Walmart digital prints - pretty bad...

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 5, 2004 11:54:11 AM

I have an image that I sliced. The image is here:

http://www.pbase.com/bhuether/image/20169168

I have a high res version of it that I sliced into 16 4"x6" slices so that I
essentially have 16"x24" worth of real estate. I did this because I want to
place each slice on a wall, with an inch or so in between each slice, for an
artistic effect. In the link above, note that the color balance is
consistent across the image (well, the balance in the masked part is
different than the surrounding area, but you know what I mean).

So I uploaded these slices to Walmart and picked the prints up an hour
later. I can't even continue with this project, because the color balance is
so vastly different across the slices. When I lay them out and recompose the
full picture, it looks ridiculous. It is as if Walmart applied automated
color processing to each picture, and so there is no continuity between
slices. Does anyone know if that is standard procedure? Some idiot at
Walmart told me it must be my computer...

thanks,

brian
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 1:15:16 PM

Brian Huether wrote:

> So I uploaded these slices to Walmart and picked the prints up an hour
> later. I can't even continue with this project, because the color balance is
> so vastly different across the slices. When I lay them out and recompose the
> full picture, it looks ridiculous. It is as if Walmart applied automated
> color processing to each picture, and so there is no continuity between
> slices. Does anyone know if that is standard procedure? Some idiot at
> Walmart told me it must be my computer...

I find WalMart very inconsistent also. I dropped off a roll of film
and some images on a CD for 1 hr printing.. The results for both were awful.
The color was inconsistent there were hair marks and splotches on the prints.

This was near last Christmas and there was a pretty long line at the photo
counter most of the day so I'd imagine the equipment was running
overtime without the neccesary cleaning/calibration.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 1:48:24 PM

At most places that do wet prints, every picture is going to be
individually white balanced (the lightest pixel turned white, darkest
pixel turned black), and color corrected (especially skin tones, and
blue sky). Most operators do not know how to turn this off.

For something like what you are doing, you need to become friends with
an operator that knows how to turn it off. Which is not going to be
likely in a place that does 20 cent prints.

Brian Huether wrote:
> I have an image that I sliced. The image is here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bhuether/image/20169168
>
> I have a high res version of it that I sliced into 16 4"x6" slices so that I
> essentially have 16"x24" worth of real estate. I did this because I want to
> place each slice on a wall, with an inch or so in between each slice, for an
> artistic effect. In the link above, note that the color balance is
> consistent across the image (well, the balance in the masked part is
> different than the surrounding area, but you know what I mean).
>
> So I uploaded these slices to Walmart and picked the prints up an hour
> later. I can't even continue with this project, because the color balance is
> so vastly different across the slices. When I lay them out and recompose the
> full picture, it looks ridiculous. It is as if Walmart applied automated
> color processing to each picture, and so there is no continuity between
> slices. Does anyone know if that is standard procedure? Some idiot at
> Walmart told me it must be my computer...
>
> thanks,
>
> brian

December 5, 2004 2:47:12 PM

Brian Huether wrote:
> I have an image that I sliced. The image is here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bhuether/image/20169168
>
> I have a high res version of it that I sliced into 16 4"x6" slices so that I
> essentially have 16"x24" worth of real estate. I did this because I want to
> place each slice on a wall, with an inch or so in between each slice, for an
> artistic effect. In the link above, note that the color balance is
> consistent across the image (well, the balance in the masked part is
> different than the surrounding area, but you know what I mean).
>
> So I uploaded these slices to Walmart and picked the prints up an hour
> later. I can't even continue with this project, because the color balance is
> so vastly different across the slices. When I lay them out and recompose the
> full picture, it looks ridiculous. It is as if Walmart applied automated
> color processing to each picture, and so there is no continuity between
> slices. Does anyone know if that is standard procedure? Some idiot at
> Walmart told me it must be my computer...
>
> thanks,
>
> brian

December 5, 2004 3:36:14 PM

"Brian Huether" <bhuetherNO@guitarSP-dreams.AMcom> wrote in message news:<pu2dnaA6u65vjy7cRVn-iQ@comcast.com>...
> I have an image that I sliced. The image is here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bhuether/image/20169168
>
> I have a high res version of it that I sliced into 16 4"x6" slices so that I
> essentially have 16"x24" worth of real estate. I did this because I want to
> place each slice on a wall, with an inch or so in between each slice, for an
> artistic effect. In the link above, note that the color balance is
> consistent across the image (well, the balance in the masked part is
> different than the surrounding area, but you know what I mean).
>
> So I uploaded these slices to Walmart and picked the prints up an hour
> later. I can't even continue with this project, because the color balance is
> so vastly different across the slices. When I lay them out and recompose the
> full picture, it looks ridiculous. It is as if Walmart applied automated
> color processing to each picture, and so there is no continuity between
> slices. Does anyone know if that is standard procedure? Some idiot at
> Walmart told me it must be my computer...
>
> thanks,
>
> brian

The prints at Walmart do vary in quality depending on which store you
got to - pick the newest store in your area to get the best prints.
For your project, you may have to find a specialty photo shop in your
area; Walmart prints fine vacation snaps but "art" prints they're not.
Still, you may be able to work with them...

