Sign in with
Your question

Building a new system!! help!!

Last response: in Systems
April 8, 2010 3:54:59 AM

So I've recently been looking into building my own computer. I am familiar with the parts I need just wondering what I can keep from my old comp and what I should buy new.

My goal is really to be able to play the best games on highest graphic settings without any lag, and i know that means buy the "best" stuff, but just want your opinions where I can cut some prices. ^_^

Current Setup:

Model: Acer Aspire M1100
Processor: AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4400+ ~2.3GHz
RAM: 2GB
Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT (1267 MB) (upgraded from original)
PSU: EarthWatts 650W PSU (upgraded from original)
Sound: Realtek Audio
I don't know what kind of motherboard it is, but I'm sure it's not to high quality, since I paid 300$ like 2 years ago for the computer i bought @ bestbuy. and ive only upgraded the vid card and PSU on it.

Basically I want to know, is it even worth keeping anything to transfer to a new computer, and what are some ideas of good performing/semi cheap items for my new comp ^_^

ty

More about : building system

April 8, 2010 5:14:44 AM

Looks like the OS and the PSU is the only things worth keeping.

You could keep the case too, but a good case is only $30-50. You could sell your 8800 GT on craigslist for $60 though.
m
l
Related resources
April 8, 2010 8:33:04 AM

PSU, HDD if SATA and ODD? What display/resolution you on?
m
l
April 8, 2010 7:57:58 PM

Yup, if you're not buying a new larger monitor, you may not need anything more than a new mobo with a faster CPU. Your 8800 GT is sufficient for 19" and even 21" with some detail settings toned in certain games.
m
l
April 8, 2010 8:09:47 PM

also keep in mind that if you decide to upgrade to a better GPU you may have to get a bigger PSU depending on what GPU you would be set on getting

speaking of the PSU is earthwatts a good brand anyway?
m
l
April 9, 2010 11:01:48 AM

Antec Earthwatts is a very decent line of PSUs ^^
m
l
April 12, 2010 12:32:23 PM

im running with a24'' LG monitor so not sure the res im @ work atm but its 1920x1080 i believe

i was thinking the psu was fine just upgrading mostly everything else

the psu has 22A+ on each of the 3 rails. so its decent.

e/ my friend has a gts 250 i was thinking about getting one of those, or if anyone has has a recomendation for a card that's 200ish or lower thats better then the gts250 let me no, also a good processor/mobo for a resonable price that's up to standards for these days gaming.
m
l
!