Can CF Card cause Lockup?

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 5, 2004 12:40:04 AM

Just got through photographing a wedding, which became one of the most
frustrating recent experiences of that ilk Besides dealing with a
videographer that persisted in getting in front of me for nearly every shot,
my 20D kept locking up. I quit counting at 10, there were at least that
many more that I didn't count, plus several times that nothing was written
to the card, even when the shutter, and flash, fired. All the lockups were
"Err99" types. My wife shot probably the same number of images, no
problems. Both cameras were upgraded to firmware Ver.1.0.5 a couple of
weeks or so ago. I was using a Delkin 1g card, she was using a Lexar. I've
shot since the upgrade, but with a SanDisk and not a single lockup.
Checked, and cleaned, the lens contacts during a break today (found an
eraser and scrubbed away) but there wasn't really any apparent "dirt" on the
contacts of my lens.
Should I toss the card, or what?

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

More about : card lockup

Anonymous
December 5, 2004 8:54:55 AM

Skip M wrote:
> Just got through photographing a wedding, which became one of the most
> frustrating recent experiences of that ilk Besides dealing with a
> videographer that persisted in getting in front of me for nearly every shot,
> my 20D kept locking up. I quit counting at 10, there were at least that
> many more that I didn't count, plus several times that nothing was written
> to the card, even when the shutter, and flash, fired. All the lockups were
> "Err99" types. My wife shot probably the same number of images, no
> problems. Both cameras were upgraded to firmware Ver.1.0.5 a couple of
> weeks or so ago. I was using a Delkin 1g card, she was using a Lexar. I've
> shot since the upgrade, but with a SanDisk and not a single lockup.
> Checked, and cleaned, the lens contacts during a break today (found an
> eraser and scrubbed away) but there wasn't really any apparent "dirt" on the
> contacts of my lens.
> Should I toss the card, or what?

I would strongly suspect a problem with the card, if you haven't had
similar trouble before.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 9:01:05 AM

>From: "Skip M" shadowcatcher@cox.net

>Just got through photographing a wedding, which became one of the most
>frustrating recent experiences of that ilk Besides dealing with a
>videographer that persisted in getting in front of me for nearly every shot,
>my 20D kept locking up. I quit counting at 10, there were at least that
>many more that I didn't count, plus several times that nothing was written
>to the card, even when the shutter, and flash, fired. All the lockups were
>"Err99" types. My wife shot probably the same number of images, no
>problems. Both cameras were upgraded to firmware Ver.1.0.5 a couple of
>weeks or so ago. I was using a Delkin 1g card, she was using a Lexar. I've
>shot since the upgrade, but with a SanDisk and not a single lockup.

I had the same problem with one of my 1GB cards, the Sandisk Extreme. It would
get about half full and then BLAM! ... "ERR 99" messages and no more images
recorded on the card.
After I got the images off the card, I re-formatted it and tried copying data
to it with the card reader. It exhibited the same symptoms, getting partially
full and then crashing. So I'll have to send the card back to Sandisk and see
what they say.

Let's hope it's a problem with the card and not the 20D.

The first time this happened was when I was shooting my latest hawk pic a
couple of weeks ago. When I got home, only half the images I had taken showed
up on the card. I tried Sandisk's own "Rescue Pro" software that ships with
the card to recover the lost images, but that didn't work. I finally got them
back by using a program called "Digital Image Recovery." You can probably
still download this on the Net.
December 5, 2004 9:01:27 AM

Skip wrote:
>Just got through photographing a wedding, which became one of the most
>frustrating recent experiences of that ilk Besides dealing with a
>videographer that persisted in getting in front of me for nearly every shot,
>my 20D kept locking up. I quit counting at 10, there were at least that
>many more that I didn't count, plus several times that nothing was written
>to the card, even when the shutter, and flash, fired. All the lockups were
>"Err99" types. My wife shot probably the same number of images, no
>problems. Both cameras were upgraded to firmware Ver.1.0.5 a couple of
>weeks or so ago. I was using a Delkin 1g card, she was using a Lexar. I've
>shot since the upgrade, but with a SanDisk and not a single lockup.
>Checked, and cleaned, the lens contacts during a break today (found an
>eraser and scrubbed away) but there wasn't really any apparent "dirt" on the
>contacts of my lens.
>Should I toss the card, or what?

