Sign in with
Your question

[Memory] Strange fluctuations in RAM usage

Last response: in Memory
December 18, 2010 12:57:00 AM

I have been having some strange issues with my RAM recently and would like to know how I can fix it.
In the past week I've felt my system has slowed down from time to time, and after looking at the task manager, I noticed that after opening a big program like photoshop or playing an HD video in VLC the physical memory usage goes up to 95% and totally slows my system to a crawl for a good 5-10 minutes, and then it drops back down to normal. During this time opening anything, even explorer to look into folders, is painfully slow. I've never experienced anything like this and this system has been working well for over a year, only recent addition is a new HDD.

The tasks in the task manager are what I usually see, and none of them are using an incredible amount of memory, so I'm not quite sure what the problem could be. Any help is really appreciated

Specs:
Windows 7 ultimate x64
Asus p7p55d mobo
4 GB DDR3 Geil Ram - Default setting on BIOS for timings/latency & voltage
ATI 4850 512 MB
OCZ 550 fatality PSU (2x12V rail with over 32A combined)
3x HDD

a b } Memory
December 18, 2010 2:09:25 PM

Download HDTune pro trial and run a quick S.M.A.R.T. test on each of your HDDs, see if it passes.

If HDDs are ok then download prime 95 and run blend test for about an hour, post results.
m
l
December 18, 2010 3:37:55 PM

After doing the tests, there was nothing really notable going on. All the HDDs were perfectly fine and all prime95 did was rev my CPU up to 100% while the ram sat at about 40-50% use.

After a quick reboot, windows 7 now only recognizes 2GB out of my 4GB! Even though on BIOS it reports the full 4GB, in the windows 7 properties section, my RAM is listed as 4GB (1.99GB usable) What does this mean?! Am i dealing with a faulty stick of RAM?
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
December 18, 2010 4:01:15 PM

Found this on a forum.

"I figured it out. After tinkering with it for a few hours, it turns out that the "Memory Reamp" needs to be enabled. On some Asus mobo's and a few other brands, when Win 7 is installed it recognizes that this problem. The problem was there all along and people just didn't know it until Win 7 was installed and pointed it out as a precursor to a BIOS problem that had been there the whole time.
1 Enter BIOS
2 Advanced
3 Chipset Settings
4 Enable Memory Reamp Feature
5 Exit and Save
6 You're Done!"

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-197079-total-install...

*It's actually Memory Remap, the guy on the forum made a typo.
m
l
December 18, 2010 4:09:55 PM

Thanks for the post. I already took a look at that and disabled it (win 7 recognized 3.25 gb) and then re- enabled the feature and I'm still at 1.99gb out of 4. Very strange situation because CPU-z also sees 4 gigs but windows it not using it correctly
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
December 18, 2010 4:23:38 PM

My INITIAL assumption was 'crapware' or maybe a virus. Run MSCONFIG and select Diagnostic. -- until I read more.

This is very common 5-10 times per day post.

After reading however either bad BIOS setting, bad stick, mix-matched RAM, or bent CPU pin {P55 are notorious for this}.

Q - What EXACT RAM are you running - please post the EXACT part-numbers; I prefer a link to your RAM. e.g. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If needed then use CPUz {SPD tab}.

In addition, after you post the RAM I'll look-up the BIOS settings needed. Under the conditions I've described above the BIOS recognizing the RAM only means the DIMM slots and MOBO are seeing the RAM, but if the BIOS is the cause it is disabling the RAM to prevent errors or damage - however if the CPU has a bent pin then the RAM cannot be processed and the BIOS still disables it.

Please post the following:

Check the following:
m
l
December 18, 2010 6:23:15 PM

I have ran virus scans and cleared anything that came up with no change in performance. This is a year old build so bent CPU pins don't seem likely, unless they can be damaged in another way. I recently added a WD 1TB HDD (about a week ago) and this problem started a few days ago. I reset BIOS to default to see if it would fix it but it hasn't done anything. Here are the specifications for my RAM:
http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=4...

- edit

m
l
December 18, 2010 10:24:16 PM

Slight update - i noticed the physical memory usage problems arise when accessing files on the newly installed hdd. Very odd, since the drive worked fine for a few days after it was installed. I've ran a quick scan of the drive using hdtool and everything looked fine, so I really am wondering what's going on?

After testing, the problem happens with files on all 3 HDDs - so clearly not a HDD issue

m
l
a c 347 } Memory
December 20, 2010 1:24:41 PM

Verify that the RAM is installed in the proper slots listed below, and I too would recommend that you Clear CMOS {shorting method}. If that fails then I would recommend that you RAM/exchange your RAM for Tested Corsair -> http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.asp...
m
l
!