Graphics card HELP!

steve_smb

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Ok I bought this NVIDA 8400GS card off ebay. it has a PCI e slot and fit in to my desktop (3.4 Ghz, 2GB RAM, WIN XP PRO ) and everything worked fine. I instaled the drivers and all was good. Until i needed to remove it to try and fit another card ( WRONG PCI config!) so i replaced the 8400GS and now when ever I trun on the computer it shuts down and reboots before any thing else happens. it will boot without the card instaled (using the internal card for graphics) but why will it not boot now when it did before. Am I missing something.

Thanks for any help... :)

Make sure the order for detecting the GPU is correct in the BIOS. PCI first, onboard second. If that it correct, the first thing you do is boot to Windows, uninstall the drivers for the onboard you are running now, make sure Windows is running with the generic VGA drivers, shut down, reinstall your PCIe card, reboot, reinstall all the drivers for the PCIe card again.

steve_smb

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
I got the 8400GS to work but then got a better card to replace that didn't fit. So i replaced the 8400GS and now the system wont boot !
ALSO NEW PROBLEM
after following advice from other websites i disabled the onboard graphics card and now it still won't boot + i can see nothing !

If i can reload BIOS defualts this should reenable the on board card but i can't see to do it, any ideas on keyboard combinations?..

Thanks

steve_smb

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010

have tried unistalling still the same problem.?

steve_smb

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2010
Have tried this but still the same problem, when ever the card is instaled the computer will simply not start ( even show the first BIOS screen), I have tried unpluging other hardware such as fans and optical drives to see if it was more power that it needed but still the same.. Any ideas
Thanks for all your help so far..

Okay, I am starting to see what you are doing. Does your PSU supply enough power for the new card you have? Unplugging things doesn't really do much here, as different items run on different rails. Either your PSU is up to task, or it is not.
Did you get the 8400GS working again?