Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Overclocking Amd Phenom II x6 1090t and 2-way sli msi gtx 570

Last response: in Overclocking
February 26, 2013 3:20:02 PM

Hello everyone,

I need some help I want to overclock my cpu (amd phenom II x6 1090t) and my 2 msi gtx 570's in sli....

I would like to have a nice overclock on both

Maybe 3.8 ghz is that to high? But I also want to overclock the graphics but I don't know what to put them out

Would love all suggestions thanks :)  :) 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 3:26:45 PM

3.8 is fine I got mine up to 4.2 but at insane voltages so I don't recommend that. My real question is there anything you can't do right now? I know my 1090t and a 670gtx heat up my office quite fast after a couple hours of gamming you setup will be even worse.. I would start with a 3.6 ghz overclock on CPU then slide up your sliders on the 570 20 on cpu and leave shaders locked and the smaller increments up from there if your still looking for more. But I really doubt there is much you can't do as it sits...

Thent
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 3:29:20 PM

start by researching read this guide for cpu http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274820-11-black-edi..., you can check out this thread http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261868-11-overclock... for ideas on what other ppl have managed with different settings and in general there is just some good info to be found there, concentrate on overclocking one thing at a time so start cpu and find a stable setting and then look at your gpu's, start out slowly and find out the limits of your chip and if you have any specific questions post back at these forums :) 
Score
Related resources
February 26, 2013 3:29:45 PM

Well my cpu is water cooled and I'm about to get some water cooling stuff for my graphics cards
Score
February 26, 2013 3:31:02 PM

kiezz said:
start by researching read this guide for cpu http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274820-11-black-edi..., you can check out this thread http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261868-11-overclock... for ideas on what other ppl have managed with different settings and in general there is just some good info to be found there, concentrate on overclocking one thing at a time so start cpu and find a stable setting and then look at your gpu's, start out slowly and find out the limits of your chip and if you have any specific questions post back at these forums :) 

Thanks ill look at the forums
Score
February 26, 2013 3:32:27 PM

thently said:
3.8 is fine I got mine up to 4.2 but at insane voltages so I don't recommend that. My real question is there anything you can't do right now? I know my 1090t and a 670gtx heat up my office quite fast after a couple hours of gamming you setup will be even worse.. I would start with a 3.6 ghz overclock on CPU then slide up your sliders on the 570 20 on cpu and leave shaders locked and the smaller increments up from there if your still looking for more. But I really doubt there is much you can't do as it sits...

Thent

Well my cpu is water cooled and I'm about to get some water cooling stuff for my graphics cards
Score
February 26, 2013 5:22:51 PM

Does any Body have a good overclock for the graphics cards
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 5:55:07 PM

well 62c is when you damage your cpu(your pc should shutdown if the core hits 60c) so if your using prime95 to stress test at 100% load you don't want to see it go over 52c in my opinion, if you want to test the boundaries thats upto you but you should be fine on water cooling (assuming its a custom loop) just keep your voltage 1.5v and under, gpu's can take more heat and some people are happy to run them in the 80c's again i like to err on the side of caution and keep it 75c and under, if you look up the technical specs of your gpu it should say what the maximum temperature limit is
Score
February 26, 2013 6:10:08 PM

kiezz said:
well 62c is when you damage your cpu(your pc should shutdown if the core hits 60c) so if your using prime95 to stress test at 100% load you don't want to see it go over 52c in my opinion, if you want to test the boundaries thats upto you but you should be fine on water cooling (assuming its a custom loop) just keep your voltage 1.5v and under, gpu's can take more heat and some people are happy to run them in the 80c's again i like to err on the side of caution and keep it 75c and under, if you look up the technical specs of your gpu it should say what the maximum temperature limit is

Ok cool....no it's not a custom loop but it is an all in one and keeps it about 29 - 30 celcus
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 26, 2013 6:31:34 PM

ok well just keep an eye on the temperatures when you overclock, test them using a program like prime95 to put load on the cpu and see what the full load temperatures are
Score
February 26, 2013 9:11:43 PM

kiezz said:
ok well just keep an eye on the temperatures when you overclock, test them using a program like prime95 to put load on the cpu and see what the full load temperatures are

Ok thanks
Score
February 27, 2013 9:19:19 AM

kiezz said:

Ok I'm stable at 3.7 ghz but when I go into windows it's say the core voltage is 1.525 but I set the voltage in bios settings to 1.400 is tht just windows being weird?
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 10:12:33 AM

what program are you using to check in windows? don't apply any more voltage just incase, 1.52v is definitely max voltage be careful what you set and its very high for 3.7ghz, can you post images of your bios settings or give all the details?
Score
February 27, 2013 10:35:58 AM

kiezz said:
what program are you using to check in windows? don't apply any more voltage just incase, 1.52v is definitely max voltage be careful what you set and its very high for 3.7ghz, can you post images of your bios settings or give all the details?

