Solved

Names

I would be extremely thankful if someone could explain to me how graphics cards are named. Currently, all of the names look like the same mumbo-jumbo to me. Throw in some numbers, a weird word, and a few letters.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about names
  1. it depends on the series, brand or manufacterer.

generally, the higher tyhe number the better.

for instance, in ati cards, the first number is the series: 5xxx is a 5 series card.

58xx is better than 57xx and a 5870 is better than 5850.

with nvidia, its virtually the same with a 9500gt being better than a 9400. but more letters is good too, with a 9800gtx+ being better than a 980gt. it then also splits off though, with thew high end cards being '200' series. GTX260 or GTX 285 for instance.

it ca be a little confusing, are there particular cards you are looking at?
  2. welshmousepk said:
    it depends on the series, brand or manufacterer.

generally, the higher tyhe number the better.

for instance, in ati cards, the first number is the series: 5xxx is a 5 series card.

58xx is better than 57xx and a 5870 is better than 5850.

with nvidia, its virtually the same with a 9500gt being better than a 9400. but more letters is good too, with a 9800gtx+ being better than a 980gt. it then also splits off though, with thew high end cards being '200' series. GTX260 or GTX 285 for instance.

it ca be a little confusing, are there particular cards you are looking at?

Thank you. :)

No, I'm not looking at any particular card. Something around 100-150 $. My main problem was that I just didn't know how the names worked and it was causing problems.

Again, thanks. :)
  3. lol, no problem. and good luck looking for a card.

id suggest either an nvidia GTS250 or an ATI 5770 in that price range btw.
  4. Best answer
  5. Best answer selected by jakew120.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics