Sign in with
Your question
Closed

SIMPLE QUESTIONs>>>HOPEFULLY

Last response: in Overclocking
February 26, 2013 5:21:54 AM

New to overclocking here! I have an I5-3570k @4.7ghz w/Vcore of 1.312 @ 33 c idle 41c 6 hours of Prime95...My question is ,,,
a.is the clock frequency supposed to stay at 4.7 ghz with only about 50 MHz spread no matter what the load is?

b. If it is normal do I have a good overclock going? and if so since I ran into instability in p95 @4.8ghz would increasing the cpu voltage help me achieve 4.8 or a little higher??

Thanks in advance And my cooler is the corsair h40 watercooler

More about : simple questions

a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 6:26:36 AM

What temps are you getting?
Score
February 26, 2013 1:05:54 PM

33 c-34c(@IDLE) with my manual fan control on low for the "Push" fan on my push pull config (Rad), and my 2 exhaust fans up top, and one intake on bottom,,(two front intakes controlled by pwm. // On high with my manual fan controller it drops it to about 29c to 31c (@ IDLE) full load it's 38-42c...So is my overclock supposed to go up to where I specified(ie/ 47x100mhz= 4.7ghz) with little to no spread in frequency?? Also since it seems like my temps are great ( I hope/think they are) is it as simple as increasing the cpu voltage just a bit to get a higher oc??
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 1:27:19 PM

staugiedawg88 said:
New to overclocking here! I have an I5-3570k @4.7ghz w/Vcore of 1.312 @ 33 c idle 41c 6 hours of Prime95...My question is ,,,
a.is the clock frequency supposed to stay at 4.7 ghz with only about 50 MHz spread no matter what the load is?

b. If it is normal do I have a good overclock going? and if so since I ran into instability in p95 @4.8ghz would increasing the cpu voltage help me achieve 4.8 or a little higher??

Thanks in advance And my cooler is the corsair h40 watercooler
]http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/banner/2708801.png

Did you run into instability in Prime95 with the current 4.7ghz oc, if so at what hour? I can't imagine being 24/7 stable at that Vcore at 4.7ghz unless you have a monster chip.
Score
February 26, 2013 2:08:02 PM

I ran into instability only with 4.8 and is was within minutes of launching p95. No instability on 4.7 , I stress tested it for a little under 7 hours and all was good and my pc since the overclock has went 10-12 hours stints with no hiccups and it goes to sleep and resumes well. Are you insinuating my Vcore isn't high enough?? Because I wouldn't know!! I would love some input because I don't want to fry my chip!!
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 2:53:06 PM

If you are running stable at that Vcore for 7hrs plus on Prime95 w/ good temps than you are good and you have a good chip. If you really want to push to 4.8ghz try slightly uping the Vcore until you can get Prime stable. Also check your manufacter's limit for voltage on the cpu and make sure you don't pass it.

4.7ghz stable is a good overclock though, you won't notice a difference from 4.7-4.8 in my opinion.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 2:54:20 PM

Same thing happened for my cpu, I hit 4.7ghz, was stable and couldn't get past 4.7 w/o alot more voltage, voltage and temperatures I couldn't justify given the VERY small performance gains.
Score
February 26, 2013 3:31:01 PM

What about 5.0ghz??? Would the performance gains of 5.0ghz beat out 4.7 ?? To do that would I just have to up the voltage a bit? Also I am bearing in mind temps and if they ever get too high I would revert to my current oc @4.7 ...My I5 3570k has never seen above 47 c so I want to push this thing a little more.
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 4:13:10 PM

Technically the performance gains from 4.7-4.8ghz or more will certainly "beat out" the 4.7 oc in benchmarks but little will be noticed in real world applications.

