Updating the firmware of an OCZ SDD

imapaladin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
EDIT: I haven't bought it yet, so i'm open to suggestions if you think I should buy a different SDD.

Hello, with my new build I'm planning to get a SDD for the first time.

I'm thinking of getting the new Vertex 4, but the problem is that updating its firmware seem to be more complicated than

other SSDs such as crucial; unless I'm mistaken?

For example, Crucial M4's firmware update seems to be fairly simple: install the OS and then just run the update utility.

(there's the option of using a different installer with USB but no reason to choose that when the previous method is simpler... is there? Unless of course, there's some technical problems)

However, for OCZ SSDs firmware update toolbox requires the OS to not run from the SSD. Even worse, the firmware update

for Vertex 4 is a destructive flash and I'm understanding that means it erases everything.

Am I misunderstanding the complicatedness of this? Does the USB/CD method work for OCZ firmware update if I choose

them as bootdrives?

Also, as I said I'm building a new computer, and if the USB/CD method indeed does work, can I stick it in the my newly built

computer before installing anything(including OS) and be able to run the firmware update toolbox?

Or can I connect the SSD to my laptop using some kind of cable, update the firmware there, and stick it in my computer and

then proceed to install my freash Windows? If so, then what cable do I need?

I read some people recommending mirroring the OS onto another HDD but that seems to be the most complicated way to do

this AND it requires a separate software.

I'm looking for the simplest possible way.

Sorry if I'm not being clear, I'm almost completely clueless when it comes to SSD. Hopefully ye experts will be able to

understand my gibberish lol.

EDIT: oh and I forgot to mention, I'm open to suggestions if you guys think I should get a different SSD. My budget for a SSD
is around 150, and looking for a storage of 128GB. Also I'd priotize stability even if the performance is slightly behind. In that regard, maybe I should just get M4(not to mention it's cheaper)? I'm reading a lot of good things about Vertex 4 128GB though. Or maybe Mushkin Chronos?

Solution
1) On SSDs, My recommendation has been; Curcial M4, Samsung 830, and the Intel 510 or 520. This is primiaily from a perspective of "Least user problems". There are a couple of new players, but not enough track recorded.

2) Found this on OCZ forum - Indicates NO bootable CD yet.
Quote: Since you are limited by the Macbook, you will have to wait for the Bootable Tools updater or temporarily connect the drive as a spare/secondary to a capable Windows-based PC to update. OCZ is working on the Linux based Bootable Tools updater that should work with your MBP - I do not have a timeframe for release but hopefully in the next few weeks. End Quote.

3) With the vertex 4, looks like the only solution for you (No other computer available) is...
I'd avoid OCZ but anyway... build your system, follow the instructions to create a bootable USB and flash it. There's no reason to try and do it on your laptop it'd be the same thing.

The people talking about mirroring to another drive are doing it after they've installed windows and don't want to reinstall because the flash is destructive. there's plenty of free tools to do this or take an image if you ever need to flash firmware after installing.

imapaladin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

Thank you for replying.

However it doesn't say I can do it via the USB/CD method here.
http://www.ocztechnology.com/ssd_tools/OCZ_Vertex_4/
it says "You must run Windows from another drive and then update your SSD using Toolbox."
Or is the USB/CD method universal and an obvious method that they don't even bother to mention it?

First, If I have a choice of updating the firmware from a Bootable CD, or within windows, I choose the bootable CD. Just love it when you get a BSOD right in the middle of the update - rare but DOES happen. I normally use the bootable CD for my Curcial m4 and for My Agillity III.

Look for a Bootable CD method, normally it will be a Linux based ISO.
Yes Do this before you load your operating system, BUT FIRST download Memtest86 Bootable CD ISO. You want to test your Memory before you EVEN think about: Updating the MB Bios, SSD firmware, or installing Windows - memory error can real create Havoc.

Don't forget A) Set Your BIOS to AHCI and B) have ONLY the SSD connected - NO HDDs.

