hmmm

Last response: in Video Games
February 13, 2005 6:41:09 PM

Slight problem with Thief 2 here. I have recently upgraded my graphics card
(GeForce 2 Pro) drivers to the latest version and also installed DirectX
9.0c. Now, I haven't played Thief 2 in a while but I could have sworn that
the last time I played it, the guards weren't invisible. In fact, not just
guards - any other characters. All completely invisible. Is this a known
bug, and is there anything that can be done about it? I was really looking
forward to getting back into taffing!

More about : hmmm

Anonymous
February 13, 2005 6:41:10 PM

Not familiar with a GeForce 2 Pro, I use a GeForce4 TI 4400 (ASUS V8440.)

However your card may not be the problem anyway, assuming that before you
upgraded the drivers and DIRECTX it was running THIEF2 OK.

If that's the case try this:

Load THIEF2, goto OPTIONS, VIDEO, HARDWARE DRIVER, and make sure Primary
Display Driver has been selected. If that's not the solution, re-install your
previous set of Drivers, and try THIEF2. If it works, but the new drivers
really help your other programs/games you can always use
them for non-THIEF2 stuff and when you want to play THIEF2 revert back to the
old drivers. It isn't
much of an inconvenience to do so.

If none of this helps it may be your latest DIRECTX installation. I'm using
9.0a under WIN98SE.
If you are using WINXP, there could be a compatibility with the new video
drivers. I don't think you can make DIRECTX "go back," other than reformatting
the hard drive and re-install everything, which
is a ridiculous option.

Hope this helps. Someday I guess I'll be forced to go to WINXP, but most of my
games run just fine under WIN98, and after reading all the install/run problems
under XP I'm not yet ready to go there.

Bob

Paul Harris wrote:

> Slight problem with Thief 2 here. I have recently upgraded my graphics card
> (GeForce 2 Pro) drivers to the latest version and also installed DirectX
> 9.0c. Now, I haven't played Thief 2 in a while but I could have sworn that
> the last time I played it, the guards weren't invisible. In fact, not just
> guards - any other characters. All completely invisible. Is this a known
> bug, and is there anything that can be done about it? I was really looking
> forward to getting back into taffing!
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 6:41:10 PM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 15:41:09 -0000, "Paul Harris"
<paul@NO-SPAMmonkeyland.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Slight problem with Thief 2 here. I have recently upgraded my graphics card
>(GeForce 2 Pro) drivers to the latest version and also installed DirectX
>9.0c. Now, I haven't played Thief 2 in a while but I could have sworn that
>the last time I played it, the guards weren't invisible. In fact, not just
>guards - any other characters. All completely invisible. Is this a known
>bug, and is there anything that can be done about it? I was really looking
>forward to getting back into taffing!

Try opening your user.cfg file and delete the ; from the line that says,
;safe_texture_manager

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

You might also try uninstalling & reinstalling T2. When I upgraded from
Geforce3 to Geforce4, nothing worked until I did a fresh install of T2.
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 10:56:00 PM

In the end I reverted back to the older drivers and it works again. I think
I'll just stick with them.

!