New Build HD Video Editing

thelounge

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 1-2 Months

BUDGET RANGE: About 1,500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: HD Video editing, Photoshop (nothing to intense), maybe gaming (Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 if it ever comes out)

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: none

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: I am considering overclocking an i7 on an asus based on some other feedback but want to get more from others. Probably will get a GTX series card

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1440x900 is fine

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Going to be editing sports films mainly in HD. Working with 2-3 hours of source material down to smaller amounts and eventually larger projects with 20-30 hours of HD footage.

Some items looked at
Processor:
i920 or i930??

MOBO:
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail (Should I get this if I overclock)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131365

Ram
6GB Corsair DDR1600(12800)

HDD:
Should I go solid state for OS/apps?

Either a 1 or 2TB data drive for video. Completed projects will be stored on separate system so not a need for long term storage

Graphics;
Probably will use GTX 200 series

Power
No clue what I need

Case:
No clue/don't care what it looks like

Proc : i7 920. Cheaper than 930 but not really different

Mobo : pick any of the 2, which you have mentioned. Both are good options.

RAM : If you like it, I don't see why not.

HDD : SSD is fast but expensive, expensive but really really worth the price. If you are planning to use SSD, be sure to have another one for your data. getting a big sized SSD doesn't worth the price. 80GB from intel should be enough and another 1 or 2 TB HDD from WD, Seagate or Samsung.

Graphic : I don't really get your budget for the graphic card but if you are not a hardcore gamer ATI HD5770 should be enough. Get at least HD5850 if you are a hardcore gamer and if you can afford it.

PSU : planning on X-fire? 750W or a little bit higher from Corsair should be enough.

Case : coolermaster cm690 is nice

Proc cooler : you will need one for OC. Xigmatek Dark Knight-S1283V looks good.

thelounge

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Thanks for the input. In terms of the graphics care I was previously told to look at the GTX vs ATI since those work better with some of the video editing software out there. Is that not the case? Not a huge gamer at all on PC so game performance is not a concern.