Unknown cause for system shutdown

Major Sirius

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hi all. I have a new custom-build system I built. It has side ports on the NZXT Apollo case for USB, mic & headphones, and firewire. On a couple occasions the system has gone dead as soon as I plug in either a microphone, or just an Apple iPod cable (no iPhone/iPad/iPod attached - just the cable plugged in)! The system is still powered on, but the screens go dead and it appears to be unresponsive (a streaming video lost sound immediately). Once I shut off the PSU, wait ~ 10 seconds, then reboot it acts as if nothing happened, except for the "Windows did not shut down properly" screen I get at boot up. Help. I am not sure what the cause is and I can list all the components in my system, but I do not believe I have anything exotic. Thanks.

leon2006

Distinguished
You have an overloaded USB port. USB port are current limited and can't support beyond its capacity.

Get a POWERED-USB hub. These are USB hubs that come with power-supply. You connect the hub to your pc. Connect your load to the hub. The POWERED HUB will provide power to whatever USB device you connect on it. This will prevent overloading the USB oport on your pc.

leon2006

Distinguished
You have an overloaded USB port. USB port are current limited and can't support beyond its capacity.

Get a POWERED-USB hub. These are USB hubs that come with power-supply. You connect the hub to your pc. Connect your load to the hub. The POWERED HUB will provide power to whatever USB device you connect on it. This will prevent overloading the USB oport on your pc.

Major Sirius

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I am not certain that can be right. :) I have a 950 watt Corsair PSU in the case. Sure I have a mouse, keyboard, and a UPS data cable plugged into USB ports in the back of the case, but nothing else and I am plugging into the front USB port when the system crashes like this. Today when it crashed I was just plugging the USB iPhone cable with nothing on it for a load. Also, when I plugged a mic into the adjacent mic jack the system has crashed like this as well. HELP!!

shovenose

Distinguished
well, if it is what leon2006 think it is, it wont matter what psu u have. usb ports run off the motherboard. but if i were you, look at the usb ports and see if the pins inside are screwed up. also, make sure yuo attached the usb cable that goes from the ports to the motherboard correctly

Major Sirius

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I looked at the USB connection on the mobo and found zero problems. I changed the connection to another port on the mobo just to try it and see what happens so I will see what happens now that I have done that. But I did not see any bent/broke pins and there seems to be no easy way to screw up connecting the cable to the mobo.