Should I Upgrade CPU or 2 9800GTX+

zach attack

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Hello,
I've got a gaming computer that I want to boost the performance of.

Specs are:

NVIDIA 9800GTX+
Intel Duo E8400 3.00GHz
4.00 GB RAM
Vista 64 Bit
P5N-D Motherboard

When playing games with some high end graphics going and a lot of "action" there's some lag. I'm not sure if it's the processor or the video card so I came here to ask. What would be the better upgrade? CPU or SLI. The SLI would be the cheapest but I'm not sure if it will help.

Another thing while I'm asking is temperature. It seems like our computer is running hot. Once I left it on and it had a really bad burning smell coming from it after leaving it on for a couple days. There is nothing wrong with it but I'm not sure if it's a problem.

Thanks in advance!

xaira

Distinguished
get

http://www.cpuid.com/medias/files/softwares/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.16-setup.exe

this will tell you ur temps, make sure the 9800gtx and the cpu heatsink are not clogged with dust, because these underclock themselves when they get too hot which could affect perf, the e8400 is a very capable cpu,

what games is the lag experienced with?
what resolution?
and make sure that the perfromance preset in nvidia control pannel is set to best performance, eye candy is useless if ur getting 15 fps

zach attack

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Thanks.

Resolution:

1680 by 1050

The games that we have lag with are Arma 2 and Crysis. Others if a lot of action is occurring.

I probably shouldn't be complaining since we can run almost all games full graphics with periodic lag.

One thing I have major lag doing is editing videos. There 1080p at a large resolution and I can't play them back very well at all. Would another video card help this?

xaira

Distinguished
the video editing part is definitely down to the cpu, dont play crysis at 1680x1050, lower the res, my monitor is 1080p and i play at 720p, and i have no lag, get a c2q, the videoediting probs should be over, the trick withe the gpu is knowing how to set it because i find the 9800gtx+ a very capable card

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
^ +1 overclock that CPU and see if that helps. If you're still unsatisfied go for the 2nd 9800GTX.

You have trouble with video playback or during actual editing/encoding? If you have trouble playing a simple 1080p video then there is another issue. Sub $50 video cards on sub $60 CPUs can play HD video easy.

zach attack

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
Alright I guess I'll look into overclocking. Not really sure about it... I've heard stories of people frying there CPU's. Also cooling is another thing but I'm sure I'm fine because I believe the CPU is liquid cooled.

I have issues with both editing and viewing the videos I have recorded. I haven't tried watching a HD dvd or anything though so I'll try it out but it could easily be the my settings for playback in Vegas (editing software).

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
With newer CPU's it's impossible to literally "fry" a CPU.
At temps of over 100C they clock back until the temp is safe, and if it's still not safe it shuts down.
Anyways with a good cooler the temps will be fine unless you really add voltage.

To check if it is liquid-cooled, there will be pipes coming from the CPU, they are usually pretty thick, and there will be a reservoir/pump.