Sign in with
Your question

Upgraded My CPU, and the Darn Computer Runs Even Slower!!

Last response: in CPUs
June 17, 2010 4:20:18 PM

This just makes no sense and really pisses me off. I finally took the plunge and upgraded my crappy Pentium D processor to a Dual Core Wolfdale 2.66. It was a good price and had good reviews on Newegg.

To my display, my PC runs even slow. It takes almost 5 minutes to completely boot XP. Yes, XP! Even more annoying, it chugs on yahoo messanger and often the entire screen is locked up because it has to sit and process. I am also running 3 gigs of RAM and recently reformatted by HD.

The only thing I know to do is to update my BIOS, but that is one thing I'm scared to do. Any suggestions or ideas?
a c 159 à CPUs
June 17, 2010 4:37:49 PM

Check your bios settings. Be sure the "fast boot" option is enabled, and any lan boot option is disabled. You don't need to update your bios; also try removing the board battery with the system off for one minute, and reinstall it. This will reset the bios to it's default settings. Then all you have to do it set the "boot order" and save and exit. You may also have a virus slowing your system down. I had trend micro by synmatec but it caused my system to slow down; I switched to microsoft security essentials and it works great. Also, you can only have one anti virus software at a time installed; be sure to remove any extra anti virus programs you aren't using.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2010 4:58:02 PM

It sounds like your harddrive is going out to me
How long did it take to reformat?

I would suggest CCleaner and Mydefrag.. but you said its a fresh reformat and it would take years of no maintenance for things to slow down THAT bad
m
l
Related resources
a c 172 à CPUs
June 17, 2010 6:07:05 PM

Sigh.

What kind of motherboard? Do you know if the motherboard supports Wolfdale? A BIOS update may fix your problem, but a lot of the older LGA775 motherboards do not do not support Wolfdale CPU's.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2010 6:26:53 PM

what speed do you get in cpu-z?
m
l
a c 141 à CPUs
June 17, 2010 10:21:13 PM

Just as an FYI, MS Security Essentials let in a trojan on my pc from a website. I uninstalled it and went back to AVG. I'm glad this was on my testing box. I went back to that website and AVG caught and blocked it. On the MS side, Security Essentials does use much less resources than AVG.

And you can often have multiple Anti-virus software running but the constant 'doublechecking' will indeed slow down your system. Running two all depends on which two products you are using. My business box runs 2 at all times plus a hardware and a software firewall. LOL call me paranoid.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AS for the problem, JSC and Xaira are on the right track, what speed/multiplier is being detected?

Also what motherboard do you have so we can check if the processor is compatible?
m
l
June 17, 2010 11:38:06 PM

Update your BIOS. The motherboard might be using the wrong multiplier. DOn't be scared just use common sense. Backup your current BIOS firmware and don't turn off your computer no matter what while it's updating.

dvdaddict36 said:
This just makes no sense and really pisses me off. I finally took the plunge and upgraded my crappy Pentium D processor to a Dual Core Wolfdale 2.66. It was a good price and had good reviews on Newegg.

To my display, my PC runs even slow. It takes almost 5 minutes to completely boot XP. Yes, XP! Even more annoying, it chugs on yahoo messanger and often the entire screen is locked up because it has to sit and process. I am also running 3 gigs of RAM and recently reformatted by HD.

The only thing I know to do is to update my BIOS, but that is one thing I'm scared to do. Any suggestions or ideas?

m
l
June 17, 2010 11:40:50 PM

jkdefrag works much better I think. I definitly recommend ccleaner.

Blckhaze said:
It sounds like your harddrive is going out to me
How long did it take to reformat?

I would suggest CCleaner and Mydefrag.. but you said its a fresh reformat and it would take years of no maintenance for things to slow down THAT bad

m
l
June 17, 2010 11:43:36 PM

NEVER INSTALL MORE THAN ONE ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAM AT A TIME EVER.

They conflict with each other and causes your computer to be slow for no reason. It also causes crashes and major headaches.

popatim said:
Just as an FYI, MS Security Essentials let in a trojan on my pc from a website. I uninstalled it and went back to AVG. I'm glad this was on my testing box. I went back to that website and AVG caught and blocked it. On the MS side, Security Essentials does use much less resources than AVG.

And you can often have multiple Anti-virus software running but the constant 'doublechecking' will indeed slow down your system. Running two all depends on which two products you are using. My business box runs 2 at all times plus a hardware and a software firewall. LOL call me paranoid.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AS for the problem, JSC and Xaira are on the right track, what speed/multiplier is being detected?

Also what motherboard do you have so we can check if the processor is compatible?

m
l
!