Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Dedicated PSU Help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 19, 2010 1:18:27 PM

My CPU has only 275W power supply (dell xps 210), so to upgrade video card, bought galaxy 9600 with 6 pin PCI-E connection and Visiontek 450 PSU to plug directly into card (keeping PSU externally since its slimline comp). After installing new card and plugging in PSU, nothing! ONly computer starting gets the cards fan to spin but then not enough power to get the monitor to wake up. Thought I could just plug the new 450 psu directly into card, plug psu into outlet and that would be enough. Am I missing something? How do I "turn on" the new PSU?

More about : dedicated psu

a c 147 U Graphics card
March 19, 2010 1:28:26 PM

Power supplies need a motherboard connection in order to turn on. They provide a small amount of power to the system until you power on the computer and the mobo send a signal for it to turn on the rest of the power supply.

Your best bet, and I had a buddy who did this on a slimline, is to remove the stock psu. Then pull all the 450W psu cables through the hole in the back were the stock psu was and run the entire thing off that PSU. Granted it looked like the little computer had a growth coming out of it, but it worked. His PSU died and was out of warranty. a replacement was ridiculously expensive.
m
0
l
March 19, 2010 2:19:20 PM

jay2tall said:
Power supplies need a motherboard connection in order to turn on. They provide a small amount of power to the system until you power on the computer and the mobo send a signal for it to turn on the rest of the power supply.

Your best bet, and I had a buddy who did this on a slimline, is to remove the stock psu. Then pull all the 450W psu cables through the hole in the back were the stock psu was and run the entire thing off that PSU. Granted it looked like the little computer had a growth coming out of it, but it worked. His PSU died and was out of warranty. a replacement was ridiculously expensive.



Thanks, Jay. Figures. The PSU came with splice cables for the mobo...can I just hook it up to CPU supply and use both? Instructions are horrible so not sure how to do that. Looks like I should be looking for a 4-pin molex on my stock PSU to plug into new one....might be in over my head though. Any hints or instructions much appreciated.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 147 U Graphics card
March 19, 2010 2:28:27 PM

oh wait, is this ACTUALLY one of the dedicated PSU's. What model? some of them are different. Some have a motherboard connector that plugs in and then the main PSU plugs into that. My buddy has one that has a 4 pin molex on the back that you plug the main PSU into so that it knows when to turn on and off. That sounds like what it was.

I was envisioning that you had a standard PSU that you are dedicating to your graphics.
m
0
l
March 19, 2010 2:55:43 PM

jay2tall said:
oh wait, is this ACTUALLY one of the dedicated PSU's. What model? some of them are different. Some have a motherboard connector that plugs in and then the main PSU plugs into that. My buddy has one that has a 4 pin molex on the back that you plug the main PSU into so that it knows when to turn on and off. That sounds like what it was.

I was envisioning that you had a standard PSU that you are dedicating to your graphics.



Here is the PSU I bought:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

Here is graphics card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My system is Dell xps 210.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/SYSTEMS/xps210/en...

So far, just tried hooking up plugged in Visiontek to card itself using 6-pin and no dice...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2010 3:30:28 PM

Looks like with that dedicated PSU, you have to plug a molex (4 pin) power connector FROM the main PSU into the dedicated PSU- that will tell it when to turn on/off and all of those things. So just route a Molex cable from inside your case, out through the back and plug it into the greenish Molex plug on the back of the Visiontek.
m
0
l
March 19, 2010 4:16:52 PM

flyinfinni said:
Looks like with that dedicated PSU, you have to plug a molex (4 pin) power connector FROM the main PSU into the dedicated PSU- that will tell it when to turn on/off and all of those things. So just route a Molex cable from inside your case, out through the back and plug it into the greenish Molex plug on the back of the Visiontek.



You guys are great. Thanks for all your help. The PSU didnt come with 4-pin cable (came with just about every other kind of cable though). Even if I had one, not sure where it connects to PSU...does every stock PSU have a 4-pin molex input? In a little bit over my head...would it be easier to just get a different dedicated PSU that doesnt need a main PSU connection and just plugs directly into card?

Thanks again.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2010 4:22:44 PM

I think you NEED to have that connection to the Main PSU no matter what dedicated PSU you end up with- it needs to sync the power-on and stuff.
The Molex connector you need is something that ALL PSU's have. Its the power connector you use when you plug in an IDE CDrom or Hard drive. so what you want to look for is a cable coming from the main PSU inside your computer that has a molex connector on it (its just the flatish 4 pin connector- pretty standard). your new PSU won't have come with one I don't think, so don't worry about that.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag... (look at the greenish plug on the far right- thats what you need to plug into from the main PSU.
m
0
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
March 19, 2010 4:58:32 PM

^
That is exactly what my buddies looks like, except his fits in a 5.25 drive bay. You have to take a 4 pin molex from the primary power supply and plug it in this one. If you look at the pics it has an expansion slot metal piece with a notch out of it. I guess that is where you feed it through. However since you have a slimline I would just remove one of them, and leave it out. My guess is your cables wont be long enough and you will need to get an extension of some kind. Somethign like this but maybe one to one, though I've never seen one. Maybe they have them on ebay. This is what functions as an "on" switch for the unit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2010 5:03:11 PM

I believe that one fits in a 5.25" drive bay as well, just like your buddies. ;-) I agree- he'll probably need one of those molex extender/multipliers though.
m
0
l
March 19, 2010 7:24:05 PM

So..after much taking apart and looking, etc. looks like the Dell's stock PSU has no 4 pin molex. It's connections to the SATA drive and CD-rom are both slim and small--nothing like the molex.

This is what I have. http://www.impactcomputers.com/h275p-01.html#

Dang, lookin like this puppy not meant to be upgraded at all. Not much hope for improving the graphics card without more juice.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2010 7:30:02 PM

OH wow... that might make things a little more difficult. Do you have EXTRA Sata power connectors? You could get a SATA to Molex power adapter like this one:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
If you can piece together some of these types of things, you should be able to make it work.
Share
a b U Graphics card
March 19, 2010 7:31:20 PM

Jay- beat me to that one- and with a better product:-) Nice- didn't know they made that type, which would work much better.
m
0
l
March 20, 2010 3:19:54 AM

Jesus you guys are stellar. Done and done. One more thing, then...if I can manage to hook up the new dedicated PCU via this connection, am I boosting the whole power supply to the computer as well? Or still just for card....wondering if I can now get a better card now without relying on the 6 pin connection directly to the card.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2010 4:01:29 PM

You'd just boosting the the supply to the card with the 6pin connector. Your card cannot be run without that connection anyway. You could get a newer, higher powered card now, but you would still need that connection because the slot the card plugs into can only provide part of the power you need for the card- thats why the 6pin connector is there. I have 2 cards, all running on my single internal PSU, and I have a 6-pin connector hooked to each of them to run.
m
0
l
March 24, 2010 4:13:51 AM

Worked. You guys are both rock stars. Many thanks.
m
0
l
March 24, 2010 4:14:13 AM

Best answer selected by mcteague.
m
0
l
!