Trying to migrate Win7 to Intel 320 SSD...Issues!

lomboy13

Honorable
May 13, 2012
My 2TB HDD is my local (c:) hard drive. I recently installed an intel 320 120gb SSD as a data drive (d:) (dont ask why, I don't know why I did this). I am looking to merge Win7 on to the SSD so I bought Paragon SSD Migration software. I ran the program and checked only the things I wanted on the SSD (programs, games) and left the rest on the HDD. When it finished, it told me to reboot and change the boot drive sequence to have the SSD boot first, so I rebooted.

I am using a Z68 ASRock Fatal1ty mobo and it did not show up in the boot menu. There was only my HDD and my CD drive. I booted through my HDD to also find that my SSD was no longer listed as a data drive (d:) - it disappeared totally from the drives menu.

Please help! I would really like to have Win7 on my SSD!

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Shut down your PC. Unplug the power cable. Unplug your SSD completely. Hold down your power button for about 30 seconds.

With that you are flushing the power out.

Reconnect everything and check your BIOS again.

What I would recommend is to make an image of your hard drive.

cell55

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
if what the above poster said didnt work.. ill tell you where you went wrong.. i had this same problem 2 months ago.. just use the built in easy transfer tool that comes with windows7.. it will copy all of your stuff over if space allows which it probably wont.. but it still will work because you can pretty much customize the things you want to migrate.. you could just migrate all system files and use the other hard drives for storage / games.. since everything will still be intact.. try it out it worked for me

cell55

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
if what the above poster said didnt work.. ill tell you where you went wrong.. i had this same problem 2 months ago.. just use the built in easy transfer tool that comes with windows7.. it will copy all of your stuff over if space allows which it probably wont.. but it still will work because you can pretty much customize the things you want to migrate.. you could just migrate all system files and use the other hard drives for storage / games.. since everything will still be intact.. try it out it worked for me

Not going to like what I have to say.
Lot of work, but probably worth it in the long run.
First When you installed windows on the HDD, what was the BIOS set to? Please say Ahci and NOT ide. This can be changed so not a big issue, just google change ide to ahci in windows 7.
While some seem to have little problems migrating from HDD -> SSD, you will find the majority recommend a CLEAN Install:
1) Migration will not enable trim, but can do manually
2) Partition probably will NOT be aligned on the 4K boundries, windows does this when partitioning the drive during installation.
3) Most likely you will not have the 100 mb system Partition on the SSD, again windows does this during installation.
4) Just a bonus - Clean instal is the BEST registy clean out there.

If You opt to do this (I know its a pain in the butt), two things.
1) DISCONNECT all other HDDs during the install. Only the SSD should be connected.
2) verify, or set the BIOS controller to AHCI (Note after installation and IF on a Intel SATA port make sure you down load the lates Intel RST drive).
3) after installation, then connect your HDD back up and make sure Boot order points to the SSD.
... NOTE: You should use CUSTOM install and on page showing the SSD, select advance and delete ANY and ALL partitions, then select the "unpartitioned" SSD to install to.

PS: You should be able to dual boot the SSD and the HDD. On my Gigabyte MB, I just hit F12 during post and F11 on my Asrock MB. After post it brings up a Boot menu and you can select which to boot to. Which ever drive you boot to will be "C" drive. And this does not change Bios Boot priortiy.

You should absolutely not clone a harddrive to an SSD. Windows will NOT be set up right for an SSD if you do so.

Shut down and unplug the PSU and harddrive. holding the power button does nothing, you need to clear the BIOS. Once you get the SSD showing up in the BIOS make sure it is set to AHCI and flash it to the latest firmware and do a clean install of windows