Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II X6 3.2Ghz Temperature Way too High?

Last response: in CPUs
June 18, 2010 12:24:29 PM

I built a computer yesterday, its specs are:

CoolerMaster HAF 922 Case
ASRock 890FX Mobo
EVGA 470GTX
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2Ghz
G.Skill Ripjaw 1333 8GB RAM
...the rest doesn't matter.

All my cooling is stock, and the arctic silver comes pre-applied with the 1090T, my ambient temperature is ~24C but once I turn on my computer I watch the temperature and it noticeably keeps going up, eventually hitting about ~40C under idle. Then I started to just load up my files onto my computer, just dabbled around in a couple movies to check the system out. I then rebooted the system to see what the temperature was, 51C. This can't be normal. All my fans are running fine and at full speed, but I did have trouble putting in the heatsink yesterday that came stock with the processor, and there is "locking" arm, but at the moment it is not locked but the heatsink bearily moves when I try to, I am afraid of breaking the arm if I lock it the other way. Any ideas as to why these temps are so high?
a c 133 à CPUs
June 18, 2010 12:38:50 PM

Ok 3 questions

1. What is the ambient temperatures?
2. Have you tried a stability program like Prime 95 or Intel burn in test to see what the temps go to on full load?
3. Are you sure the heatsink is firmly mounted and making good contact with the CPU?
m
l
June 18, 2010 12:40:36 PM

1. Ambient is about 24C, or at least it was this morning, maybe 30C at max.
2. Have not tried Prime 95 yet, almost due to fear for my processor.
3. The heatsink was tough to get on, and was moved around a lot when trying to place it on, but it was never taken off the CPU. Currently, the heatsink is hooked on and if I try to actually move it around, it moves 1mm or 2. I can feel the Arctic Silver moving against the CPU below it.
m
l
Related resources
a c 133 à CPUs
June 18, 2010 1:32:19 PM

Well I would like to see what Prime gets it up to. I would run it for a few minutes and just keep an eye on your temps if it goes above 70 stop it. You might want to try reappling your thermal paste and also check the Vcore voltage it might be set too high.
m
l
June 22, 2010 6:55:58 PM

Did you ever get your temperature down ? I have the same exact processor as you.; was just wondering if you were able to get it down because I suffer from the same exact thing. I am not sure if it's area wise for me or inadequate cooling.
m
l
June 22, 2010 7:06:33 PM

What cooler are you using? My friend uses the stock cooler and at stock speeds his idle is like 40C.
m
l
June 22, 2010 7:26:30 PM

Its probably the stock cooler and thermal paste, get like a cooler master V8 cooler and some new Arctic Silver thermal paste and it should be better. Another tip is when your pc gets dusty blow it out with a leaf blower (lol) and it will run cooler, when I do that it makes a 8 degree difference on my ati radeon 4890 with stock cooling.
m
l
June 25, 2010 9:34:01 PM

What are some recommended AM3 X6 1090T coolers ? I've seem some Zalman's and Coolmaster's; however, some of them look to big to fit inside of the case due to the case fans. I would say they were at least 8 inches in height. I seen that CM V6 at Fry's and it did look a very bad design.
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 23, 2010 9:19:26 AM

I had the exact same problem [only a little bit hotter :??:  ], what i did was get a AKASA AK-968, and check replaced the thermal compound with some arctic silver [Some random stuff off Amazon] and last night it was runing at about 30C...

Cost around £30 in total, but well worth it if you dont want to burn out your processor.
m
l
a c 112 à CPUs
August 23, 2010 2:04:59 PM

Wendel22 said:

Currently, the heatsink is hooked on and if I try to actually move it around, it moves 1mm or 2. I can feel the Arctic Silver moving against the CPU below it.

Wendel22 said:

I did have trouble putting in the heatsink yesterday that came stock with the processor, and there is "locking" arm, but at the moment it is not locked but the heatsink bearily moves when I try to, I am afraid of breaking the arm if I lock it the other way.

Any ideas as to why these temps are so high?

Probably because your HSF assembly is not locked down.

It should not "move around" --- the AMD latching system is top-notch.

How much TIM did you use ?
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2011 10:01:09 PM

saaiello said:
Well I would like to see what Prime gets it up to. I would run it for a few minutes and just keep an eye on your temps if it goes above 70 stop it. You might want to try reappling your thermal paste and also check the Vcore voltage it might be set too high.

Erm the max temp is 62 degrees. so prime95 until 70 is a bad idea!
m
l
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
April 5, 2011 10:36:54 PM

Zalman cnpsx10 on 1055t @3.8Ghz gives me 50 celcius on load 20c ambient,

24/30 ambient is warm for room, add 10c for idle =36-40 idle and add 20/5c load = 56-65c load.

That is on stock cooling mind you

Look at www.frostytech.com great for CPU coolers, check top five lists!, My CNPSX10 was number 3 when i bought it, its down to 7 for amd systems now lol!
m
l
August 13, 2012 9:00:19 PM

sabot00 said:
What cooler are you using? My friend uses the stock cooler and at stock speeds his idle is like 40C.

I'm running my Phenom II X6 at 2.7 GHz and it never gets above 35 C using stock cooler in an non-air conditioned house in the Summer (75-80 Fahrenheit ambient room temp.).
m
l
a c 146 à CPUs
August 13, 2012 10:25:55 PM

you posted in a 2yr old thread? Shame on you.
m
l
!