ASUS or Gigabyte MB?

Maineman

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
I had an MSI 785GTM-E45 MB that only booted when warm. See recent post for details if interested. Looking to replace it with either an ASUS M4A785-M or a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM MB. Both have the AMD 785 chip set, the AMD SB710, the ATI Radeon HD 4200 on-board video card with HDMI and offer a way to recover the BIOS in case an update fails. Running Win 7 Pro and have an AMD Athlon dual core processor and Corsair 800MHz DDR2 memory. Intended use is for entertainment PC hooked up to my HDTV. The MSI MB worked great but would only boot when warm. Leaning towards the Gigabyte because of the e-SATA and firewire ports and the ability to fast charge an iPOD. Interested in hearing from users of these MB or ASUS / Gigabyte in general. Tie breaker for me is level of customer support and how easy it is to make use of the manufacturers web site.

Solution
I'm happy with my GB 785 board. Also, Gigabyte uses a "dual bios" chip system, one main one back-up. If there are problems with the bios on the main chip, it loads the info from the back-up and restores the main chip automatically, without your even knowing, or having to do anything.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I'm happy with my GB 785 board. Also, Gigabyte uses a "dual bios" chip system, one main one back-up. If there are problems with the bios on the main chip, it loads the info from the back-up and restores the main chip automatically, without your even knowing, or having to do anything.

Solution