Sign in with
Your question

Help! Suddenly I am hearing a crackling sound

Last response: in Components
June 18, 2010 1:33:05 PM

I recently upgraded my computer and moved all the components to a new case and later switched to windows 7.

While I was on my old system with vista and even after I upgraded some parts, but before I switched to win 7, I had no issues with my sound.

Then I upgraded to win 7 (clean install). I downloaded the latest realtek drivers for my on-board sound (Gigabyte G31M ES2L Mobo) and I noticed that some of my purchased I tunes music made a crackling sound that was previously not there. Since I thought the problem was only with iTunes purchased music (I don't have this problem with music imported from discs) I looked for a solution regarding itunes and found that there were some issues with purchased music and a crackling sound on itunes 9.

But now I am hearing this crackling sound on skype and sometimes when I watch online videos from you tube and the like. I do not hear this sound during gaming or while watching DVDs which is weird.

I don't think the problem is my speakers because I am not hearing the crackling sound all the time with every application as I have stated above

My specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte G31M ES2L
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4
GPU: Gigabyte ATi Radeon HD 5770
Ram: 4 GB DDR2 800
PSU: Seasonic M12II 620 W
Case: Cooler Master 335 Elite
Speakers: Creative SBS 2.1 350

Please help me.

Thanks.
June 18, 2010 2:16:21 PM

I think you should go to control panel > sound > check properties of your default device and test which khz/hz are acceptable for your system. Sometimes having the wrong setting will produce distortions and hisses and crackling and whatnot. You can pick a setting nd then hit test, usually you'll hear a clear chime if its acceptable.

Since you upgraded your operating system it reverted back to original settings in sound most likely
m
l
June 18, 2010 3:39:26 PM

Blckhaze said:
I think you should go to control panel > sound > check properties of your default device and test which khz/hz are acceptable for your system. Sometimes having the wrong setting will produce distortions and hisses and crackling and whatnot. You can pick a setting nd then hit test, usually you'll hear a clear chime if its acceptable.

Since you upgraded your operating system it reverted back to original settings in sound most likely

Tried it just now and it didn't work :( 

So I went back to the default: 24 bits 48000 hz (studio quality).

Any more suggestions?
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2010 10:03:22 PM

I'm sure someone will have a better idea but, did you consider uninstalling any itunes software and then a reinstall of same ?
m
l
June 19, 2010 11:38:06 PM

roonj said:
I'm sure someone will have a better idea but, did you consider uninstalling any itunes software and then a reinstall of same ?

I tried that before... and I just installed the new version...still didn't help. I hope someone comes up with a better idea.

Thanks
m
l
June 23, 2010 7:22:28 AM

bump
m
l
February 12, 2012 1:46:27 PM

I had a similar issue and found a solution that works for me and hope it works for you !!

Open task manager. Go to Processes tab. Right click on the process that is producting sound ( media player, plugin container for firefox etc ) and choose "Set affinity". Select only one processor from the list of processors available and select ok.

** AUDIO BECOMES NORMAL MAGICALLY **

I am not sure whether is is a hardware issue or OS issue. Someone needs to find out and get whoever is responsbile to fix this.

Such a big pain ..

Hope this helps ..
m
l
!