Sign in with
Your question

Loud Deskstar Seek Noise

Last response: in Storage
May 13, 2012 3:34:24 PM

Hello. A few months ago I built my first computer, and after some troubles with the memory, I got it sorted out. However, in a move I kind of regret, I reused my old HDT725025VLA380 Hitatchi Deskstar from my old computer to save costs.

Now, there is one thing that is bothering me on a personal level. The hard drive has a loud seek noise. When I'm running absolutely nothing on my computer it doesn't make a seek noise and its okay but if I'm doing pretty much anything else (like say browsing the internet) I hear a little noise every so often. Its not a click of death (although I THOUGHT I heard a click, used HD Tune Pro and found no issues so it must have been me.) and its kind of loud and just bothers me. Makes me afraid its gonna crap out at any moment, even if everything shows otherwise.

Is this normal because of its age? (its about 4 years old) I could buy a new hard drive but I want to build up some money first, plus its a hassle reinstalling windows and all that fun stuff again. Is there anything I should do or what would you guys suggest?
May 13, 2012 6:05:21 PM

I think it's the spindle speed that causes the noise. My 7200rpm Caviar Black drives are much, much louder than my 5900rpm Barracuda Greens. Faster spinning = actuator head has to move faster and more frequently to track down data.

How loud exactly is the noise? With my Caviars, they're only marginally louder than the Barracudas, but there's one that can be heard down the hall and almost in the next room... obviously that one's getting replaced soon.

I'd highly recommend a 60-64GB SSD (120-128GB if you're willing to spend a little more) to hold Windows and some frequently used programs and then save up for a new HDD or 2. With some 2TB drives right around $100, prices aren't too bad and trust me, once you boot from an SSD, you'll never go back.
m
l
May 14, 2012 3:17:06 AM

DirkAction said:
I think it's the spindle speed that causes the noise. My 7200rpm Caviar Black drives are much, much louder than my 5900rpm Barracuda Greens. Faster spinning = actuator head has to move faster and more frequently to track down data.

How loud exactly is the noise? With my Caviars, they're only marginally louder than the Barracudas, but there's one that can be heard down the hall and almost in the next room... obviously that one's getting replaced soon.

I'd highly recommend a 60-64GB SSD (120-128GB if you're willing to spend a little more) to hold Windows and some frequently used programs and then save up for a new HDD or 2. With some 2TB drives right around $100, prices aren't too bad and trust me, once you boot from an SSD, you'll never go back.

I can't really say how loud it is but if I play the TV loud enough or listen to music loud enough its not so bad. And like I say, nothing has been WRONG but the sound has been driving me crazy (I have anxiety issues so every time I hear it it makes me feel like its gonna crap out on me.)

A SSD does sound good but I'll have to save to get one. I still have to pay off the rest of the computer first before I do that. And even then I'd have to go through the hassle of transferring and everything.

If I got an SSD and installed windows and firefox and other things on there, would I no longer here that noise even while browsing if I kept my old hard drive for storage?

I should mention I have a 1 TB external storage but its more for back up only. I"m currently using a 250 GB hard drive which has been good enough for my needs.

Also its about a 4 year old hard drive so I don't know if that affects it. Last thing I want is to install a new hard drive and it be just as loud.
m
l
Related resources
May 14, 2012 8:05:33 AM

You could see if Hitachi has their own special program for determining the status of your drive, to check how it's doing with it's performance and lifespan. I know Seagate and WD have them, so I assume Hitachi does too.

Quote:
If I got an SSD and installed windows and firefox and other things on there, would I no longer here that noise even while browsing if I kept my old hard drive for storage?

Nope, you'll only hear that drive if you try to access it, like downloading something from Firefox to it. General browsing data; cache, cookies, etc., all go on your OS drive.

Quote:
Last thing I want is to install a new hard drive and it be just as loud.

If a new drive is, RMA it immediately. They should all be just about completely silent.
m
l
May 14, 2012 1:51:49 PM

Okay. So now I have to decide if I should just get a new 500 GB hard drive or a 120 SSD, and use my old hard drive (the loud one) as extra storage.

I would not know how to do the later, like choosing it to boot to the SSD instead of the hard drive for example.

And if I got the SSD drive and installed windows to it. Would I have to reinstall all the programs on my old hard drive or could they still work even if they aren't the one windows is booted on?
m
l
May 14, 2012 10:04:25 PM

Since you have the 1TB backup drive already, I'd say get an SSD, even just a 64GB model. Worst case if the Hitachi died, you could use the external as your secondary drive instead of for backups only.

Either way, it's quite easy to change the boot order of your drives. Hit F10 during a restart or whatever takes you into your computers BIOS, and from there it should be fairly easy to navigate to something like "Storage Options" and from there find "Boot Order". I wish I could be more clear here, but motherboard BIOS screens can vary greatly so exact instructions are hard to give, but it's easy, I promise :p 

Some programs will work without being technically installed on the OS drive, but many won't, that one's just a gamble. You could always try a hard drive cloning program, I know Norton Ghost comes with most Samsung SSDs (128GB+ for sure, maybe 64GB as well) but I've heard mixed reviews about it. There's also the Apricorn software (http://www.amazon.com/Apricorn-Notebook-Drive-Upgrade-A...) not an option if you get a standard 3.5" drive though.
m
l
!