just bump the voltage down. I would also check the stated voltage of your ram and make sure it is not overvolted. It is not a good risk to overvolt your RAM.

knightfarley

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012

Yes....It is set to OC to 4.6 Ghz. (46 multiplier X 100 BCLK = 4.6 Ghz). If your system is not stable at 4.6 Ghz. You can change the core multipliers to 38 and then work on a stable oc through VRM, Multiplier, and Voltage or Risk losing your CPU...to over voltage....or .....a forever loop of BSOD....or corrupt....BIOS!

fkr

Splendid
if your system is stable at that voltage and your temps are good I would leave it be. that is a good OC at that voltage or vcore.
if you want to test stability run prime 95 and watch your temps in AI suite.
also run the intelburn test. just watch your temps on your CPU and if you do not blue screen you are stable.
your CPU is safe till 100C but really you do not want to break 80C, furthermore you ideally like to be at 60-70C.

that voltage you are at is very safe and it is unheard of to cause damage to your CPU.
If you open your AI suite and click on monitor you will see both temperature and current voltage.

Rue22

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

I agree, the 3570k can take alot.

Should try and take the voltage down abit, should be able to, will help your temps and overall wear and tear if you can knock it down.

fkr

Splendid
1.2v at 4.6GHz is kinda crazy good. I may be off since I rock the 2500k but that seems pretty low. anyways after reading many forums anything under 1.5v (which is within intels spectrum for variable voltage) will not damage your cpu or even lead to a deterioration. people have been pushing high overclocks for quite some time and I have yet to read a story of somebody having to adjust their voltage or speed over time because of deterioration of their i5 or i7 CPU