Building a new system!! help!!

So I've recently been looking into building my own computer. I am familiar with the parts I need just wondering what I can keep from my old comp and what I should buy new.

My goal is really to be able to play the best games on highest graphic settings without any lag, and i know that means buy the "best" stuff, but just want your opinions where I can cut some prices. ^_^

Current Setup:

Model: Acer Aspire M1100
Processor: AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4400+ ~2.3GHz
RAM: 2GB
Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT (1267 MB) (upgraded from original)
PSU: EarthWatts 650W PSU (upgraded from original)
Sound: Realtek Audio
I don't know what kind of motherboard it is, but I'm sure it's not to high quality, since I paid 300$ like 2 years ago for the computer i bought @ bestbuy. and ive only upgraded the vid card and PSU on it.

Basically I want to know, is it even worth keeping anything to transfer to a new computer, and what are some ideas of good performing/semi cheap items for my new comp ^_^

ty
7 answers Last reply
More about building system help
  1. Read and fill out sticky
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

Offhand I'd say PSU, maybe. That's about it.
  2. Looks like the OS and the PSU is the only things worth keeping.

You could keep the case too, but a good case is only $30-50. You could sell your 8800 GT on craigslist for $60 though.
  3. PSU, HDD if SATA and ODD? What display/resolution you on?
  4. Yup, if you're not buying a new larger monitor, you may not need anything more than a new mobo with a faster CPU. Your 8800 GT is sufficient for 19" and even 21" with some detail settings toned in certain games.
  5. also keep in mind that if you decide to upgrade to a better GPU you may have to get a bigger PSU depending on what GPU you would be set on getting

speaking of the PSU is earthwatts a good brand anyway?
  6. Antec Earthwatts is a very decent line of PSUs ^^
  7. im running with a24'' LG monitor so not sure the res im @ work atm but its 1920x1080 i believe

i was thinking the psu was fine just upgrading mostly everything else

the psu has 22A+ on each of the 3 rails. so its decent.

e/ my friend has a gts 250 i was thinking about getting one of those, or if anyone has has a recomendation for a card that's 200ish or lower thats better then the gts250 let me no, also a good processor/mobo for a resonable price that's up to standards for these days gaming.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Systems