need help with CHKDSK and disk defragmenter

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

I'm running Win XP Pro SP2. I found everyone's answers to my previous
question to be very helpful (the question was: how to run chkdsk from within
the command line box). I have two questions that I must learn the answers
to before I am the -master of maintenace- that I'd like to pretend to be :-)

First, is it possible to create a boot disk with modern versions of chkdsk,
disk defragmenter, and disk cleanup - a boot disk that boots the computer
into some sort of command line? I assume that boot disks created by Windows
ME contain only older versions of these utilities and I don't like the idea
of using older versions. I know that Microsoft dropped Real DOS mode with
the release of WinME; but if I could create a *modern* boot disk that boots
to a command prompt...

Second, disk defragmenter usually doesn't defragment 100% of files on a disk
because a few are loaded into memory. How can I schedule disk defragmenter
to run at system startup before Windows loads? Also, is there a way to run
disk defragmenter from the command prompt that is better at defragmenting
those stubborn files?
6 answers Last reply
More about need chkdsk disk defragmenter
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Actually I really mean *boot CD* instead of boot disk, because I do not have
    a floppy drive - I am using a laptop. I could buy a USB floppy drive, if
    that were even bootable, but I'd much rather have a boot CD.
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    You can also run
    chkdsk /r
    from the recovery console command line. (/r implies /f and /p)

    To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows XP CD-Rom
    Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
    XP installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The Recovery
    Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do not have
    the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
    computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
    Console quits and restarts the computer. Note: If the registry is corrupted
    or missing or no valid installations are found, the Recovery Console starts
    in the root of the startup volume without requiring a password. You cannot
    access any folders, but you can carry out commands such as chkdsk, fixboot,
    and fixmbr for limited disk repairs. Once the password has been validated,
    you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access to the hard
    disk. You can only access the following folders on your computer: drive
    root, %systemroot% or %windir%

    For the other issue I use Raxco PerfectDisk.

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@excite.com> wrote in message
    | I'm running Win XP Pro SP2. I found everyone's answers to my previous
    | question to be very helpful (the question was: how to run chkdsk from
    within
    | the command line box). I have two questions that I must learn the answers
    | to before I am the -master of maintenace- that I'd like to pretend to be
    :-)

    | First, is it possible to create a boot disk with modern versions of
    chkdsk,
    | disk defragmenter, and disk cleanup - a boot disk that boots the computer
    | into some sort of command line? I assume that boot disks created by
    Windows
    | ME contain only older versions of these utilities and I don't like the
    idea
    | of using older versions. I know that Microsoft dropped Real DOS mode with
    | the release of WinME; but if I could create a *modern* boot disk that
    boots
    | to a command prompt...
    |
    | Second, disk defragmenter usually doesn't defragment 100% of files on a
    disk
    | because a few are loaded into memory. How can I schedule disk
    defragmenter
    | to run at system startup before Windows loads? Also, is there a way to
    run
    | disk defragmenter from the command prompt that is better at defragmenting
    | those stubborn files?

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    You probably want something called "BartPE builder", which takes your XP
    CDROM, plus some freeware programs and makes a bottable CD that gets you to
    a windows-like interface, but is not using files from the hard drive.
    CHKDSK is one of the options. It is also good for some repairs and for
    copying files off of a PC. It supports NTFS as well as FAT, USB, firewire,
    etc.

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/index.php?p=1

    While Bart's may seem complex to make, it really is not. Just take all the
    defaults on your first try. Later, if you want to download numerous
    plugins, you can play with those.

    You will need a CD with XP SP-1 or SP-2 already in it. If all you have is a
    XP (original), then you will need to slipstream that with one of the service
    packs to make a combined CD. The easiest way to slipstream is to us nLite.
    nLite can already selectively remove components from windows, but avoid that
    option for this purpose.

    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49

    As for a more complete defrag, think about Diskeeper, the full edition, not
    the home edition. It can set a defrag for boot mode, defrag directories and
    the MFT, among other things. Note that the XP defragger is really a lite
    verison of diskeeper. Diskeeper is made by Executive Software.

    "Truth_Seeker1" <DrewStuffL@excite.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running Win XP Pro SP2. I found everyone's answers to my previous
    > question to be very helpful (the question was: how to run chkdsk from
    > within the command line box). I have two questions that I must learn the
    > answers to before I am the -master of maintenace- that I'd like to pretend
    > to be :-)
    >
    > First, is it possible to create a boot disk with modern versions of
    > chkdsk, disk defragmenter, and disk cleanup - a boot disk that boots the
    > computer into some sort of command line? I assume that boot disks created
    > by Windows ME contain only older versions of these utilities and I don't
    > like the idea of using older versions. I know that Microsoft dropped Real
    > DOS mode with the release of WinME; but if I could create a *modern* boot
    > disk that boots to a command prompt...
    >
    > Second, disk defragmenter usually doesn't defragment 100% of files on a
    > disk because a few are loaded into memory. How can I schedule disk
    > defragmenter to run at system startup before Windows loads? Also, is
    > there a way to run disk defragmenter from the command prompt that is
    > better at defragmenting those stubborn files?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    I learned that chkdsk /f means "fix," but what does /p do?

    "Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > computer
    > | into some sort of command line? I assume that boot disks created by
    > Windows
    > | ME contain only older versions of these utilities and I don't like the
    > idea
    > | of using older versions. I know that Microsoft dropped Real DOS mode
    > with
    > | the release of WinME; but if I could create a *modern* boot disk that
    > boots
    > | to a command prompt...
    > |
    > | Second, disk defragmenter usually doesn't defragment 100% of files on a
    > disk
    > | because a few are loaded into memory. How can I schedule disk
    > defragmenter
    > | to run at system startup before Windows loads? Also, is there a way to
    > run
    > | disk defragmenter from the command prompt that is better at

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    It's looking like I might have made it up. Thanks for asking.

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/2000/server/reskit/en-us/prork/pref_tts_ffgh.asp

    "Truth_Seeker1" wrote:
    |I learned that chkdsk /f means "fix," but what does /p do?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    /p switch

    Performs an exhaustive check even if the drive is not marked for chkdsk to
    run. This parameter does not make any changes to the drive.

    --

    "Truth_Seeker1" wrote:
    |I learned that chkdsk /f means "fix," but what does /p do?

Configuration Chkdsk Microsoft Windows XP