80 gig Intel SSD
5850 Saphire GPU
i5 750 CPU
650w HX Corsair Modular PSU
Gigabyte P55M-UD4 Motherboard
Samsung Spinpoint F3 500gig HD
Sony 24x CD/DVD Sata Drive
Silverstone SG04 Case

I put it together last night and it took forever due to having such a small space to work with. When I finished I tried to turn it on and the Power LED was lit, the motherboard had some LEDs lit, and the fans were spinning but there was no signal on my monitor. The only thing I can THINK of offhand is the fact that my case instructions told me to "attach the included 4pin ATX cable to the motherboard" and then says "connect the included 4pin ATX to the PSU" which is something I did not do. I didnt see where I could plug it in, the PSU includes a 8 pin cord.

Solution
Yes, both connectors have to be plugged in. I guess I need to re-word that section of the guide. I thought it made it clear that they both have to be plugged in, but it's been a while since I checked the wording.

trenchtoaster

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
2. Did you plug in the 4/8-pin CPU power connector located near the CPU socket? If the motherboard has 8 pins and your PSU only has 4 pins, you can use the 4-pin connector. The 4-pin connector USUALLY goes on the 4 pins located closest to the CPU. If the motherboard has an 8-pin connector with a cover over 4 pins, you can remove the cover and use an 8-pin plug if your power supply has one. This power connector provides power to the CPU. Your system has no chance of posting without this connector plugged in! Check your motherboard owners manual for more information about the CPU power connector. This is easily the most common new-builder mistake.

Hey so question, my PSU has an 8 plug connection that is connected near the CPU ATX_12v_2x4. I also had the big cord plugged into the 24 hole ATX connection- should I only have one or the other plugged in or what?

fastx21

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Use the 8 plug pin AND the 20+4 pin connector (larger).
I think you should have a separate 4 pin connector not used.
Other then that I know the Intel gigabyte uses 1-3 and 2-4 slots for memory.

trenchtoaster

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2006
Yep, it was the ram. everything is working now- I am installing things as we speak.

For the SSD I was thinking of my OS, Office, Heroes of Newerth, Warhammer... everything else will go on my 7200 drive. can someone link me the best optimization guide please?

also, with the SG04 and no aftermarket cooling and no playing with voltages, can I OC the i5 or the 5850 at all safely? btw, I could NOT fit my lower 120mm into my case due to the PCI-E cords needing to plug into the end of the 5850.. I am only running with 1 120mm fan now.

Alvin Smith

Distinguished

Not to hijack, but just to suck up ...

I would like to take this opportunity to garner my personal thanks, to you, Short-Stuff, for all the cool things you do for us.

[:bilbat:5] - [:bilbat:5] - [:bilbat:5]

=Sincere =