How do I connect an old pc to replace my monitor?

Nikki Newbie

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
My monitor stopped working (doesn't get power, although it's plugged in and cable is fine.) I'm trying to connect an old laptop to the CPU. What cable do I use and how does it connect?

Thanks.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have never seen any laptop that allows you to use its display only by connecting it to another computer that actually generates the video signal. I doubt it can be done easily. The closest approach I can think of requires that both computers be running. Then you need some sort of video signal input on the laptop that matches an output from the desktop's video card. For example, if you can generate an analog NTSC Composite Video signal (like the Video Line Out signal from a VCR) on the desktop and put that into a NTSC Composite Video input (capture) port on the laptop and then run the capture software, you might get to see what you want at limited resolution. But I really doubt that it what you want to do.

I don't think that you can use your laptop as a monitor, the VGA monitor is output only, and you could only connect your laptop to a monitor.

As for the cable you would use, you would use a VGA male to male cable, IIRC.