Best Life Expectancy

deathrune

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Hi, I am going to be upgrading soon

I was wondering which would be more stable a 3tb or a 1tb hard drive.

I was going for the Seagate 3TB Barracuda. But I am not toalally sure how long this thing will last?

There is not much point in a 3tb drive if it could fail within 3/5 years.

Also, I am aware that the higher capacity the faster the drive usually is, this is right? Though is there faster 1tb drives?

No gaurentte on life expentency, Just pick one that has the LOWEST dissatifaction percentage at New egg.

On performance:
Yes larger drives have a higher performance in general. But NOT ALWAYS.
Performance is primarily based on RPMs, and the density of the magnetic domains, and what percentage of the drive is used. Last two relate to how much data can be stored in the outer edge of the platter where angular velocity is highest.

carnedude

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
To be honest its a gamble no matter what. I have had 5400 rpm drives fail after a month, my ssd failed after 6 months and that doesn't even have moving parts. I have had a Raid 0 with 2 seagate F3 1tb drives for almost 2 years though now and no issues. No one really knows. They do say that faster spinning drives and larger capacity drives fail more than slower, smaller ones though.

deathrune

Honorable
May 9, 2012
hmm ok thanks for the replies. What do you guys think i should buy, I am mostly going to have installed games, maybe the odd mmorpg, music, game installer backups. What size? I'm thinking 1tb I guess. But it's only £40 more for a 3tb?

As the old saying go, do Backups to a 2nd HDD, preferably a External drive.

If really looking for reliability, look at a 5400 RPM laptop HDD (2 1/2"). But they are more expensive. Get one and put in a enclouser and use as a Back-up

At work, I'm currently using 2 HDDs that are over 10 years old, Mind you at the time they were High end 2 Gig SCSI drive..

deathrune

Honorable
May 9, 2012
well what do i buy then ? I have about £150 to buy a new hard drive, what should i get? For a gamer who wants to have a lot of games installed, music and films

Goto newegg, HDDs and look at the reviews, Pick the most reliable one (lowest 1/2 egg ratings) in the size that you want.

My Preference for HDDs are the 1 TB WD Black (sata III (6) and the Samsung F3 Sata II.
There is NO diff between sata II HDDs and SATA III HDD.

deathrune

Honorable
May 9, 2012

Ah this is the kind of advice i wanted, i am uk but i will still use newegg for a guide.
Thanks.