Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is overclocking worth it?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 27, 2013 12:07:43 AM

When I built my PC around May-July last year I built it so I could overclock if I wanted to down the road. Games don't really push it to hard, especially if I turn some settings down. The reason I built it with Oc'ing in mind is that when it got older I might be able to get 6 months to a year extra out of it till new hardware arrived, but you need custom coolers really so after spending out for that is it really worth it?

Pros and Cons please :lol:  my specs are

CPU: i5 3570k on standard cooler

RAM: 8GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2GB (This will be oc'ed first if anything)

More about : overclocking worth

February 27, 2013 12:10:46 AM

Forgot to add the Mobo, it is a GA-Z77-D3H more than capable of getting 4.5GHZ if the chip is decent.
m
0
l
February 27, 2013 12:26:03 AM

The custom cooler is a must; The stock cooler is a joke.
m
0
l
Related resources
February 27, 2013 12:29:34 AM

shellls45 said:
The custom cooler is a must; The stock cooler is a joke.


Exactly, which makes overclocking cost money, so in a way might as well not bother, for me the standard cooler does the job decently before an overclock.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 1:07:56 AM

Depends - watch your cpu usage during your gaming sessions. If it pops up to 100% and stays there it's a bottleneck (likely very small but it's there). A $30 cooler can clear the bottleneck.

For example, takes me 4.1 to get bf3 multiplayer down under 100%.

In my case, a 19% added cost gets me at least a 29% speed increase (4.4) as it becomes necessary as time rolls on and it gets less effective where i have it.
m
0
l
February 27, 2013 4:30:19 AM

J_E_D_70 said:
Depends - watch your cpu usage during your gaming sessions. If it pops up to 100% and stays there it's a bottleneck (likely very small but it's there). A $30 cooler can clear the bottleneck.

For example, takes me 4.1 to get bf3 multiplayer down under 100%.

In my case, a 19% added cost gets me at least a 29% speed increase (4.4) as it becomes necessary as time rolls on and it gets less effective where i have it.


Decent answer, thinking of crossfiring my 7850 so might need it, like the look of the Noctua NH-D14.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 4:53:06 AM

I got my H60 for $35 and the 212 EVO is usually even cheaper at about $30
The Noctua NH-D14 is only about 6c cooler than the 212 EVO for almost triple the price

I too find 4.1ghz to be about optimal

I am thinking of CFX my 7850 too :) 
m
0
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 4:56:36 AM

You don't need to OC the 3570K to run CF 7850. Drop your money on your GPU's before you worry about cooling.

Possibly around 2 years from now is when you really have to OC for the next gen cards.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 5:01:50 AM

^ It depends on the games you're playing though
m
0
l
a c 150 K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 5:04:19 AM

stickmansam said:
^ It depends on the games you're playing though

Not really, getting a better GPU will be a better choice then overclocking your CPU in terms of performance.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 5:08:25 AM

amuffin said:
Not really, getting a better GPU will be a better choice then overclocking your CPU in terms of performance.


World of tanks is a stupidly CPU limited game that runs as fast on a 1 core as on 4 and it took an OC to get reach 60fps without changing any graphics settings

Generally though I would agree the GPU is the limiting factor and spending more on that is wise
m
0
l
!