Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Purchasing NAS for Home Media - Advice needed

Last response: in Storage
Share
May 13, 2012 6:36:11 PM

Hi folks!!,

Im interested in buying a network attached storage device for my home entertainment needs. Currently i operate off a 1TB external HDD. However the HDD is failing *see bottom* and instead of buying another id like to move to a network attached storage solution.

so i have come to this wonderful site to ask the experts what i should buy.

Needs:
I need scalability for future proofing
raid is a must (4disk setup)
automated downloading? can some NAS devices run a utorrent client or something similar???...

budget, ~600$, I will pay for quality so don't hold anything back solely based on price.

I use a DIR-825 dual band router
main streaming from the NAS will be to my PS3, connected via Ethernet cable to the Router.

THANKS for helping~~~!!
:bounce:  :bounce: 


external HDD thread:
[http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...]

More about : purchasing nas home media advice needed

a c 326 G Storage
May 13, 2012 8:05:31 PM

It depends on your budget, but the real nice stuff for a home media server would run from ReadyNAS to Drobo or QNAP (http://www.qnap.com/useng/index.php?lang=en-us&sn=862&c...) boxes with 4-6 good quality consumer level 7200 rpm drives. You can also build an NAS box yourself if you have the time and inclination.

edit: and yes almost all decent NAS boxes with do other things like bittorent.
m
0
l
May 13, 2012 8:10:59 PM

RealBeast said:
It depends on your budget, but the real nice stuff for a home media server would run from ReadyNAS to Drobo or QNAP (http://www.qnap.com/useng/index.php?lang=en-us&sn=862&c...) boxes with 4-6 good quality consumer level 7200 rpm drives. You can also build an NAS box yourself if you have the time and inclination.

edit: and yes almost all decent NAS boxes with do other things like bittorent.


ive herd good things about Synology, any thoughts about them?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 326 G Storage
May 13, 2012 8:13:34 PM

Oh, yeah they are also very good, should have added to the better quality end like drobo and qnap.
m
0
l
May 13, 2012 8:18:44 PM

RealBeast said:
Oh, yeah they are also very good, should have added to the better quality end like drobo and qnap.


BeyondRaid[r] is very very interesting, does anyone have a Drobo equipped with this?

edit:http://www.drobo.com/how-it-works/beyond-raid.php

thanks for response RealBeast!
:bounce: 
m
0
l
May 18, 2012 7:15:17 PM

Recently, I got a Synology 212j NAS. It's a nice system, however, it has some issues with Windows 7 64 bit systems as far as networking goes. I don't know if it has to with this particular model or the Synology DSM software. Most people don't seem to have many problems with Synology products, but when you do, it can be frustrating.
m
0
l
a c 78 G Storage
May 18, 2012 8:46:00 PM

jeremy11108 said:
Hi folks!!,

Im interested in buying a network attached storage device for my home entertainment needs. Currently i operate off a 1TB external HDD. However the HDD is failing *see bottom* and instead of buying another id like to move to a network attached storage solution.

so i have come to this wonderful site to ask the experts what i should buy.

Needs:
I need scalability for future proofing
raid is a must (4disk setup)
automated downloading? can some NAS devices run a utorrent client or something similar???...

budget, ~600$, I will pay for quality so don't hold anything back solely based on price.

I use a DIR-825 dual band router
main streaming from the NAS will be to my PS3, connected via Ethernet cable to the Router.

THANKS for helping~~~!!
:bounce:  :bounce: 


external HDD thread:
[http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...]


eBOX-N is what you need...

- Expandable up to thirty drives
- 100% hardware raid
- Upgrade-able OS
- 5x drives support 2TB,3TB and 4TB drives
- support RAID5, RAID5+HS
- Bittorrent <-- i like this lot, I do not worry about Virus and Malware because this run FreeBSD core
- iTune Server
- Lower power consumption
- Tranfer rate 65~85MB/s - Stream BD.ISO w/o problem

Order in AMAZON no tax and low shipping cost
http://www.amazon.com/Five-Home-Server-RAID5-iSCSI/dp/B...
m
0
l
!