Sign in with
Your question

3gb/s & 6gb/s drive in raid0

Last response: in Storage
May 13, 2012 11:08:35 PM

hi guyz, just wanted to know if there would be any complications when using a 3 Gb/s Seagate Baracuda & 6 Gb/s WD caviar Blue drive in RAID 0 config. I have a X79A-GD65(8D) with intel i7 3820 & 16Gb Corsair Vengiance DDR3 1600. How would this config affect performance? both drives are connected to the 6Gb/s intel controlled ports.

BTW, had such a battle to finally get the board to detect the 6 intel SATA ports...took flashing back & forth several times and reinstalling several drivers before I could get the 2 X intel 6GB/s ports to detect the drives & be able to set up the raid array...

what a shlep! Thanks Intel :p 

Anywho, please let me know if the raid setup would be fine or potentially dangerous XD

Thanks

More about : 3gb 6gb drive raid0

a b å Intel
a c 504 G Storage
May 13, 2012 11:28:06 PM

For maximum performance the drives in a RAID array should be identical.

The performance of a RAID-0 array is based upon the drive with the slowest Read/Write speeds.
So your RAID-0 performance will be based upon the Read/Write speeds of your WD Caviar Blue.

The total capacity of a RAID-0 array is based upon the drive with the smallest capacity.
So if you RAID-0 a 250MB drive and a 1TB drive the total capacity of the array will be 500MB (250 x 2).
May 13, 2012 11:32:16 PM

cool, i'm aware of that :D . Both drives are 500 GB , just the read/write speed that varies... they are connected to SATA ports 1 & 2 (6Gb/s ports) so in other words, they will only perform at 3 Gb/s right? But there shouldn't be any other isseus?

Thanks for taking the time ;) 
a b å Intel
a c 504 G Storage
May 13, 2012 11:41:40 PM

No, you shouldn't have any other issues.
!