First things first:
(1) How long have you had the 20D, or how many shots on it?
(2) Exactly what EF lens do you have on it?
(3) Do other lenses work on it?
(4) How recently did you change or remove lenses?
(5) The Delkin CF card... did you format it prior to use? If so, then exactly
how did you format it?

---Bob Gross---
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 9:11:27 AM

>From: annika1980@aol.com (Annika1980)

>I had the same problem with one of my 1GB cards, the Sandisk Extreme. It
>would
>get about half full and then BLAM! ... "ERR 99" messages and no more images
>recorded on the card.

Correction: I believe the errors I got were "ERR 02" and "CF ERROR."
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 9:12:22 AM

"Robertwgross" <robertwgross@cs.com> wrote in message
> Skip wrote:
>>Just got through photographing a wedding, which became one of the most
>>frustrating recent experiences of that ilk Besides dealing with a
>>videographer that persisted in getting in front of me for nearly every
>>shot,
>>my 20D kept locking up. I quit counting at 10, there were at least that
>>many more that I didn't count, plus several times that nothing was written
>>to the card, even when the shutter, and flash, fired. All the lockups
>>were
>>"Err99" types. My wife shot probably the same number of images, no
>>problems. Both cameras were upgraded to firmware Ver.1.0.5 a couple of
>>weeks or so ago. I was using a Delkin 1g card, she was using a Lexar.
>>I've
>>shot since the upgrade, but with a SanDisk and not a single lockup.
>>Checked, and cleaned, the lens contacts during a break today (found an
>>eraser and scrubbed away) but there wasn't really any apparent "dirt" on
>>the
>>contacts of my lens.
>>Should I toss the card, or what?
>
> First things first:
> (1) How long have you had the 20D, or how many shots on it?
> (2) Exactly what EF lens do you have on it?
> (3) Do other lenses work on it?
> (4) How recently did you change or remove lenses?
> (5) The Delkin CF card... did you format it prior to use? If so, then
> exactly
> how did you format it?
>
> ---Bob Gross---

1) Since mid Sept, when the cameras first hit the mkt.
2) 28-135 IS is the lens that I was using yesterday. (Same lens my wife is
using, but an older iteration.)
3) 28-70 Tokina, 17-35 Sigma (had a couple of lockups with this one, too)
100 f2 Canon, 50mm f1.8 Canon, 100-400 IS. Except as noted, no lockups.
4) Didn't change or remove lens except to try to remedy lockup problem.
5) I format cards before I use them, just as a habit. Formatted in camera.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 9:14:21 AM

> Skip M wrote:
>> Just got through photographing a wedding, which became one of the most
>> frustrating recent experiences of that ilk Besides dealing with a
>> videographer that persisted in getting in front of me for nearly every
>> shot, my 20D kept locking up. I quit counting at 10, there were at least
>> that many more that I didn't count, plus several times that nothing was
>> written to the card, even when the shutter, and flash, fired. All the
>> lockups were "Err99" types. My wife shot probably the same number of
>> images, no problems. Both cameras were upgraded to firmware Ver.1.0.5 a
>> couple of weeks or so ago. I was using a Delkin 1g card, she was using a
>> Lexar. I've shot since the upgrade, but with a SanDisk and not a single
>> lockup. Checked, and cleaned, the lens contacts during a break today
>> (found an eraser and scrubbed away) but there wasn't really any apparent
>> "dirt" on the contacts of my lens.
>> Should I toss the card, or what?
>>
> I would strongly suspect a problem with the card, if you haven't had
> similar trouble before.

