Sign in with
Your question

I5 3570K 4.6-4.8 Goal

Last response: in Overclocking
February 27, 2013 3:27:00 PM

This was my second gaming build and I built with the intention to OC this time. I spent a couple of days reading and trying to learn what I can before trying.I found and followed the very well put together guide ( Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition)
http://www.overclock.net/t/1198504/complete-overclockin...

My build is :

-Core i5 3570K
-Vengeance Series 16GB(2x8gb) DDR3-1866 (PC3-15000)
-NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti Superclocked+ 3072MB PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card\
-Caviar Black 1TB 7,200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
-Hydro Series H80i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
-Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard
-COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-650-ACAA-A1 650W ATX Form Factor 12V V2.3 / SSI Standard EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply (from my last PC but still runs great, I hope )

Like the guide said, I set the Offset to +0.005v and set the Turbo Boost to +0.004v. I was able to pass the test with a multiplier of 45 but 46 wouldnt boot up. I went on to the next part and put the multiplier to 46 and increased the turbo by one spot ( I believe to +0.008v). The BSOD i would get was mainly to add Vcore. I increased the turbo up about 4-5 different times which I think I stopped at +0.024V turbo. Would I keep adding the turbo or also up the offset? Whiled trying to find the right voltage, I also received the BSOD "0xD1" 0xD1 = QPI/VTT, increase/decrease as necessary, can also be unstable Ram, raise Ram voltage. After the "=" is the guides answer/solution. My Ram voltage was at 1.5v which I think is where it should be from a little research?

The only reason I am not content with the 4.5GHz that seems like it would be very easy to keep stable is because I feel like I can easily go higher and I am just not fully understanding where I should make changes after 4.5. My max temp of the 4 cores during the prime95 test was about 67-68C. Since the Max is 105C and I know I dont want to be anywhere too close, I wanted to see if I could get closer to 75-80C with a better OC.

I also noticed in the BIOS that the Ram I got was set to 1333 which I bought 1866. I changed this too and added the right timing.

If there is any information that I left out and someone may need to help me out, just let me know and I will provide it ASAP. This is my first OC so sorry if I have any misunderstandings here.

More about : 3570k goal

a b å Intel
a c 127 K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 3:40:43 PM

How good you can go is determined by the quality of your particular 3570K chip.
Newer batches are likely to yield higher OC. and the particular sample within that batch matters also.
Not all chips will do 4.6-4.8 regardless of cooling or tweaking.

If you are a competitive overclocker seeking the absolute highest, they try another chip. You might eventually find a golden one.
More likely, you really only need a more modest oc for gaming or apps, and should be satisfied with whatever is stable.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 27, 2013 3:44:30 PM

Also, I was going to come in here and say that you're not going to hit that on air cooling.

Look at your rig, I'm going to come in here and say that you're not going to hit that unless you have real water cooling.

As for the target mark, keep in mind that ivy bridge can't overclock as high as sandy, but since it's faster, it ends up a wash anyways.

Like geofelt said, you could run a 3570k at stock, and it would make no difference over running it at 5GHz in most gaming usages.
m
l
Related resources
February 27, 2013 3:50:18 PM

I am just looking for something fast and stable so I guess i should maybe stick the the 4.5 that passed the Prime95 test. Since this is my first OC, i doubt i will be able to tell if I have a great chip or not.

@DarkSable, I have Hydro Series H80i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
for cooling. You said "real water cooling" and I was just wondering if mine is bad? I had read some reviews and everyone said it was pretty good.
m
l
February 27, 2013 3:51:03 PM

I am just looking for something fast and stable so I guess i should maybe stick the the 4.5 that passed the Prime95 test. Since this is my first OC, i doubt i will be able to tell if I have a great chip or not.

@DarkSable, I have Hydro Series H80i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
for cooling. You said "real water cooling" and I was just wondering if mine is bad? I had read some reviews and everyone said it was pretty good.

Edit: sorry for double post
m
l
February 27, 2013 5:35:58 PM

geofelt said:
How good you can go is determined by the quality of your particular 3570K chip.
Newer batches are likely to yield higher OC. and the particular sample within that batch matters also.
Not all chips will do 4.6-4.8 regardless of cooling or tweaking.

If you are a competitive overclocker seeking the absolute highest, they try another chip. You might eventually find a golden one.
More likely, you really only need a more modest oc for gaming or apps, and should be satisfied with whatever is stable.

