Sign in with
Your question

Laptop: 2.5" hydbrid, or msata pci-e + platter 2.5"?

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Laptops
  • Storage
  • PCI Express
Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b G Storage
May 14, 2012 9:48:32 AM

Hi all,

OK, I have an IBM Lenovo Thinkpad X200 laptop. I am in the process of buying some storage for it. I would like the speed of a SSD but can't live with the limited storage capacity.

The way I see it, I have two options.

1. Seagate Momentus XT 750GB hybid 2.5" drive
2. mSATA PCI-e mini SSD (16 or 32Gb) + 2.5" platter drive

I have two spare PCI-e mini slots inside the PC, one half size and one full-size. What would you recommend I go with?

TIA,

More about : laptop hydbrid msata pci platter

a b D Laptop
a c 544 G Storage
May 14, 2012 11:51:32 PM

Quote:
What would you recommend I go with?

That depends on your budget.

Option 1 is the least expensive. Option 2 is the best performance.

August 6, 2012 10:39:50 AM

Yeah, what he said. :) 

Actually I was in the same situation with a different laptop.

Tested the Seagate: maxed out at 117MB/sec read and write. Appears to be some kind of limit, as that was quickly reached as the test sizes increased and then stayed there (+/- 3MB/sec) throughout the test.

Tested the Crucial m4 256GB mSATA: hit 233MB/sec write and 443MB/sec read.

If you can afford it, a 256GB mSATA SSD for boot and a 512GB SSD (2.5") for data would be the cat's meow. Yes, it's $600 worth of SSD, but it's sweet.

Second to that, the mSATA for boot/OS/apps and the Seagate for data would give you most of the performance for $300 less total. You'd also end up with a total of 1TB of storage.

Just to put the Seagate in perspective: I've got three WD 600GB 3.5" desktop hard drives (Black label, 7200 RPM) in a RAID0 array, and that array posted similar read and write speeds to the Seagate all by itself. Not bad for a 2.5" drive against 3x3.5" drives, eh?

Good luck!

Stephen
!