I strongly suspect it too, but it wasn't a "CF error" message I was getting.
Fortunately, all the images that I did get on the card were downloadable, so
there's at least that...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 4:56:21 PM

> > I would strongly suspect a problem with the card, if you haven't had
> > similar trouble before.
> >

> I strongly suspect it too, but it wasn't a "CF error" message I was getting.
> Fortunately, all the images that I did get on the card were downloadable, so
> there's at least that...

Skip

You are scaring me half to death. I have a 10D that works great but
has the known problems of time delay on start up, sometimes focus's
wrong, Etc. I bought a 20D and my wife is giving it to me for
Christmas. I hope that this isn't a camera problem that you are
having. I bought the 20D and figured the design problems would be past
after the 10D and then I could use the 20D until a significant change
in the DSLR market occurs in terms of price verses performance. I
think in the next two years the market should start to mature and the
cameras should start to level out where they will end up. Meaning they
will either go to a full size sensor for the consumer level bodies or
not. They will settle on a mega pixel level for Pro, mid level
consumer, and entry level that will sort of be a standard. That's when
I plan on upgrading again from the 20D.

Art
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 7:27:20 PM

Skip wrote:
>5) I format cards before I use them, just as a habit. Formatted in camera.

You might try a complete format in the computer rather than the quick format in
the camera. More often than not, Err 99 points to an undetermined problem which
ends up being a lens communication issue. However, now that you have fooled
around with the gold contacts, it may be your problem instead of Canon's.

---Bob Gross---
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 7:27:21 PM

On 05 Dec 2004 16:27:20 GMT, robertwgross@cs.com (Robertwgross) wrote:

>Skip wrote:
>>5) I format cards before I use them, just as a habit. Formatted in camera.
>
>You might try a complete format in the computer rather than the quick format in
>the camera. More often than not, Err 99 points to an undetermined problem which
>ends up being a lens communication issue. However, now that you have fooled
>around with the gold contacts, it may be your problem instead of Canon's.
>
>---Bob Gross---

I shudder when I hear that recommendation.
Formatting in the computer may not be a problem, but it often is; the
camera and the computer don't always agree on what file system to use.
The camera will always use the right one for that camera.
A "complete" format is even more dangerous when done in a computer, if
the computer does the wrong one.
And the fact is that many simply don't know what he camera takes, or
that XP doesn't easily offer what many cameras need.
For these reasons, I recommend that the user format his memory cards
in the computer.

--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"

Skip M wrote:

> "Ron Hunter" <rphunter@charter.net> wrote in message
>
>>Skip M wrote:
>>
>>>Just got through photographing a wedding, which became one of the most
>>>frustrating recent experiences of that ilk Besides dealing with a
>>>videographer that persisted in getting in front of me for nearly every
>>>shot, my 20D kept locking up. I quit counting at 10, there were at least
>>>that many more that I didn't count, plus several times that nothing was
>>>written to the card, even when the shutter, and flash, fired. All the
>>>lockups were "Err99" types. My wife shot probably the same number of
>>>images, no problems. Both cameras were upgraded to firmware Ver.1.0.5 a
>>>couple of weeks or so ago. I was using a Delkin 1g card, she was using a
>>>Lexar. I've shot since the upgrade, but with a SanDisk and not a single
>>>lockup. Checked, and cleaned, the lens contacts during a break today
>>>(found an eraser and scrubbed away) but there wasn't really any apparent
>>>"dirt" on the contacts of my lens.
>>>Should I toss the card, or what?
>>>

>>I would strongly suspect a problem with the card, if you haven't had
>>similar trouble before.
>>

> I strongly suspect it too, but it wasn't a "CF error" message I was getting.
> Fortunately, all the images that I did get on the card were downloadable, so
> there's at least that...

Did you take the battery out after the freeze? My only lockup came
before I updated the firmware, and was put to rights by removing the
battery for a couple of minutes. Don't know what the recommended min.
time is to reset whatever gets reset, but that did the trick.

