Creating a self overwriting partition/folder.

bubblez

Honorable
May 13, 2012
How would one make a partition or folder of some sort that overwrites old files after it fills? For example, I am recording game play and the folder/partition reaches its capacity. Normally it would say no available disk space, instead i would like it to delete the oldest file and keep recording. Thanks in advance!

Solution
I'm not aware of a way to do this automatically when a drive gets full.

You could have a cleanup run that removed the oldest files once a day or so, but that's about as close to what you are asking that I can think of.

There are lots of ways to do that, but a quick google search pulled up this link.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/51054/batch-file-to-delete-files-older-than-n-days

If you get that setup the way you want it, just add it to task scheduler at the intervals you want it to run and that should do it.

tomatthe

Distinguished
I'm not aware of a way to do this automatically when a drive gets full.

You could have a cleanup run that removed the oldest files once a day or so, but that's about as close to what you are asking that I can think of.

There are lots of ways to do that, but a quick google search pulled up this link.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/51054/batch-file-to-delete-files-older-than-n-days

If you get that setup the way you want it, just add it to task scheduler at the intervals you want it to run and that should do it.

Solution

MajinCry

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2011
Just delete the files when you no longer need them. May take longer than usual, but will save you a head-ache if you forget to upload a video to youtube and the drive wipes the video file off.

bubblez

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Thanks for the reply. I never thought of using batch scripts, those things are infinitely handy. Also, i just used fraps as an example. If i can get the thing working it will probably be for my download folder, its gets cluttered fast.