Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Should change cpu cooler?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 27, 2013 2:13:13 PM

I'm thinking about buying a noctua nh-d14, but I'm wondering whether it's a waste of money. As of now I have a Hyper 212 evo from a previous build. Temps are more than reasonable both in idle and load (25-30 and 55). Reason for wanting to buy a noctua is because I want to overclock and I have read forums/reviews that the ivy-bridge cpus get a lot hotter than the previous like the sandy bridge. I just upgraded from an amd to intel build this week. Another thing is I don't want to move towards liquid cooling, so any suggestions besides the noctua, so please only suggest air cooling heatsinks.

Here are my specs:

AsRock z77 Extreme4
i5-3570K
G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 (2x4gb)
Gigabyte Radeon 7970
Crucial m4 256gb
XFX 750W XXX Edition
CM Hyper 212 EVO
CM HAF 922
1 tb Samsung Spinpoint F3
250 gb Maxtor

Thanks Guys! :) 

More about : change cpu cooler

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 9:51:42 PM

Yes, if you plan to overclock your ivybridge I would urge you to get a better cooler. If you don't wanna go with water I don't have any better suggestions than the d14..

and yes, the ivybridge cpus get much hotter than sandybridge. In fact intel raised their max safe temp limit from 101c to 105c...
Related resources
March 2, 2013 3:57:07 PM

videl said:
Yes, if you plan to overclock your ivybridge I would urge you to get a better cooler. If you don't wanna go with water I don't have any better suggestions than the d14..

and yes, the ivybridge cpus get much hotter than sandybridge. In fact intel raised their max safe temp limit from 101c to 105c...

Just curious, what do you think is best cooler (liquid/air; even though I would prefer air) for overclocking the i5-3570k?
March 3, 2013 7:31:12 AM

Best answer selected by jsagaga02.
!