Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Boot XP from USB Flash Drive

Last response: in Windows XP
December 21, 2012 1:31:18 PM

So, I've been trying to install my windows xp iso (Or extracted files) via a bootable flash drive. I've tried a few tools, but I haven't had any luck. Can anyone recommend a good tool for this?

More about : boot usb flash drive

April 6, 2013 12:35:19 PM

shadowfire452 said:
So, I've been trying to install my windows xp iso (Or extracted files) via a bootable flash drive. I've tried a few tools, but I haven't had any luck. Can anyone recommend a good tool for this?

The booting is not the problem - because MS designed not to work from usb - when you manage to boot you get a BSOD 57B which stops everything
there. Under windows XP or Vista or XP who would want to have an XP working over their normal OS. To install Win XP on a usb you need 1.4-1.5G for XP, so you'll need 2G minimum USB flash (and you'll have 600M free disk space. for a 4G flash, 2600 free space and so on... It depends what you want to use it for ?. So you can install a USB from windows with a tool like SUN Virtual disk. Once installed when you boot it simply you'll end up with the BSOD mentioned above. But if you boot from Linux with Virtual disk every thing works !. It seems complex, but it is not, if you know Linux good - its an hour job, otherwise it might take you three months to fix all of it.
if you want to contact me, I'm at salimhus@yahoo.co.uk
Score
!