botbe40

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Hello, I bought 2 used Toshiba Tecra 9100 on ebay, they have windows xp pro on them. I don't have a password, I tried reformatting with an xp disc from ebay that went with a dell. Something isn't working now, windows won't recognize, I'll use Linux if I can figure out how to load it...any one have even some sort of a clue?

First, the ones that you bought in the first place should have come with necessary passwords, unless they were stolen. Contact the seller. If the seller can't provide them, you have a moral dilemma.

Second, an XP disc that came with another machine is both legally and technically not installable on your machine. Technically, because it will only have the drivers for the Dell it was meant for. Legally, because the OEM license is limited to the machine it came with.

Contact the sellers. My best guess is that you have been sold stolen or against-license material. You could always purchase a legitimate, retail XP disc and install it on - one of them. You would need two discs for the two of them.

It sounds like you might have gotten snookered on your purchase.

Just as a heads up, We are not able to help you with password issues as its against forum rules.

Like WyomingKnot already mentioned the DELL disc is going to do you no good especially if you try to reinstall by booting to the CD as it is encoded with the product key for whatever machine it came from originally.

As for obtaining a legit copy of XP. I think that there is a generic XP product key that is being provided now since M$ considers the OS end of life now.

botbe40

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
The XP OS from the Dell worked fine, once I got around to figuring out what to do, I needed to reformat the hard drive and MS recognized it. Thanks for the help anyway, it was more a matter of connecting to the net and then the full OS went in fine.

botbe40

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Once I figured out what I was doing wrong, didn't have the net connected, the OS from Dell went in fine, MS has recognized it. It was a legal move though it doesn't seem like it.