Sign in with
Your question

New Graphics Card freezes computer!Help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 20, 2010 4:55:11 AM

I built a simple computer for my nephew to play some games like WoW,MW/MW2 etc using an old Mobo,CD/DVD drives,sound card,and ram.Everything was going fine during the Mobo testing using a 32M vid card I found lying around in boxes (onboard video is shot).I finish installing Windows 7,updating drivers (still have the 32M video,I might add),again everything's working fine.

I bought a used ATI vid card Radeon 9550 agp,update the drivers with the catalyst drivers.A month goes by then all of a sudden the computer would freeze up randomly.When he would reboot(power off then on) it wouldn't finish loading wins7,the screen would go black with a rainbow colored bar in the center.I waited to see if it would finish loading and I noticed the mouse's sensor is off.So,I reboot and it would do the same thing.I replace the card buying a used Radeon X800XL,and guess what it would freeze up after I updated and rebooted to have the drivers kick in.

So,finally I buy a new card a BFG Geforce 6200 thinking those cards are just dying out.I tried old drivers and nothing changed.The thing I noticed is it freezes up after I update the cards they worked fine in different computers.I tried formatting,scan for viruses,different hard drives flashing the cards bios and another OS.my nephew can't play any games at the moment cause the 32M video card seems to be the only thing that doesn't freeze windows' loading.Did the best I could to update with the proper drivers,I keep telling myself it might be the Mobo,but I'm not 100%.I'm at the end of my rope here.Please help me!!!

Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.091207-1941)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gateway
System Model: 901 XXXXXXX
BIOS: Phoenix FirstBIOS(tm) Desktop v1.00
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 1022MB RAM
Page File: 659MB used, 1386MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1102&DEV_0007&SUBSYS_10061102&REV_00
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 100
Type: WDM
Driver Name: P17.sys
Driver Version: 5.12.0001.2020 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Date and Size: 10/16/2009 02:11:56, 1168896 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: CREATIVE
HW Accel Level: Basic
Cap Flags: 0xF1F
Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX(tm) 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2(tm) Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura(tm) ZoomFX(tm): No
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2010 5:27:05 AM

Im not certain of the exact issue stopping you here but I can tell you this:

You will not get even substandard gaming performance with Windows 7 on a Pentium 4 (even dual core) with 1 gb of ram. My computer uses more than a gig of ram when its idle sometimes... Go back to windows XP and you might have a chance of getting the computer to work alright.

Also.. are you using a power supply as old and cheap as these other parts? A bad power supply could easily be burning out cards.
m
l
March 20, 2010 5:39:34 AM

I don't think it' the OS,as said before I get the same results.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2010 5:47:15 AM

It freezes because you're choking yoru hardware trying it to force to rin Win 7 on 1 Gig RAM and on top of that using a 32mb videocard to play MW2.
m
l
March 20, 2010 6:13:11 AM

Grabing old parts and putting them together is great if you're just putting together a decent workstation, but it's not the same when building a gaming maching. You just can't use old parts and expect it not to have problems.
If you're going to build a gaming machine, read some of Toms articles first. There's a few currently on the home page.
m
l
March 20, 2010 3:46:26 PM

hundredislandsboy said:
It freezes because you're choking yoru hardware trying it to force to rin Win 7 on 1 Gig RAM and on top of that using a 32mb videocard to play MW2.

i never said i was using the 32m card to play games,it was to test the board and hdd to see if it was running (for visual)like i said the onboard video was broken.i bought 3 256m cards ddr1-dd3 memory.i tried other OS xp and 2000 and it still freezes up.hard drive and the 6200 are brand new.everything else is used and i ran windows 7 on a 2ghz comp with 1g ram,no disrespect,but you dont need a thousand dollar comp to run wins7.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 20, 2010 5:07:01 PM

What is the mobo, what is the chipset, and where are you getting the drivers for it?
m
l
!