If you have only hit 47c and are at 1.3vcore than you have a solid amount of room to overclock, I would read up on the stickies Tom's has available. Basically though make sure you raise voltage only when you have to. Try upping the frequency until you can't boot. Than you up the voltage alittle until you can boot Windows. Then run Prime and watch your temps, if you crash, add alittle more Vcore, rinse/repeat. Make sure you do some research before you start though, there are many biossettings that need to be switched off as well, such as any power saving or throttling features.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 4:14:51 PM

Also, if you do experience instability it isn't always your CPU or not enough voltage, it can be anything from RAM timings, to a setting you missed in bios. Usually manually setting your RAM timings and voltage will avoid these issues. Refer to the manufacter's information for default timings and voltage.
Score
February 26, 2013 4:38:56 PM

I set my ram up for xmp (1648) and now running p95 @ 4.9 42c no hiccups so far at 45 minutes into test!/
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 4:40:34 PM

Whats your Vcore? If you are approaching 1.4 be careful. I wouldn't exceed 1.4v on that cpu.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 4:41:37 PM

staugiedawg88 said:
I set my ram up for xmp (1648) and now running p95 @ 4.9 42c no hiccups so far at 45 minutes into test!/

Really good temps, the H40 seems to be doing a good job. what are you using to monitor temps btw? Try to run 2 programs so that you know you are getting accuracy.
Score
February 26, 2013 5:08:02 PM

I am using CoreTemp and AI Suite's Probe 2 also have CPUZ running to double check core frequency accuracy as well.
The NZXT "Pull" Fan on the h40 rad runs at around 5k rpms when on high and is not too loud. I have the same 120mm fan mounted as an intake on the bottom and 2 xigmatek 120mm 90cfm intakes on the front along with 2x 140mm NZXT exhaust fans up top ;;;;;could all that cooling attribute to my low temps ??? Because I've had many people tell me that they are "abnormally low temps" .....before I overclocked it at all it was running at 19c and 25c under load...Do I have a God-Chip lol?? Also wanted to throw out there...my mobo stays at 26c no matter what always/except for when My GTX 670 is under full load but even then I've seen it max out around 32c...
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 6:12:22 PM

Yea dood, you either have amazing push/pull in your case, a god chip or bad sensors (but it is very likely not sensors ;p). It has to be your case and fan setup along with the H40, and you also probably have a REALLY good chip too. All that added up and there are your temps haha.

My chip gets hot where I'm at, I'm going liquid cooling this week myself.
Score
February 26, 2013 11:44:30 PM

Thank you chrisafp07 for your direction so far!! And I sure hope my sensors aren't bad but I'll go with not because of the ice cold air blowing out of the exhaust fans lol! Also I'm glad that in a life full of snags that this 1400 dollar investment worked out!!

SO As far as the OC goes it IS supposed to idle at 4.9 and be at 4.9 under load?? Other than that question I think I am set! :bounce:  :bounce: 
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 3:00:38 AM

Yes, the cpu frequency will stay the same when idle or at load. How'd your stress testing go?Also no problem at all bud! :) 
Score
a c 186 à CPUs
a c 150 K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 4:45:34 AM

You sure?

The H40 is a pretty bad CLC, can you post load temps?
Score
February 27, 2013 9:50:59 AM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t3g8n52k08t8ojj/Screenshot%20...

This is only 10 minutes of small ffts on P95 but I have done probably 35+ hours of stress testing and am 100% stable,, I was oced to 4.9 but hit instability at around hour 3 @ 42c...Dropped it back down to 4.7 and its humming right along. As far as the h40 being a bad cooler, I think my temps speak for that as this chip has never seen above 45c//actually it takes about 5 hours on p95 to get up to 43 then after that it bounces between 43-42 for the remainder of the test, whether it be 20 hours or 5.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 11:28:10 AM

The H40 isn't bad at all, sure it isn't a Custom water cooling loop but it isn't bad. It def will allow for successful oc and good temps. I personally don't want to build a custom loop myself yet either, I purchased the Antec 920, I'll try it out and go from there. I've had a good amount of experience overclocking other chips so it is only a matter of time. Maybe next year I'll do custom water but I'm happy where my system is at.

Stick with your H40 until you aren't happy with the results or you want to upgrade. :)  for now you are good. 4.8 stable with those temps, no complaining can be done. Just select a right answer and this post will get closed and you can come abck if you have any future issues! Goodluck bud.
Score
February 27, 2013 12:13:02 PM

Best answer selected by staugiedawg88.
Score
!