Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 Newly Installed on SSD Crashes During Boot

Last response: in Systems
April 8, 2010 6:35:21 AM

Here are all the components I believe are relevant to my problem:

ECS Geforce6100PM-M2 AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
ZOTAC ZT-98GES3P-FSR GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card
AMD Phenom 8650 Toliman 2.3GHz Socket AM2+ 95W Triple-Core Processor Model HD8650WCGHBOX
Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive

I just bought an Intel SSD and installed windows 7 on it. Everything seemed to be working out magnificently and I began installing all my programs. However, whilst playing a video game, my computer freezes and stays that way for a very long time. I finally turn off my machine and reboot it. However, when the 4 little dots assemble to make the windows logo in the W7 bootup, it gets stuck. It does this multiple times. I then figured that maybe my windows 7 install gone bad, because there is no way that new SSD could be faulty. So I tried to boot from a newly burned W7 DVD, but it would just freeze. Then I tried playing around in the BIOS, but I didn't know what the heck I was doing so I decided to boot it up for kicks before I threw my computer out the window. Surprisingly, it booted up successfully for some reason and I logged right in. But whatever I did, I didn't fix it. What could possibly be wrong? Was there some tweaking I was suppose to do before I installed W7 on the SSD? If it helps, a few minutes before it froze I installed the latest Nvidia driver. Thank you in advanced for helping!
April 8, 2010 1:33:07 PM

Everything was stable before the SSD upgrade, correct?
m
l
April 8, 2010 5:33:40 PM

Yes, everything was in perfect working order. My computer is currently working right now, but it still freezes occasionally, requiring me to shut my computer down and start it back up. And by the way, I checked and it does indeed have the latest Intel firmware.
m
l
Related resources
April 8, 2010 8:13:41 PM

What about motherboard BIOS? Do you have the newest version of that?
m
l
April 15, 2010 12:27:32 AM

I looked for any BIOS updates and I think I have the newest version, but I'm not sure. It's the stock version from when I bought it about a year ago, but I don't believe a newer version has come out.

I actually reinstalled W7 for kicks to see if that would do anything, but it ended up freezing again. So, I just sent it back for a replacement. We'll see if the errors repeat itself. Do you have any tips before I install my SSD again?
m
l
April 15, 2010 2:10:36 AM

No, I'm no expert on SSDs. At least with this we will be able to rule out the SSD as being defective.
m
l
May 25, 2010 7:18:58 PM

It's a driver conflict. I had the same problem - then uinstalled some of the drivers (fingerprint reader in my case) - and then it worked.
And as soon as I reinstalled the fingerprint reader the problem returned.
I later got it to work with an updated driver.
m
l
!