CPU overheating & crash

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
My question is: Can an overheating CPU kill hardware and cause artifacting.

I have recently had 2 video cards perish with artifacting problems. A third card i'm using until the replacement comes works fine for a while while gaming until the pc completely crashes.

I'm running all kinds of tests and probed all my hardware. My CPU quickly exceeds its maximum temperature rating of 71 degrees Celsius at 73 when being pushed. It is at 40 degrees celsius currently at idle. I have the stock heatsink on the processor and fairly good system ventilation.

amd 64 x2 5600
geforce 9800gt currently
asus m2n-sli mobo

Double check and make sure the heatsink is touching the processor.
Make sure the computer is not enclosed in a cabinent - this will kill your computer.
Make sure you have proper ventalation in your case (ie exhaust fans, intake fans, top fans, side case fans)

To me it sounds like you live in a very hot area and your computer is sitting in an area with poor air circulation. If not then check your power supply.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
oh right I forgot to mention that I already swapped the PSU out for a brand new antec 500w. I thought my previous rosewill 500w was under volting causing the cards to get fried. It is definitely not the power supply.

I have proper ventilation and often have the room at room temperature or lower.

Is it possible for my CPU to be half fried to where it only causes crashing and artifacting during heavy gaming? I never overclocked anything, but its possible my cpu is just getting beat up from all my hardcore game sessions.

Help me get this solved good people of toms hardware....i'm fiending for some hardcore game sessions at this time. -Thanks -kyle

Even if you're not overclocking, you may need a better heatsink to keep your cpu cooler under load. I live in south texas, and have a similar heat issue. I recommend any 120 mm heatpipe fan, such as models made by scythe or thermaltake. Check newegg and your board socket area for possible sizing issues.

The first thing to try when you are experiencing CPU overheating is to blow out your heatsink and verify your fan is working correctly. If it's full of cruft, the air can't reach the heatsink and wick away the heat. If you've cleaned out your heatsink and that hasn't fixed it, you need to reseat your CPU with new TIM. These two steps should cure any overheating issues you are having, unless you are overclocking with a stock HSF. If you are overclocking with the stock HSF, shame on you.

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
Plus +1 to Techgeek
If it very warm and no airflow where you cpu is sitting, try opening the case and using a small fan to blow around your cpu & video card.
You may still want to look at getting another cpu cooler. Corsair just released 2 new Core Contact coolers - A50 & A70

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
well yesterday I went to reapply thermal compound and clean out dusties. I discovered that my heatsink clamp was actually not clamped right..from the beginning (years ago when i first built this pc)

so my heatsink has been 1/2 on for the past 2+ years. No doubt this has caused some damage to the cpu or something.

Reseating the HS and reapplying thermal compound has helped my cpu to stay a bit cooler.

Eve online crashed about 25 mins into gameplay still yeterday...

Going to see if i can get through an hour of bad company 2. Maybe eve online is just geekin out. (crosses fingers)

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
ok that was a wicked bad company session, but also running into crashes on that as well.

Basically if my hardware is stressed hard enough (20+ mins of HQ games) it performs the exact same glitchy buzzing noise and insta-lockup.

I decided that for my purposes buying a new quadcore would have negligible advantages. So help me out here guys I have no idea whats causing this.

also running windows 7 64 bit
2gb RAM
latest Nvidia drivers.