I just got back from lunch and I played around with the voltage a little. I was able to boot into windows at 1.290 but froze during the prime95 stress test. I went up to 1.295 and had about 2 min to play around with it before I had to go back to work. I know you said not all chips will get up to 4.6 but if I were to fail another stress test at the 1.295, would I be better off adding additional turbo voltage or increasing the Vcore? or both / neither. I believe my Additional turbo is on auto right now.
m
l
February 27, 2013 6:49:49 PM

Did you disable turbo? I usually start with overclocking the "FSB" before I turn to multiplier.
Keep you memories down at 1333...once you start playing with FSB they will go up.
m
l
February 27, 2013 6:58:56 PM

maxinexus said:
Did you disable turbo? I usually start with overclocking the "FSB" before I turn to multiplier.
Keep you memories down at 1333...once you start playing with FSB they will go up.

No, I am pretty sure I left the turbo on Auto. I will have to disable that.
m
l
February 28, 2013 12:57:14 PM

I was stable all night at 4.5GHz with a voltage of 1.285. Temps were in the low 60's. I was able to boot into windows at 4.6-4.7 going above 1.3V with temps getting up to 75-78C. I was still getting some errors so I think I will just settle for the 4.5. I will get bored here and there and will try to find something stable a little higher. If anything works I will be sure to post back here. Thank you for your help!
m
l
March 1, 2013 10:19:41 AM

Schultze I have the Asrock Extreme4 with 3570k and have spent literally hours upon hours doing nothing but trying different voltage settings with each different llc setting with each different ram setting/c state settting/ etc and if you're okay with 4.5ghz then i can send you some settings to try that have yielded me stable all night prime runs + stable 75run IBT tests on high settings with prime temps not going over 58c and ibt temps not going over 81c and I'm on the h100 2 fan setup push with stock fans. if you're still in need pm me or just let me know throug hthis post and ill post them fory ou
m
l
March 1, 2013 12:56:34 PM

clintwilks said:
Schultze I have the Asrock Extreme4 with 3570k and have spent literally hours upon hours doing nothing but trying different voltage settings with each different llc setting with each different ram setting/c state settting/ etc and if you're okay with 4.5ghz then i can send you some settings to try that have yielded me stable all night prime runs + stable 75run IBT tests on high settings with prime temps not going over 58c and ibt temps not going over 81c and I'm on the h100 2 fan setup push with stock fans. if you're still in need pm me or just let me know throug hthis post and ill post them fory ou

Yeah if you wouldnt mind. I am stable at 4.5GHz but cannot seem to get any higher. I am at about 65c while at 4.5GHz so I know I can go higher but just cant get stable. I am new so maybe I am just making a mistake. I would still love to go a little higher just to push the limits of my chip.
m
l
a c 116 å Intel
a c 378 K Overclocking
March 1, 2013 1:12:35 PM

4.6 ghz.\1.28 volts here on AIR with Noctua NH-D14,max temps under load about 75 degrees.
m
l
March 1, 2013 1:29:13 PM

SR-71 Blackbird said:
4.6 ghz.\1.28 volts here on AIR with Noctua NH-D14,max temps under load about 75 degrees.

Nice! It took me 1.285 to get stable at 4.5. I can boot into windows at 4.6 but got BSOD a couple time. Got tired of trying that night.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2013 2:02:37 PM

You need to up your Vcore I think. My stable overclocks are 4.5Ghz @ 1.300, 4.7Ghz @ 1.375, 4.8Ghz @ 1.420. For 4.6Ghz you'll probably nee 1.350 Vcore. Around that area. Going past4.5Ghz requires big voltage changes. Turn intel speed step off if you want to make for a solid overclock. So your chip isn't constantly going up and down and up and down.
m
l
March 1, 2013 2:06:02 PM

ericjohn004 said:
You need to up your Vcore I think. My stable overclocks are 4.5Ghz @ 1.300, 4.7Ghz @ 1.375, 4.8Ghz @ 1.420. For 4.6Ghz you'll probably nee 1.350 Vcore. Around that area. Going past4.5Ghz requires big voltage changes. Turn intel speed step off if you want to make for a solid overclock. So your chip isn't constantly going up and down and up and down.

Ok thanks! I will try that out tonight and see what happens. I know I got up to 1.330-40 when I gave up but intel speed step has been on. Maybe that will help.
m
l
March 3, 2013 11:49:15 PM

Well on a hyper 212 evo my 3570k couldn't get past 4.2 no matter what i tried. I spent 6 hours the other day tweeking it. I finally just settled with 4.2 @1.182v. The max load temps don't even hit 68c.
m
l
!