The images you download have to be actually edited on the "Kiosk at
Home" so that the store won't touch the color and white balance - if
you just download them, they will be "adjusted".

A better alternative is to take your photos to the store on a CD-R or
a flash card, and load them through the Fuji Kiosk at the photo
counter. Select each image, and adjust the crop - you'll have to do
that anyways, to avoid a 1/4" border crop that is applied to all
images. I usually try to add a 1/4" black border to my files I take
in, so that they just crop it off and leave my image alone. Then print
the edited images - they won't have any color adjustment applied.

ECM
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 3:47:18 PM

Come on...it's Walmart, what did you expect? If you want professional
results, either buy a good printer, and do it yourself, or pay a
professional service.

Bill Crocker

"Brian Huether" <bhuetherNO@guitarSP-dreams.AMcom> wrote in message
news:p u2dnaA6u65vjy7cRVn-iQ@comcast.com...
>I have an image that I sliced. The image is here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bhuether/image/20169168
>
> I have a high res version of it that I sliced into 16 4"x6" slices so that
> I essentially have 16"x24" worth of real estate. I did this because I want
> to place each slice on a wall, with an inch or so in between each slice,
> for an artistic effect. In the link above, note that the color balance is
> consistent across the image (well, the balance in the masked part is
> different than the surrounding area, but you know what I mean).
>
> So I uploaded these slices to Walmart and picked the prints up an hour
> later. I can't even continue with this project, because the color balance
> is so vastly different across the slices. When I lay them out and
> recompose the full picture, it looks ridiculous. It is as if Walmart
> applied automated color processing to each picture, and so there is no
> continuity between slices. Does anyone know if that is standard procedure?
> Some idiot at Walmart told me it must be my computer...
>
> thanks,
>
> brian

Anonymous
December 5, 2004 4:05:02 PM

In article <pu2dnaA6u65vjy7cRVn-iQ@comcast.com>,
"Brian Huether" <bhuetherNO@guitarSP-dreams.AMcom> wrote:

> I have an image that I sliced. The image is here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bhuether/image/20169168
>
> I have a high res version of it that I sliced into 16 4"x6" slices so that I
> essentially have 16"x24" worth of real estate. I did this because I want to
> place each slice on a wall, with an inch or so in between each slice, for an
> artistic effect. In the link above, note that the color balance is
> consistent across the image (well, the balance in the masked part is
> different than the surrounding area, but you know what I mean).
>
> So I uploaded these slices to Walmart and picked the prints up an hour
> later. I can't even continue with this project, because the color balance is
> so vastly different across the slices. When I lay them out and recompose the
> full picture, it looks ridiculous. It is as if Walmart applied automated
> color processing to each picture, and so there is no continuity between
> slices. Does anyone know if that is standard procedure? Some idiot at
> Walmart told me it must be my computer...
>
> thanks,
>
> brian

Shutterfly lets you turn off automatic color correction so all of your
photos will exactly match. Click on the "View & enhance" tab, choose
your album, click the "Enhance/fix pictures" side link, click on the
"Effects" mini-tab, then click the "Don't apply automatic..." checkbox
on the left. You can then click "Apply this Effect to other pictures",
select all, and then click "Next ->".

http://www.shutterfly.com/
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 5:40:24 PM

Brian,

The obvious lesson can be restated as a question, "When you go to Burger
King, do you expect to get a NY strip steak done medium rare?"

It seems that you wanted something a bit above the hamburger level, and
cannot expect it from untrained burger flippers.

Respectfully,

PSsquare

"Brian Huether" <bhuetherNO@guitarSP-dreams.AMcom> wrote in message
news:p u2dnaA6u65vjy7cRVn-iQ@comcast.com...
> I have an image that I sliced. The image is here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bhuether/image/20169168
>
> I have a high res version of it that I sliced into 16 4"x6" slices so that
> essentially have 16"x24" worth of real estate. I did this because I want
> place each slice on a wall, with an inch or so in between each slice, for
an
> artistic effect. In the link above, note that the color balance is
> consistent across the image (well, the balance in the masked part is
> different than the surrounding area, but you know what I mean).
>
> So I uploaded these slices to Walmart and picked the prints up an hour
> later. I can't even continue with this project, because the color balance
is
> so vastly different across the slices. When I lay them out and recompose
the
> full picture, it looks ridiculous. It is as if Walmart applied automated
> color processing to each picture, and so there is no continuity between
> slices. Does anyone know if that is standard procedure? Some idiot at
> Walmart told me it must be my computer...
>
> thanks,
>
> brian

