Evolving an extreme gaming rig

evolvedpc

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Hi all,

I'm about to start building an extreme gaming rig. I'll be starting off fairly modestly, but within 6 months I plan to get it to a level where it will play any game that catches my interest at max detail and resolution.

For those interested, I'll be blogging my progress, including plans, build notes, parts lists and benchmarks at http://evolvedpc.blogspot.com/. (Any comments/feedback gratefully received.)

Meanwhile, I live in the UK, but haven't bought high-end computer parts there before. Can anyone suggest a good online retailer? I'd kind of like to get a decent price, but I'd be willing to settle for somewhere that just has stock for many components. Prompt handling of orders and secure packaging of parts would be good, too.

TIA

evolvedpc

evolvedpc

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Thanks r_manic. It looks like scan.co.uk seems to be the e-tailer of choice in the UK at the moment.

Meanwhile, I've had a wee rethink in light of the upcoming dual-CPU overclockers mobo from EVGA, along with SATA 6Gb, USB3.0 and 2xNF200 chipsets for plenty of additional PCIe lanes. Full discussion of that here.

I'm now looking at putting together a phase 1 rig the looks like this:

mobo: ASUS Rampage II GENE
CPU: Core i7-930
GPU: GeForce GTX 480
PSU: Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W
SSD: Intel 160GB X25-M G2
RAM: 6GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600
CASE: Lian-Li PC-P80 ArmourSuit

Plus a blu-ray writer of some kind.

This is to fit into an overall phase build plan detailed here.

Any comments/suggestions on this rig, the build plan, or the thinking that has gone into it would be appreciated. :)

evolvedpc

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010

That is, most definitely, the plan. Phase 3 of my build roadmap should see me with 3 monitors. I'll be achieving it via nVidia 3D Vision Surround. The idea of getting 5000x3000 resolution for less than the price of a single 2500x1600 30" screen has a strong appeal!

I have a slight concern that nVidia won't have its drivers ready, or that they'll be buggy, but I probably won't reach that point until 3 months after their due date, anyway.

evolvedpc

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010

That is always the temptation. There is always going to be a new release of something around the corner. I usually try not to worry about that too much - or I would never buy anything at all! This time, with the dual processor option being so attractive, along with Sata III and USB 3.0, I'm giving it a nod by buying a middle-of-the road mobo in the meanwhile.

I also have the idea in the back of my that I can use the mobo in an HTPC when I'm done. (Think of an HTPC that can be controlled from any wifi-enabled device with a web browser. Guests can change the channel, queue up songs, check the TV guide, even stream another channel to their phone.)

It looks like it might all become obsolescent soon anyway. This (completely unsubstantiated) post suggests that socket 1366 may be on it's way out. What can you do?

TRENDING THREADS