Best CPU air based cooler for Intel I980

Moo Strength

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
I recently bought an Intel i7-980x Hex Core (my wife works for Intel, and given what her discount is as an engineer for them, I'd be a fool to not utilize the savings to buy a top of the line CPU.

I was all set to purchase a Corsair H50 cooler for it, as I would like to overclock, until I made a post on another similar forum like this one only to find it doesn't perform that well on the i7-980x's, especially when it comes to over clocking.

So I'm a bit stumped for now, as to which CPU cooler I should buy. It's been about 2 years since my last build, and on an Intel 8400 I bought a Zalman CPU cooler for that, but since I've never had a top of the line CPU really before now, I'd like some advice on what to buy. Cost is not an issue really.

I've considered Water Cooling, but from what I've read it appears I could do almost as good with just air cooling; I've not built a computer that uses water cooling so I'm a bit hesitant to do so now, and I tend to leave my computer on all the time, so I'm not sure if I should be using water cooling so much given those two factors.

My case will be the Corsair 800D, and my system board will be the Asus Rampage III Extreme.

I'd really like to know what others who own the i7-980x have used.