--

John McWilliams
Anonymous

"Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message

> I had the same problem with one of my 1GB cards, the Sandisk Extreme. It
would
> get about half full and then BLAM! ... "ERR 99" messages and no more
images
> recorded on the card.
> After I got the images off the card, I re-formatted it and tried copying
data
> to it with the card reader. It exhibited the same symptoms, getting
partially
> full and then crashing. So I'll have to send the card back to Sandisk and
see
> what they say.
>
> Let's hope it's a problem with the card and not the 20D.
>
> The first time this happened was when I was shooting my latest hawk pic a
> couple of weeks ago. When I got home, only half the images I had taken
showed
> up on the card. I tried Sandisk's own "Rescue Pro" software that ships
with
> the card to recover the lost images, but that didn't work. I finally got
them
> back by using a program called "Digital Image Recovery." You can probably
> still download this on the Net.

I have had some major drama with both of my 20Ds. One of them died
completely in the middle of a shoot last Thursday week and wouldn't boot...
Dead, dead dead. I left the batterys out over the weekend only to find it
booted when I put batteries back in it, ready to send back to Canon. It
originally had firmware 1.02 which I had flashed up to 1.04. I flashed this
up to 1.05 after it came back to life.

I use an obscure brand of CFC. Made by Kingston. This mob make some pretty
good PC RAM which is why I bought their cards. They were on sale really
cheap too. Guess what?

At image 28 where the first lock up happened... Bam! Gone again. The same
card seems to work OK in the other (older) camera which is the only one I
still have. I sent the new one back as a trade for a 1D II so I'll never
know about that again.

I never had flash card problems with the 10D but it never wrote to the cards
as fast as a 20D does. There's not firm evidence yet but I very strongly
suspect it has a lot to do with the quality of the cards and very little to
do with the camera's know problems. I've got some Sandisk II cards which I
used last week and never had a problem. I don't think I'll be using the
Kingston's again for anything but paper weights.

DIR - digital image recovery is German and English information is hard to
come by. Here's the link to download it:
http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...

Doug
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 8:09:45 PM

"Ryadia" <ryadia@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I had the same problem with one of my 1GB cards, the Sandisk Extreme. It
> would
>> get about half full and then BLAM! ... "ERR 99" messages and no more
> images
>> recorded on the card.
>> After I got the images off the card, I re-formatted it and tried copying
> data
>> to it with the card reader. It exhibited the same symptoms, getting
> partially
>> full and then crashing. So I'll have to send the card back to Sandisk
>> and
> see
>> what they say.
>>
>> Let's hope it's a problem with the card and not the 20D.
>>
>> The first time this happened was when I was shooting my latest hawk pic a
>> couple of weeks ago. When I got home, only half the images I had taken
> showed
>> up on the card. I tried Sandisk's own "Rescue Pro" software that ships
> with
>> the card to recover the lost images, but that didn't work. I finally got
> them
>> back by using a program called "Digital Image Recovery." You can
>> probably
>> still download this on the Net.
>>

> I have had some major drama with both of my 20Ds. One of them died
> completely in the middle of a shoot last Thursday week and wouldn't
> boot...
> Dead, dead dead. I left the batterys out over the weekend only to find it
> booted when I put batteries back in it, ready to send back to Canon. It
> originally had firmware 1.02 which I had flashed up to 1.04. I flashed
> this
> up to 1.05 after it came back to life.
>
> I use an obscure brand of CFC. Made by Kingston. This mob make some pretty
> good PC RAM which is why I bought their cards. They were on sale really
> cheap too. Guess what?
>
> At image 28 where the first lock up happened... Bam! Gone again. The same
> card seems to work OK in the other (older) camera which is the only one I
> still have. I sent the new one back as a trade for a 1D II so I'll never
> know about that again.
>
> I never had flash card problems with the 10D but it never wrote to the
> cards
> as fast as a 20D does. There's not firm evidence yet but I very strongly
> suspect it has a lot to do with the quality of the cards and very little
> do with the camera's know problems. I've got some Sandisk II cards which I
> used last week and never had a problem. I don't think I'll be using the
> Kingston's again for anything but paper weights.
>
> DIR - digital image recovery is German and English information is hard to
> come by. Here's the link to download it:
> http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/viewtopic.php?t=2...
>
> Doug