December 5, 2004 6:32:01 PM

"Brian Huether" <bhuetherNO@guitarSP-dreams.AMcom> wrote in message
news:p u2dnaA6u65vjy7cRVn-iQ@comcast.com...
>I have an image that I sliced. The image is here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bhuether/image/20169168
>
> I have a high res version of it that I sliced into 16 4"x6" slices so that
> I essentially have 16"x24" worth of real estate. I did this because I want
> to place each slice on a wall, with an inch or so in between each slice,
> for an artistic effect. In the link above, note that the color balance is
> consistent across the image (well, the balance in the masked part is
> different than the surrounding area, but you know what I mean).
>
> So I uploaded these slices to Walmart and picked the prints up an hour
> later. I can't even continue with this project, because the color balance
> is so vastly different across the slices. When I lay them out and
> recompose the full picture, it looks ridiculous. It is as if Walmart
> applied automated color processing to each picture, and so there is no
> continuity between slices. Does anyone know if that is standard procedure?
> Some idiot at Walmart told me it must be my computer...
>
> thanks,
>
> brian

You are doing unconventional thing and you should know exactly how to do it
correctly.

http://drycreekphoto.com/

You do need to convert your image using the special color profile for THE
equipment in the store location you're printing and, more importantly,
specificially request no adjustment at the time of printing.
December 5, 2004 9:07:02 PM

You got what you paid for at Walmart - cheap and nasty work. So either go
to a real lab and stop bitching, or forgedaboudit and stop bitching - but
mainly stop bitching - you are at fault here, not the cheese brains at Wally
World.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

"Brian Huether" <bhuetherNO@guitarSP-dreams.AMcom> wrote in message
news:p u2dnaA6u65vjy7cRVn-iQ@comcast.com...
> I have an image that I sliced. The image is here:
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bhuether/image/20169168
>
> I have a high res version of it that I sliced into 16 4"x6" slices so that
> essentially have 16"x24" worth of real estate. I did this because I want
> place each slice on a wall, with an inch or so in between each slice, for
an
> artistic effect. In the link above, note that the color balance is
> consistent across the image (well, the balance in the masked part is
> different than the surrounding area, but you know what I mean).
>
> So I uploaded these slices to Walmart and picked the prints up an hour
> later. I can't even continue with this project, because the color balance
is
> so vastly different across the slices. When I lay them out and recompose
the
> full picture, it looks ridiculous. It is as if Walmart applied automated
> color processing to each picture, and so there is no continuity between
> slices. Does anyone know if that is standard procedure? Some idiot at
> Walmart told me it must be my computer...
>
> thanks,
>
> brian

Anonymous
December 6, 2004 6:09:10 PM

Brian Huether <bhuetherNO@guitarsp-dreams.amcom> wrote:
:
: full picture, it looks ridiculous. It is as if Walmart applied automated
: color processing to each picture, and so there is no continuity between
: slices. Does anyone know if that is standard procedure? Some idiot at
: Walmart told me it must be my computer...
:

When I used to work at a 1-hour photo lab, I asked the experienced
operators there if there was any way to "lock" the color balance settings
so that you could go off of a reference frame and print the whole roll
with the same settings.

They just looked at me blankly.

A lot of experimentation with the machine (don't remember what it was,
exactly, as it was 18 years ago) left me frustrated. It did an auto color
balance on every frame. You could, as an operator, add your OWN balance
varations to the print, but you were always tweaking away from what the
machine determined for each frame, not from a set reference point.

So... it's quite likely that whatever they're using to do the prints from
your Walmart order is working the same way. Sounds like you want a custom
lab. :-(

-Charles

--
Charles Robinson
Minneapolis, MN

<
< http://www.pbase.com/bhuether/image/20169168
<
< I have a high res version of it that I sliced into 16 4"x6" slices so that I
< essentially have 16"x24" worth of real estate. I did this because I want to
< place each slice on a wall, with an inch or so in between each slice, for an
< artistic effect. In the link above, note that the color balance is

May I ask how you sliced the image? Are there programs that can slice
things the way you did automatically? Also, doesn't the images printed
at walmart crop things a little? I have not used them, but my experience
with the local drug store's self-service print machine trims the 4x6
photos a little, even if the correct image aspect ratio provided.

I really enjoyed viewing your other IR photos that are online.

--
Jose Ng - un@gehennom | BEER
Behaviour, Effect, Expectation, Results. The headings by which to

Digital Print Puls provides digital printing, commercial printing, booklet & brochure printing, short run printing etc with low cost delivery charges.

http://digitalprintplus.co.uk/
!