Sign in with
Your question

Computer constanty restarting

Last response: in Components
June 18, 2010 6:39:03 AM

Hello,
my compter is constantly restarting when i click he on button it flashed the hdd light 3 times and the power button goes green then the power goes blank and then back on then hdd light reapeat another 3 times, i use a asus m2n68 motherboard, asus eah 4850 graphics card, cooler master extreme powerplus 500watt psu and thats all the main components, could it be short curciting couse it has done it several time and i just bang the side of the computer and it stops doing this but ths time nothing i know i shouldent be banging the side =P
June 18, 2010 7:03:39 AM

Open the side of your PC case after you disconnected the power and unplug and plug again all the cables in the PC, also the RAM and graphics card. If nothing changes and you have Integrated graphics try to remove the 4850 and connect the monitor to the MoBo connector to see if the source of the problem is the GPU.
June 18, 2010 6:31:32 PM

yeah it sounds like a connection problem. smacking the case temporarily sets the connection right for it to run. then it falls off again. do what FunSurfer says.
Related resources
June 20, 2010 8:44:25 AM

FunSurfer said:
Open the side of your PC case after you disconnected the power and unplug and plug again all the cables in the PC, also the RAM and graphics card. If nothing changes and you have Integrated graphics try to remove the 4850 and connect the monitor to the MoBo connector to see if the source of the problem is the GPU.

yeah the asus m2n68 dosent have intergrated graphics and i just pulled everything out and scanned it over and plugged it back in, would you have any more sugestions? if you do i would be thankfull for you to share

oh yes and it happens when i unplug the power so i used to have to leave the power on even through storms otherwise it would do it when i connected the power again
June 20, 2010 12:17:45 PM

Yesterday, I had the same situation after a power outage. My ssd failed; the motherboard couldn't locate it, so it kept rebooting, and I had to replace the ssd with a sata drive.
June 21, 2010 6:09:29 AM

Try to replace the lithium battery on the motherboard.
June 22, 2010 12:23:17 AM

FunSurfer said:
Try to replace the lithium battery on the motherboard.

hey i tried that it didnt work its doing the same thing =/
do you think maybe one of the circits is gone and its short circiting?
June 23, 2010 5:56:48 AM

Yes, there is a problem with one of your PC componenets, what you can still do is to remove your GPU and turn on the PC without the GPU and see if the restarts keep happening, you can also try to remove RAM sticks and leave only one every time in a different slot to check if you have bad RAM stick. If there is still no change with your problem your CPU's cooler may got loose and your CPU is overheating or there is a major problem with your motherboard.
!