Hmmm, that's disturbing, I threw a Kingston (bought it for the same reason
you did) in this morning to shoot, I hadn't used it in the 20D, but my wife
has. She hasn't had any lockups, so this was one way I was going to see if
it was card or camera...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 10:44:22 PM

Robertwgross wrote:
> Skip wrote:
>
>>5) I format cards before I use them, just as a habit. Formatted in camera.
>

> You might try a complete format in the computer rather than the quick format in
> the camera. More often than not, Err 99 points to an undetermined problem which
> ends up being a lens communication issue.

There's no circumstance I know of where formatting in the camera isn't
superior to or at least equal to formatting in the computer. None.

Image recovery applications, of course, run on computers only, and are a
different kettle of fish.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Robertwgross wrote:
> > Skip wrote:
> >

> There's no circumstance I know of where formatting in the camera isn't
> superior to or at least equal to formatting in the computer. None.

The presumption here is that by formatting the card in the PC and then doing
a format in the camera before use, any file errors are erased and the card
is clean. The fast format which the camera does only replaces the first
character of a file name which is then universally recognised as available
space by the operating system. This is how "recovery" programs work... They
ignore the first character and pick up all the others.

It is often true that Windows XP prior to service pack 1a, may not format
the card correctly. It is also true that if a complete format is done by
windows and the tracks are intact, the camera will correctly format the card
itself. The camera is capable of a complete format *if* the file system is
damaged enough for the camera to switch to full format instead of fast
format.

More likely is file corruption caused by deleting images during editing via
the PC and the camera not liking what has happened to the card but the
alteration not being enough for the format process to go to complete.

I examined the Kingston card I had camera failure with. The format was
correct but a corrupted file and the allocation table suggests either the
card has an electronic fault or the images I erased - leaving some on the
card - with my PC may have caused to problem for me. I formatted the card in
a PC running Linux and then had the camera format the card. I now get past
recording 28 images without camera fault. Possibly the fault I reported is
due to this problem.

I also note my original 20D does not always 'see' a 512 meg card as 512 meg.
Sometimes it sees it as 256 meg. These are the original Sandisks I bought
with a 10D over a year ago. I personally intend to try a microdrive in
future and see if a disk drive is a better deal than solid state storage. I
don't seem to get any of these problem when I use the camera tethered to a
PC. We've doing Santa shoots tethered and get over 1000 shots a day with
complete reliability so the CFCs may well be the problem on 20Ds. None of
the cards I have ever gave a problem on the 10D.

Doug
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 9:49:04 AM

Ryadia wrote:

> "John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
>
>>Robertwgross wrote:
>>
>>>Skip wrote:
>>>

>>There's no circumstance I know of where formatting in the camera isn't
>>superior to or at least equal to formatting in the computer. None.
>>

> The presumption here is that by formatting the card in the PC and then doing
> a format in the camera before use, any file errors are erased and the card
> is clean. The fast format which the camera does only replaces the first
> character of a file name which is then universally recognised as available
> space by the operating system. This is how "recovery" programs work... They
> ignore the first character and pick up all the others.

What you describe as a fast format describes what I'd call "erase".

IAE, my presumption is that in-camera formatting always works, at least
on my Canons, and that PC formatting doesn't always work.

Q.E.D.

--

John McWilliams
Anonymous

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D MKsd.141216$V41.21122@attbi_s52...
> Ryadia wrote:
>
> What you describe as a fast format describes what I'd call "erase".
>
> IAE, my presumption is that in-camera formatting always works, at least
> on my Canons, and that PC formatting doesn't always work.

That's the very point John...
By formatting in the PC you erase all of Canon's recording and then when you
format in the camera, you let the camera re-create ###canon directory and
file system.

