What will happen to my data if I do this?

imapaladin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I'm building a new computer, and one of the components I'm replacing is the HDD.

The question is, if I turn my current HDD into an external one, and plug it into my new computer through USB, will I be able

to retrieve the data on this?

Or will it not work since this has an OS installed on it? (although since it's not the primary driver, it probably won't matter

but I'm still concerned because I haven't done this before)

I'm alreayd spending quite a bit of money and I don't really want to spend more money on an external HDD just to back up

my data.

Solution
You should be able to retrieve the DATA. You would not need even a external enclosure after you set up your new computer with new HDD and OS you can temporarily connect your old drive internally to retrieve the data but either way should work.
You should be able to retrieve the DATA. You would not need even a external enclosure after you set up your new computer with new HDD and OS you can temporarily connect your old drive internally to retrieve the data but either way should work.

Solution

illfindu

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009
You will most likely be able to accesses all your data , just to explain a little the OS keeps a record of where data is stored but it isnt really contingent on the OS its self and is not a part of the OS on the Drive the same way multiple OS's on a system can get to the same data. And as a third option there are pretty cheap cables with power you can get that allow you to run a hard drive with out a enclosure.