I'm using cpu-z and hardware monitor......I mean I set 1.40 in the bios.....I can't post pics right now because I'm at school
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 10:45:52 AM

well I'd say cpu-z and hwmonitor are reading it right, its widely regarded that 1.5v is safe on air and 1.55v on water and what you have would be considered on par with good air cooling so just be careful it may have something to do with load line calibration although it seems to high a jump from 1.4 to 1.5 to be this, if you post pics when you get home I'll check back later and see if i can help
Score
February 27, 2013 11:04:15 AM

kiezz said:
well I'd say cpu-z and hwmonitor are reading it right, its widely regarded that 1.5v is safe on air and 1.55v on water and what you have would be considered on par with good air cooling so just be careful it may have something to do with load line calibration although it seems to high a jump from 1.4 to 1.5 to be this, if you post pics when you get home I'll check back later and see if i can help

ok will do just saying my mobo is old its a Asus Crosshair II with chip set Nvidia Nforce 780a
Score
February 27, 2013 10:02:41 PM

kiezz said:

Here is a link to the pictures

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1HNWHPiVWZFfnsFx...
Score

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 28, 2013 9:16:28 AM

Well I'm surprised that cpu-z and hwmonitor are reading the voltage wrong, I'd start over from the start to be honest, start by making sure you have bios version 2509 http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/CROSSHAIR_II_FORMULA/#s... bring the frequency back to 200 and start by bringing the multiplier up to say 18 for 3.6ghz, do a stability test check your temperature, if all ok then keep pushing the multiplier until you lose stability and drop it back one, once you've found you multiplier point then fine tune with the frequency, upping that in 5 or 10mhz at a time testing stability and temperature after each increase, this may sound like a pain but it will be the best way to find your top overclock on your chipset, I wouldn't feed the chip anymore than 1.5v looking for stability
February 28, 2013 10:57:49 AM

kiezz said:
Well I'm surprised that cpu-z and hwmonitor are reading the voltage wrong, I'd start over from the start to be honest, start by making sure you have bios version 2509 http://www.asus.com/Motherboard/CROSSHAIR_II_FORMULA/#s... bring the frequency back to 200 and start by bringing the multiplier up to say 18 for 3.6ghz, do a stability test check your temperature, if all ok then keep pushing the multiplier until you lose stability and drop it back one, once you've found you multiplier point then fine tune with the frequency, upping that in 5 or 10mhz at a time testing stability and temperature after each increase, this may sound like a pain but it will be the best way to find your top overclock on your chipset, I wouldn't feed the chip anymore than 1.5v looking for stability

Ok will try all tht.....should I also just update to the latest bios update 2702?
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 28, 2013 11:16:29 AM

yeah do as it looks like a fix
Score
February 28, 2013 11:36:56 AM

kiezz said:
yeah do as it looks like a fix

Ok will do........another question for u I set my graphics to these overclock settings (done in afterburner) Core Voltage - 1075, Core clock - 900, Shader Clock 1800, and Memory Clock - 2000......when I did that it took it fine ever stayed the same temp but when I ran heaven benchmark the benchmark ran but it started flashing random colors on the screen along with the benchmark video and I also heard a low buzzing noise........so I quickly stopped the benchmark and lowered the setting to 1025/850/2000 and the screen colors stopped but the buzzing noise still happened......so I manually stopped the fan and the noise stopped......wht could the problem be with the fan
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 28, 2013 2:42:04 PM

I'm not sure, when you say stopped the fan do you mean just turned it down? gpu fans usually get a whiney noise as they get louder anywhere above 50% so depending on the temperature and the fan speed/temp profile it could just be normal
Score
February 28, 2013 3:41:11 PM

kiezz said:
I'm not sure, when you say stopped the fan do you mean just turned it down? gpu fans usually get a whiney noise as they get louder anywhere above 50% so depending on the temperature and the fan speed/temp profile it could just be normal

Nope when I say stopped it I mean I put my finger on it to slow it down......... The reason I asked about the noise is because it just started as soon as I overclocked it and put it underload
Score
March 1, 2013 10:16:18 AM

kiezz said:

Ok well I updated the bios to 2702 and get the multiplier to x19 for 3.8 and raised the cpu frequency so it is now 3.85 and stable and I set the voltage to 1.45 but cpu-z still shows 1.55 but I'm not to worried about because I know in the bios it's right.......also the temps are stable at 30 - 32c.......so I'd like to say thanks for the help
Score
March 1, 2013 10:17:00 AM

Best answer selected by Slayer0099989.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2013 10:20:58 AM

cool no problem 3.85ghz is a decent overclock on a 1090t, I'm glad it worked out for you
Score
!