Doug
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 11:59:25 AM

"Art Salmons" <arthurw@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> You are scaring me half to death. I have a 10D that works great but
> has the known problems of time delay on start up, sometimes focus's
> wrong, Etc. I bought a 20D and my wife is giving it to me for
> Christmas. I hope that this isn't a camera problem that you are
> having. I bought the 20D and figured the design problems would be past
> after the 10D and then I could use the 20D until a significant change
> in the DSLR market occurs in terms of price verses performance. I
> think in the next two years the market should start to mature and the
> cameras should start to level out where they will end up. Meaning they
> will either go to a full size sensor for the consumer level bodies or
> not. They will settle on a mega pixel level for Pro, mid level
> consumer, and entry level that will sort of be a standard. That's when
> I plan on upgrading again from the 20D.
>
> Art

Hey Art...
I had no problems at all with the first 20D other than it locking up when I
changed lenses. It was cured in 5 minutes by using Canon's upgrade software.
If it makes you feel better... Canon have a 14 day replacement warranty
where if you have any problems, they'll replace the camera with a new one. I
had to do this with my first 10D. AFAIK the deal is still valid. I think it
was why I got full credit on one of mine as a trade on a proper Professional
camera.

All I can say is that those of us who rushed out and bought a 20D, probably
did so because of the sensor density and low light capabilities. The camera
is new, leading edge technology and may quite concievably (they did) have
some bugs. Hopefully Canon will find them all and either put out some new
firmware or do a recall. For my 2 bits worth, I think if you have a lock
problem when changing lenses, upgrade the firmware and it will go away. If
it doesn't, send your lens in for service.

I think the flash cards are producing all the other problems. I have no
problem shooting 1000/1500 frames a day with a 20D thethered to a PC. It's
when I use a cheap flash card (Kingston brand - on special at half price) I
get a problem. The only advise I can offer you and any other 20D owner is
never buy critical components cheap. You wouldn't buy out of date film to do
a wedding... Don't use junk cards to do one either. Change 'em often too!

Whatever happens... When these cameras are working at their peak, there
simply is no better camera for the money on the market today. ISO 1600 was
never going to be practical with a 10D but the 20D makes very usable
pictures at this speed. Don't let talk amongst owners trying to find a
better way to work, bother you. These cameras are the ones to have.

Doug
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 8:52:37 PM

> All the lockups were "Err99" types.

This is caused by a lens connection error. Non canon lenses are the worst
culprits especially Smegma.
--
For Welsh Military Flying visit .......
December 6, 2004 8:52:38 PM

"RustY©" <No.Mail@All.Thanks> wrote in message
> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
>> All the lockups were "Err99" types.
>
> This is caused by a lens connection error. Non canon lenses are the worst
> culprits especially Smegma.
> --
> For Welsh Military Flying visit .......

Lens connection error is "Err01," "Err99" is a catch all error code for "we
don't know what just happened, but the camera isn't working right." And, as
I noted previously, I was using a Canon 28-135 IS, not a Sigma. The latter,
by the way, in 17-35 form, has not produces a single lock up in any form on
the camera.
Thanks for trying to help, but next time, be sure of what the situation
is...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 3:51:44 AM

When I purchased a Nikon Coolpix 950, it came with an 8MB
card and I purchased a Microtech 32MB card with it, knowing
that I would want more space.

When using the 32MB card, the camera would occasionally
lock up, the only cure for which appeared to be to pop the
battery door briefly to power the camera down. It would
then work fine again until the next lock up. I replaced
the Microtech card with a Kingston 32MB card and had no
further trouble of that sort.

The Microtech 32MB card is the only one with which I
have experienced lock ups out of two brands of 8MB cards,
the Kingston 32MB, two brands of 128 MB cards, and a 512MB
card. (There were other problems with the 512MB card, but
I think that the Coolpix 950 just couldn't handle the size.
It would fill about half of the card, then indicate that
the card was empty and apparently start overwriting data if
I tried to continue to use it.)

Jim Morgan

!