pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Power+Supplies/650W+or+less/550W+Arianet+Black+Series+Silent+ATX2.2+Power+Supply+?operation=shoppingCartAdd&productId=35767&context=

This is one my friend found and he is going to use but i want to make sure he chooses it properly. Im also wondering about it.

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
hmm well atleast specify why

i just asked him, i think its like

intel core 2 quad 2.66 ghz
nvida geforce 460GTS 1gb
4GB of ram i think

uhg thas all i know.

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
Im not trying to be rude but its fustrating because i ask why, but there is no answer.

Give me the reason why it is bad. I need a reason. Its like saying, look at this huge statue i made, out of cement, and some dude comes up and says why and walks off. He doesnt say why, just says what.

Why?

Well first off gpu's require specific connections and power requirements.
GTX series cards require two 6pin pcie connectors.
The Corsair CX500 provides them.
The unit you linked does not.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
you gotta get the super expensive £49.99 one if you want something (nice big red fan) instead of the boring black one your getting.

Well then the unit you linked will work because a GTS only requires one pcie connection.
But as beanoslim pointed out use at your own peril.
I agree with him 100% that is why we've posted known reliable brand names.
Quality brand name psu's actually rate their wattage as continuous.
I see no mention of this in the description which leads me to believe it's peak wattage.
By all means buy what you want but keep in mind a psu is not a good place to skimp when building a rig.
Considering the fact that when a not so great psu goes/dies it usually takes your other gear with it.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
dude, but why the expensive price tag, whats wrong with aria brand names and brand names like it. the guys probably on a budget.

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

but once again you, (no rudeness), you fail to explain the techincalities of why. You simply leave me at words "peril"

I will use another metaphor. I am building a statue. I use Plaster to create it. I have no idea that it is bad. Some guy comes up and says its bad. I ask why. He then says, use it at your own peril.

Please please answer why?

Most no-name PSUs are rated at Peak out put, not continuous, so that 550 watt psu might only supply 400-450.
Also, the specs show 2 12v rails, but do NOT specify how much current that can be delivered. You can't just add up the amps on each rail. And any PSU with a 1 year warranty shows how confident the maker is about his product. Most good PSUs have a 3-5 year warranty, some even 7.

So, you can get a cheap, no-name PSU that might take out all your other components when (not if) it dies, or get a good one(Seasonic, Corsair, Antec Earthwatts, PCP&C, some XFX) that won't let you down! :D

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

THANK YOU VERY MUCH, FIRST GUY ON THIS FORUM THAT DOESNT TALK IN RIDDLES, THANK YOU!

pkhamidar2com

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011

THANK YOU, SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY ANSWERED MY QUESTION!!!!

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
so if pkhamidar2com's friend were to buy this stuff, would it still work, since he has a core 2 dou and GeForce GTS 450 (minimum recommended by nvidia 400W) would it still work if the PSU was outputting 400-450w?