Solved

Advice needed please!

Ok, here is my problem. I just purchased a new video card. Geforce 9800GT from ASUS. It requires at least a 400w Power Supply. I failed to check the one in my system before I bought it because I figured it was powerful enough. (Thats what I get for thinking, right? LOL) Anyways the system is about 2-3 years old. Here are the specs as I remember them though its been awhile.

Acer with 3800+ AMD Athlon 64
1GB RAM
160GB HDD
Geforce 9800GT
Onboard sound

I still havent figured out exactly what that power supply is. I believe by the jumble of crap written on it that it is a 250w. It says DC output is 250. I had an older computer just lying around and saw that it had a 450w power supply so I tried to swap them out. The 450w one doesnt have the right connectors on it because its so old. I have no idea what type of power supply i need to purchase. I have looked at a few places online and saw some that said AMD athlon 64 ready with PCI-e and such in the description. I have PCIe btw. thats what my new card is. How do I know that Ive selected the right power supply for my mother board??
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about advice needed please
  1. One more thing. The reasone the 450w power supply wont work is because of the 20 pin connector. the power supply that came in the system had a 20pin with a smaller 4 pin that fit in beside the larder one. The older 450 didnt have connectors like that. It lacked the 4 pin companion plug. Hope this helps describe the situation better
  2. This will work for you. It is a very high quality unit and is on sale for an amazing price right now. It will have all the connectors you need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008
  3. Thank you for the very quick reply! I love this site just for that reason and that there is always someone out there with the answers to almost any question. :bounce:
    I looked at the pictures of the connectors on that one and you are right. The connectors looked like the ones I have now. Only thing is the price. While that really isnt a large price to pay for the product, my money is very limited right now and Im looking for something to just get by with for the time being. i plan on doing a complete build in a few months as things should ease up money-wise for me some. I think Ive figured out how to look for what I need but let me run this by you.... Does it matter when it come to whether or not the PSU is ATX and AMD or Intel? I just want to make sure I know how to order when I find something I can better afford and they confuse me with all the techy stuff in the descriptions. Here is an example. Will this PSU work on my system? http://www.gearxs.com/gearxs/product_info.php?products_id=10177
  4. Best answer
    Yes but only from a connector standpoint....and in good conscience I can NOT recommend that thing. Generally the PSU is not something you want to go cheap on. I know that the Corsair is $29.99 after rebate but that is cheaper than I have ever seen a good quality unit. That "supposed" 480w PowMax actually puts out much less power than the 400w Corsair unit.

I have been looking for a while now and really do not see anything that cheap that I feel good recommending. I am pretty sure that 9800GT needs way more than the 17 amps 12v rail on the PowMax. I believe you need a minimum of 22 amps.

In choosing a PSU amps are WAY more important than volts. Graphics power comes from the 12v rail/rails. The 400w Corsair has a 30a 12v rail. The "480"w PowMax has a 17a 12v rail.

I will look some more but honestly I doubt there is anything cheaper with enough amps for a 9800GT than the Corsair unit.
  5. Ahhh. i see what your talking about. I may just have to wait a week or so and break open the piggy bank. LOL. I was really hoping that wouldnt be neccasary but I DO want that new card to pump out all the graphics I paid for even though I know Im way behind the times right now. im just trying to get something going as I am growing very tired of playing my games on consoles. LMAO. Na i love the consoles but all of my flight sims are on the computer and my wife took over the other computer. hehe. I really really appreciate the help. Thank you again.
  6. Best answer selected by SammyBusby.
  7. No problem man. If you can swing it the deal on that Corsair is about too good to be true and I do not know when it might expire. That PSU is usually in the $50-$60 range and you are going to have to have something very close to it to run that 9800GT.
    Quality brands to look for ( 400w would really be 400w) would be Corsair, Antec, PC Power and Cooling and Seasonic. And prices would be generally in the ~$50 and up range. $29.99 is almost too good to be true.
  8. Yeah, grab that deal while you can, because it won't last (although there may be another); I'm still grinning like a Cheshire cat over the 550W Truepower New I picked last week for $40 after MIR.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Geforce Components Product