When all is said and done and your system is up and running, all drivers loaded, all programs loaded, Then
Go to Control Panel, select Backup and back up your "C" drive (the SSD). Put the image on the HDD (and as an extra precaution copy to a external HDD). When the image is done it will prompt you to make a bootable repair disk, Your option as you can use the Windows install disk to restore this image to the SSD (Just select repair, then select restore from image).

If You ever need to redo your Installation, such as a distructive firmware update, You can use this image and 10 Miutes later you are booting back to exactly as it was when you made the Image. NO re-install windows, NO wait to download windows updates, NO reload drivers, No reload Programs. If A conserable time has lapsed since you mad the image, redo the image.

Added:
Currently it looks like there is ONLY the "tool box method as of now". Go to the forum and selec the Vertex 4, Also I do not think it will work off of a usb port. Normally it has to be connected to a SATA Port.

One Of the reasons I never recommend OCZ - Not Consummer friendly!!!

Looks Like you're caught between a rock and a Hard spot, can you use a friends PC??

imapaladin

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011

Thank you for the reply.
I think you misunderstood me a little. When I said USB method, I meant plugging the USB into the USB port not the SDD. I'm not that literate when it comes to computers but I at least know that I should plug the SDD into a SATA port and switch to AHCI when flashing it. >.<

That aside, yep, it seems unlike Crucial or other such firmware update utilities, OCZ utilities aren't ISO and don't support USB/CD method.

HOWEVER, there's this method.
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?99275-NEW!-Bootable-Linux-based-tools-for-OCZ-SSD-s
A basic Linux interface I can boot into that allows me to update the firmware after I burn it onto a CD/USB.
But the thing is, I'm not sure if it supports Vertex 4 yet, as it does not say so(unless they're lazy and didn't bother to update the list). I searched around google a bit but I couldn't find if it supports Vertex 4 there either.

I do have a HP laptop but it doesn't have a SATA port and my current computer runs XP so it's not compatible with the software. *sigh

Or will the toolbox run if I create a bootable USB and put it in there? I now you can run Memtest that way, but not sure about the toolbox.

There's the method of just installing Windows 7 onto the harddrive in my new computer, update the firmware using that, and then install the OS again onto the SDD(I know I can transfer it using the easy transfer tool or via other methods, but I read it's better to do a fresh install and there'll be practically nothing on it anyway aside from the OS).
But the question is, I'm going to be purchasing a OEM version of Windows 7, and can I install it on different drives like that?
Does it not matter as long as it's the same MOBO?

Well, since both of you don't seem to be fond of OCZ along with many other people, should I just go for a different SSD like Crucial M4 or Mushkin Chronos?
As I mentioned in the first post, I'm open to suggestion on what SSD I should get as well. I'm going to be ordering the parts in a few days in Canada.

Thanks in advance!

1) On SSDs, My recommendation has been; Curcial M4, Samsung 830, and the Intel 510 or 520. This is primiaily from a perspective of "Least user problems". There are a couple of new players, but not enough track recorded.

2) Found this on OCZ forum - Indicates NO bootable CD yet.
Quote: Since you are limited by the Macbook, you will have to wait for the Bootable Tools updater or temporarily connect the drive as a spare/secondary to a capable Windows-based PC to update. OCZ is working on the Linux based Bootable Tools updater that should work with your MBP - I do not have a timeframe for release but hopefully in the next few weeks. End Quote.

3) With the vertex 4, looks like the only solution for you (No other computer available) is as you indicated is to 1st plug the HDD in Load win 7 and do the Update. BUT would NOT clone/migrate this installation to your SSD - Do the Clean install with HDD disconnected.

4) personnally I would buy a different SSD. Your in canada, but can still go to newegg in US and Between canada newegg and US, Look at the 1/2 egg Percentages and of your options pick the one that fits your price and has the LOWEST 1/2 egg ratings.

Solution